• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Revelstoke Avalanche at Keystone

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
My thoughts and prayers go out his family and friends. Now I have to go look at my kids sleeping in their beds, that story makes you appreciate family and friends even more. RS

To Tim and families and friends - our sympathies. Especially horrible to be on the Family Day weekend.
I read the CAC incident report that Ray posted the link for (nice words btw Ray ;) ) That was quite a dig in less than 21 minutes. Very impressive. There must have been very efficient scene management and lots of motivated friends with good quality gear. Sounds like many things must have gone right.
Tim, I hope that you don't mind...I have created a link on our website to this thread. Your words will encourage others to reconsider their riding choices and may very well result in saved lives. It is always hard to know how much reports like yours do change people's 'it can't happen to me' feelings...but I really believe that the efforts are worth it.
The communication on this website is phenomenal and I know that it has influenced many sledders to invest in avalanche training.
Here are links to other first person accounts.
http://zacstracs.com/Newsletters/70/too-close-for-comfort
http://zacstracs.com/Newsletters/94/close-call
http://zacstracs.com/Newsletters/100/a-dozen-more-turns

=====

We were teaching in Clemina Creek, south of Valemount on Feb 16. From the trail, (before the cabin), we saw a naturally triggered slab avalanche on a wind loaded NE alpine slope. ~ size 2.

152.jpg

Around noon we were watching some sledders hill climbing on a mountain adjacent to the one with the avy that had the same elevation and orientation to sun and wind. We were busy with a beacon exercise when Carole noticed that they had triggered the slope. Randy & Carole went up to see if they needed any help, but everyone was ok. Fairly open run out.

150.jpg

From the meadow the slide looked much larger than it looks in these photos. Distance can be very deceiving.
Notice the sled track that is visible in the next photo. It cut into the bed surface of the avalanche, right over a convex roll. Not sure if this was the actual sled track that triggered the slide as all the witnesses had left the bowl by this time.
151.jpg

Sure did not like the Calgary Hereald quote "A Calgary man was killed in an avalanche triggered by the group of snowmobilers he was traveling with in the backcountry near Revelstoke, B.C. " NO WE DID NOT TRIGGER THE SLIDE !

Very sad story, and thoughts and prayers out to the family. Stories like this make a flatlander newbie a little scared to come out on a year like this. Safety is #1 and now that I have read this, may take the course before I come out and ride again.

Sure did not like the Calgary Hereald quote "A Calgary man was killed in an avalanche triggered by the group of snowmobilers he was traveling with in the backcountry near Revelstoke, B.C. " NO WE DID NOT TRIGGER THE SLIDE !

Just another media screw up, don't take it personally. It sounds like everyone there went above and beyond. I talked to 5 or 6 people that were there and it sounds like it was more than stressfull for everyone, and not something anyone will soon forget. Like was said before, if the area looks at all bad, just stay away. There was also small slides everywhere at Boulder Saturday, so we stayed away from the big stuff.
NM

So sorry to hear of this. :brokenheart: I thank you for sharing your story, and for sharing it in a well written, thought out, and truthful way. :rose: Glad you are still alive to tell this story & to be there with your family, and able to share it with others so that they may learn.

My thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Sandy

Tim take care, I know you guys would do ever thing humanly possible , as you were in good company, and your lost buddy was a extremely avid sledder, and was well versed in mountain sports. but unfortunately ma nature sets the rules and gives us hints, go with your gut feeling and take care.

Thanks for posting. I think the perspective from which you write makes it VERY easy for any of us to put ourselves in your shoes. Well done. I know I have been in situations that I was uncomfortable with before, but I just went along with it. Never again. It sounds like everyone did a great job with the rescue attempt.

My prayers go out to the victim and his family.:rose:

My riding buddy and I have been mostly sticking to Boondocking this year as we are to spooked by these deep snow instabilities. We too just took Zacs Avy course in Valemount, very sobering. The rest of the year will be boondocking only... My thoughts go out to the family.

we were in revy this past weekend as well. stuck to boulder, but mostly boondocking and trees. lots of good snow to be had in there, plus the big hills didn't look so friendly. we were one of the first groups up on saturday, and even though there was LOTS of fresh on the hills, it just didn't look overly good, so we opped for the trees, and had a great time. makes me glad we did now. sorry for the loss and thoughts and prayers to the family!

You and your group tried so tremendously to give your buddy a chance after the avalanche came down on him....for that you should not question or regret. Remember him in all fond moments, may he rest in peace.

Thoughts & Prayers for his family and those of you who tried so hard.

You're efforts in the rescue are admired and deeply respected. What you say rings true about the things you must keep in mind about riding and life and it's fragility.
This horrific happening hits home to me since I was riding Keystone on Sunday the 17th and came accross a couple fallen avalanches in all their somberness. All day my mind was flooded with "what ifs" and "who, where, why?" It certainly awoke my awarness...
I also lost someone to a car crash while I was in Revy - a somber weekend for many.
My thoughts and prayers are with the victum and his family as well as everyone involved in this tragic act of God.

Last edited:
turns out the guy was one of my good friend's next door neighbor. I met him once. My friend is pretty shook up about this as he knew him well.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved as well as the family. Just makes me sick to hear of this stuff.
Rode Mon and Tues in Revy and couldnt get this out of my mind.
I read the 1st post and by the last line about leaving behind a wife and 4 year old daughters couldnt help but bring a tear to my eye.
God rest his soul,

HK
Cochrane, AB

:brokenheart: to the Murray family

:(

:beer;
To all those that have been lost while chasing their dreams.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep
I am the sparkle in the snow
I am the shredded leaves that blow
I am the sunlight on growing grain
I am the gentle summer rain
I am the quiet bird at night
Circling about; Taking flight
Do not stand at my grave and weep
for I am not there, I do not sleep.

RIP.

Thats terrible you had go through that. All these avys are scaring the hell out of me. I wish you and his family the best.. hang in there! you did what you could..

I would like to personally thank everyone who was with Doug on Keystone that fateful day. Most of you did not even know Doug which makes your efforts even more appreciated. Even though his life was not saved he died with a smile on his face doing exactly what he loved to do. Him and I had spoken several times about this and he always said if he was to go, he wanted to be on his sled " Ride hard and put her away wet" that is exactly how he rode and how he lived his life. Yes, he knew the dangers, he was very well prepared and practiced with his safety equipment on a regular basis. Sometimes you just can not beat mother nature. Sledding is a very demanding sport that almost requires you to be one with the machine. What's the point of putting your track to the snow unless you are going to ride it hard. I leave you now with Doug"s favorite saying " Go big or go home"

well being the champion thread killer, jetjet, and if he said "go big or go home' i guess here's at home. too bad for the family.

Premium Features

Back