• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Revelstoke Avalanche at Keystone

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
The strength it had to take to make this post, HUGE. Thank you and double thank you for doing so in a well written manner. May others learn something from it. Unfortunately some of us have been in your situation a time (or 2) before with out learning what you have learned from this.

One thing I can (or would like to) pass on to you. Don't self doubt. It sounds like you did all you could. Take that, be strong, heal. Don't start the "what ifs" and the doubt. It doesn't do anyone any good. Lean on each other that were there. Talk about it. Don't clam up......

Don't quit sledding. There is plenty of fun to be had in the pow... off the hills. :)

M

MN_Nole

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Big Lake, MN
Wow this post hammers some things home to me, my thoughts and prayers to everyone involved..

Please everyone look up the general thread on '12 more turns' and petetion big darrin to make it sticky to the top. It shows us the same thing that was learned here. We are never safe and we must always learn. Help us Help ourselves, we must not learn from a mistake, not that this was one. But our gut fealings mean something and should be acted upon, act upon them and watch this film. It will forever change you, lets all work together and get that thread posted to the top forever, and learn from it, its our lives we save.

Last edited:

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Very sad and all to common this year. Sounds like you and the others did all you could. Keep your head up and pass on what you have learned to all others, there's a good chance your testimony will save many others in the future.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
my condolences to the family

so very sad reading this tonight, i love keystone more than any other revy area and always think it looks safe other than the backside of the shovel out area, giving your directions, it sounds like the area

your post hear gives me the shivers because of all the bad areas we enter threw the course of a sleding year... let alone one of my favorites

my little girls give me the same lexture every time i go out, scary as hell

B

Brotha NOS

Dec 15, 2005
Balzac AB
my condolences to the family and friends of the victim.

I was in the same situation as the rescuer 9 years ago and one of the biggest decisions for me after that was whether or not I would ever ride again. I returned sledding but was very tentative for a while as the fear of it happening everytime I rode lived with me for a long time. 9 years have passed and this avalanche brought back some of those old memories, as I know some of the rescuers. I hope those of you that were there performing the rescue can learn from the experience and not give up the sport you all love so dearly.

Tim. Thanks for the detail of the incident. I know this hit all of you involved hard and in different ways. For not taking an avalanche course you are well versed in precautions and and procedures as most of us experienced riders are. I took an avalanche course again this year with Zac's. I believe that every rider should take one every 2 or 3 years. The training is designed for those of us who ride to help us recognize and hopefully avoid potential dangerous situations and proper rescue procedures. I hope that you can overcome your feelings right now and ride again.

My thoughts are with you all.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I hate reading these threads but it is also a valuable lesson for all of us. That was a horrible ordeal Tim and I feel for you and your riding group.

As you know Tim, I've had a few near death experiences while sledding and still do it every weekend. I certainly hope you do not give it up completely. All of us have to be careful and your points listed are a true education. It's just too bad that things like this have to happen to make us realize that it can happen to anyone of us.

My condolences to the family of the lost sledder :brokenheart:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
My riding group took a Zacs Tracks avy course this weekend in Valemount. On one of the nights at the classroom course I commented that conditions would be favorable for a deadly avy. The avy report was rated high all week and had just been lowered to considerable giving a false sense of security. I had read about the "Dec 5th" layer but until seeing it when we did our snow analysis in our pits we dug, you just have no idea of the magnitude. A riding group next day had one come down at Clemina at the bowl on the back side of hill climb. The snow was heavier and wetter than usual made climbing the bigger stuff alot more do-able.

After digging out dummies buried 2 feet down I can't imagine how you guys dug 6 feet and had to move a sled also. As bad as it feels you have to know that you did more than most would have. Take some comfort in that.

Last edited:
L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
Wow Tim,what sobering post,,,sad ,,makes you cherish the comments of your daughter before you left for riding even more,doesn't it.

Always keeping in the back of mind where the safety zone is.Great efforts none the less.

Take care,,my heart goes out to his family.:brokenheart:

I

IRONMAN

Nov 26, 2007
very sad story, i have had my boys saying the same sort of things about being carful many times. Really hits home!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Man is that ever sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. Tim the sledding world needs more people like yourself and others who were involved. To keep doing cpr as long as you all did says it all.I would love to sled with you or anybody else with these most excellent values.My hats off to you.

D
Dec 4, 2007
Sad news

Tim,

You did it all right!!!! 3 years ago this coming week I had to do the very same for a good friend.....we did CPR for 45 Min and that was the most exhausting thing I have ever done in my life. It wasn't an avalanche but a heart attack. Amazing that you kept it up for so long!!!!! We to lost our friend and it was tough....still is. The post helps to remind us all that it can end all to soon if we are not careful and use good judgement...tough to do when there is new snow and having fun. Sometimes these things are just meant to be. Sorry for the family's loss and yours. Keep your spirits up.

John

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
:(

Condolences to the family and the unfortunate friends involved.

Any word on who it was??

B
Feb 10, 2008
very sorry to hear about your buddy, best wishes to everyone involved.. how we ingnore the signs from false security, been there done that, we just got lucky.

More sad news. Unfortunately the worst part of the avy season is still ahead of us. Tim, I am glad you were not caught. It sounds like you did everything you could for the victim. He mostly died of trauma and there wasn't anything that would have helped him. Listen to your inner voice, avy prediction is still more art than science. He probably triggered the slab when he side hilled over a thinner section of the slab. In a terrain trap it doesn’t take much of a slide to be deadly. His only hope might have been an ABS

If sledders continue to break some common sense rules these tragedies will keep on happening.

If a hill is steep enough to slide then only one person at a time on it, wait your turn. If someone is climbing above you don’t cross under or wait where if it might slide you could be caught. Just these simple rules would have cut the fatalities in half so far this year. Take an avy course, Lori Zak does a great job teaching the fundamentals. If you ride in the mountains there really is no excuse not to have taken one. Buy a digital beacon and learn how to use it along with a decent probe and aluminum shovel. Even in the worst avalanche conditions there is usually a safe place to sled but without the training you just might not know where those are.

http://www.avalanche.ca/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3828

I
Jan 30, 2008
Thank you for putting your words down. My heart and prayers go out to all involved and there families. I cried when I saw my 2 year old daughter after reading this. Thinking about leaving her alone. I will forever think differently about the next big run from here on out.

Thank you again

V

Veedy

Jan 27, 2004
Revelstoke, BC
www.farwestfilms.com
Sad, sad news. An avy I was in 2 years ago now changed my life forever. I was lucky to be spared and see my daughters grow up. I also thought about giving up sledding, but I just used it as a learning experience and am 100% more cautious than I ever was. Learn to use the tools and refresh your knowledge every season.
Sorry you had to experience that, and it makes me sick to think that another family will have to live without a father and husband.

take care out there.

Premium Features