• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>>>> OFFICIAL SKI-DOO 2017 SUMMIT REVEAL ((Full Details & Photos))

I guess it is a fine machine, I have only so far looked at the pictures and basic highlights

BUT that is one ugly snowmobile!!

Ski-doo designers used to be color blind in the past, but know they have completely lost it in the styling,

Why in the world can´t none of the 3 major manufactures make a nice looking plastic panels:face-icon-small-dis

I thought the same thing when I first saw the XM, it took a year for it to grow on me and now I'm a big fan. I'm not sure what to think of the new styling myself, it would be nice to see one in person before one throws his money down on a new sled.

I'm Impressed. A company drops 25lbs, and adds 10 hp in the same year. I can't believe people are still complaining. I haven't owned a sled in a year, but it looks like I'm going to have to get back into it after seeing this. If only you could buy the Freeride colors in the Summit.

I too am a huge fan of the freeride colors i cannot believe they havent woke up to the idea of snowcheck color options, such and easy and free way to make people even more excited about the sled. a total no brainer !!! its like there literally relying on the color option alone to sell that sled because without the new 850 who is going to buy the freeride?

First things first, all of you that are pissed off about the current etec being 163.9hp.... when ski doo did in house dyno they produced 155hp. on an out of house dyno it produced 163.9 which is the number that everyone ran with. I am a huge fan of them changing things between the summit x and sp. From 2013 to 2016, the only difference between the 2 were shocks and hadle bars both of which most people change anyways. If having the x style boards is a huge deal to you, then open the wallet and pay for it. as for the tunnel being th cooler, if you popped a hole in your xm tunnle you would be replacing a tunnle and cooler(unless it was withing 2" from the edge of the tunnle).. regardless you would be spending the cash to fix. If that scares you, buy a Polaris and a case of glue. Great release Ski doo. When i seen the spy photos i thought i hated the sled but now seeing the full release, im in love.

That's pretty huge going with the bigger stroke and still being able to bb it all the way to 920cc

For the plasma coating.. Is there many shops that do this or is a skidoo exclusive.. Where do we send jugs after to have this done.. BJ is loving reading this today

This is a great looking chassis. I checked it out today at the show and have nothing but high hopes for the sled. The front of the running board looks like it could narrow up a bit but I bet it works great as is. Panels fit nice, sled is striking in person. Word is the 3.5 pitch track is more efficient and flat throws the sled. Combined with the mega quick motor it gets the sled moving and is a ball to ride.

It's a bummer about no 174 in the new chassis. I threw a fit and got no where. We won't be seeing one for 17.

Had a very interesting chat with the engine guys..the displacement was added through additional stroke. Cylinder has room for a big bore with an end result around 920cc for those interested in a bit more go..
It should be noted that the engineers are very confident in the life expectancy of this engine. They are seeing around twice the life on a dyno as an 800 etec. They also told me they don't expect us to have good luck with nikasil rather than their plasma coating due to how it retains oil. Interesting stuff.

Also, for all the "cast pistons only" guys out there, take note that this new 850 is a forged piston motor from the factory.. Surprise surprise.

Really neat stuff. Even with no 174 this should be a great next winter!!

pros and cons.

pros,

-The new motor looks like it will be nothing short of amazing excellent job doo you seem to have set the bar with this one hopefully by the end of the season that will be fact.

- light gauge
- running boards that tie into the tunnel for added strength and regidity
- new bulkhead and reduced parasitic drag very huge improvement
- ski leg looks stronger and redesigned
- new track lug pitch makes sense
- tapered tunnel tank seat and controls very nice

cons

- colours, seriously ? WTF
- same crap suspension, at least have an option on snowcheck to get the stiffer spring rate from factory not everyone weighs 140 lbs im tired of bottoming out on the accel bumps on the trail. i dont expect it to come with fox evols all around (alougth id like the option) but at least a decent spring rate pls
- why go through all the trouble of a complete redesign of the entire chassi and manufacture tooling and choose to stay with the huge setback of a 16" track? i know alot of people like it and prefer it in there minds but if this sled was 15" wide it would blow this 16" wide version out of the water in literally every single scenario.

First thing I thought of when I saw the pic of the nose on the orange/white Summit was this.

f86-sabre-1_tn.png

Looks like I got one of my wishes... smaller fuel tank. Details like this have a dramatic effect on ready-to-ride weight.

Now if only the "new(?)" fuel gauge actually works.... :p

It looks like Darkwing Duck's flamboyantly gay cousin with the cleft palette was the inspiration here.. WHEW my money is safe :face-icon-small-hap

All kidding aside, I'd be interested to take one for a ride, but around these parts I'd be surprised if the price tag was any less than $17k, not worth it imo..

I am liking what I see, lots of improvements, now if they would only make the Summit available in the blue and green!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Big Stroke!!

It's interesting that this new engine shares the same big stroke (80mm) and only 1mm smaller bore with the Polaris 900 (actually 866cc).

The Poo was a torque monster... but it had a lot of noticeable Gyroscopic effect compared to the 800 with a 70mm stroke... even though it had a lightweight "porkchop" crank. The "Gyro" effect of this larger stroke was one of the many 'Achilles-heel(s)" of the big Poo. I did however like the big "Grunt" of that monster stroke.

I always felt that Doo hit a great compromise with the 75.7mm stroke of the 800 E-Tec motors.

It will be interesting to see the running character of this big stroke new 850 in a hugely evolved chassis.

Not a significant one, but where is the 6lbs difference between an X and SP? Outside of the boards and colors, is there any other differences between the X and SP? I guess shocks, anything else? The 6lbs difference is intriguing, just super curious where it comes from?????

Last edited:
post angle

I hear ya...

The downhill pow-carvers love this feature though... and I've seen great riders SHRED with this...

I prefer the more vert posts for the off-camber stuff... but this all has to do with the sled as a "package"... I'll reserve any conclusions for an ACTUAL ride.

This sukka looks impressive!

Great info! Nice to get all the info right here!

Do the bars stay flat when turning like a Cat or a Polaris?

My biggest complaint about ski doos is the laydown steering. Can't stand it

Premium Features

Back