• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mt. Shasta Area

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Unloaded at normal spot. Did you guys ride south fork on Saturday?

Kale

C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon
Hey Kale.. Ol Jim says hi and he sure does miss sledding... I told him that I would let him ride my wifes 08 M-8 some time when you guys get some worth while snow down there.. We rode Medicine on Sat. and will not go back until it recieves at least 3 more feet. Darn near ruined a ski :( Also Pelican is ridable now after this last storm:)

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I miss Ol Jim. Let me know when you let him ride your wife's sled. Love to join you for that ride.

Looks like next set of storms are going to give us in N. Calif the snow we've needed.

Kale

Dec 13, 2007
Oregon
Rode Medicine today, right at 3 foot at the snow pole at the lake, lots of sticks, bushes and stumps still showing. hopefully these next storms will add a couple of feet, it definitely needs it.

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Let's hope they get it right:):eek::D

Special Weather Statement

CENTRAL SISKIYOU COUNTY-NORTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST SISKIYOU COUNTY- SOUTH CENTRAL SISKIYOU COUNTY-WESTERN SISKIYOU COUNTY- 303 PM PST TUE JAN 1 2008
...A MAJOR WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED LATER THIS WEEK...

A SERIES OF STORMS WILL BRING HEAVY SNOW TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA THURSDAY AND FRIDAY. THE FIRST STORM WILL MOVE IN THURSDAY AND WILL BRING IN 4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW ABOVE 3500 FEET OVER WESTERN AND CENTRAL SISKIYOU COUNTIES. SNOW SHOWERS THURSDAY NIGHT WILL BRING IN ANOTHER 5 TO 10 INCHES ABOVE 3000 FEET...BUT COVERAGE WILL BE SPOTTIER.

A SECOND STORM WILL MOVE IN FRIDAY... AND THIS WILL BRING THE REALLY HEAVY SNOW TO WESTERN AND CENTRAL SISKIYOU COUNTY. ONE TO TWO FEET OF SNOW IS EXPECTED ABOVE 3500 FEET...WITH ANOTHER FOOT POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT. WITH STRONG SOUTHERLY WINDS AT TIMES VERY POOR VISIBILITIES AND DRIFTING SNOW IS VERY POSSIBLE.

THIS STORM WILL CAUSE MAJOR DISRUPTIONS FOR TRAVELERS AS THE HIGHER ELEVATION PORTIONS OF I-5... US97...AND CA89 WILL ALL RECEIVE A LOT OF SNOW AND MAY BE CLOSED AT TIMES.

TRAVELERS ARE URGED TO MODIFY TRAVEL PLANS TO AVOID THE STORM. IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE...BRING PLENTY OF EXTRA FOOD...WATER...BLANKETS...AND COLD WEATHER CLOTHING.

More detailed local map tracking!
Mark your exact location on weather.com radar maps - click here

Don't miss severe weather alerts while away from your computer!

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
What was supposed to be rain/snow mix today and total accumulations of
1-2" has turned out to be all snow, and lots of it.:) We've gotten 4" in town in the last 4 hrs and still snowing hard.:D

Keep it coming!

Kale

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
On a serious note:

This big storm is making everbody pretty excited... A good base and the good stuff on top of it....

A LOT OF SNOW IS COMING!!

AVALANCHE RISKS WILL BE CONSIDERABLE!

Make sure you wear your beacon and If you don't own one, BUY IT!

How bad would you feel if you couldn't find your friend/family that got buried... and died because you couldn't find him/her??

Rule for the beacon: Don't have it in your pack...

PUT IT ON, TURN IT ON..... TAKE IT OFF, TURN IT OFF.

Do a check of everyone in your group of their beacon before leaving the parking lot.

If someone in the group does not own a beacon, pressure them into buying one... your life could be on the line if he/she does not have a beacon.

Read up on the use of your beacon, buy brand new batteries for it... get good ones, your life may depend on it .

Check out this primer on beacon use:
http://www.backcountryaccess.com/english/education/documents/aviawarenessguide.pdf

If you have a really old beacon, more than 5 or 6 yrs.... consider getting a new one.

Keep your shovel & probe in your pack, not on your sled.

Read up on beacon useage... there is a lot of info out there.

Just because you own a beacon, dont assume you can use it.... do some practice drills with friends.

Also, on the trail... be aware of what is above you... even a small slide can bury you real deep on a trail at the bottom of a hill.

Get the "tracker 101" use DVD, a great idea.

Free beacon clinics on the 1st and 15th of each month at Squaw...

Also see.
http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/

AVALANCHES KILL PEOPLE.... MORE SNOWMOBILERS THAN ANY OTHER SINGLE GROUP!!

STAY SAFE OUT THERE FOLKS!

Last edited:

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I would think Medicine Lake got hit hard. I was watching the weather channel and a lady called from Tenant, Ca(Medicine Lake area) and said she had 3' of new at her house. Good luck

Kale

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
We got about 6" of new in town on Tuesday. Not sure what they got up high. I'll find out this weekend.:D

Kale

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great ride today in the northern portion of the eddys. We need a storm that doesn't have the high winds, the ridges are still very rocky. Access this spring will be very limited if we don't get some more storms. We had a group of 14 guys and one lady. Hit the Caldwell Lakes and dropped into Bull Lake. From Bull we hit Deadfall and dropped into North Fork. Climbed out of North Fork into Bear Creek and then headed back to the trucks. Lots of pics, even 2 action shots:

Kale

Unloading
000_0640.jpg

Cool photo of Whaleback and valley fog
000_0641.jpg

Bull Lake
000_0643.jpg

000_0644.jpg

000_0645.jpg

000_0642.jpg

Looking back at Mt. Shasta and Deadfall Chute from Bull
000_0647.jpg

Deadfall Bowl
000_0650.jpg

000_0649.jpg

Trouble in Deadfall
000_0651.jpg

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rode Saturday in the southern end of the eddys. Snow was awesome and rode with a great group. Found fresh, untracked snow on the north facing bowls in middle fork and got into some areas around Picayune Lake that had powder that hadn't had a chance to set up.:D

Need another storm because we've got a good base going.

Kale

Mt. Shasta from middle fork
000_0653.jpg

Climbing area in middle fork
000_0654.jpg

Last edited:

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
We got hit hard today with this storm. We got around a foot in town 3500'.

We need some sun now so we can get out and play in it.

We should be good for awhile.:D

A few pics:

View from my porch
000_0657_0001.jpg

Backyard
000_0658_0001.jpg

View from street
000_0656.jpg

Neighbor's house. They leave for the winter. Might be awhile before they can get in.:)
000_0655.jpg

Premium Features