• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P
Nov 26, 2007
I'd like to see the aftermarket take a bigger role in this. After reading this thread there is obviously a growing market for quiet as stock performance exhuast systems, and the demand is only going to grow as more noise restrictions are imposed. It seems SLP saw the writing on the wall and i think the others will need to follow suit.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Hey i was wondering what the loudest exhaust pipe and the can you can put on a 05 900 rmk and i still want to gain power and loose wait. thanks

Why?? Do you want the tree huggers to here you from their offices??
Too loud is obnoxious and will piss off fellow riders!!

The snorkel to your helmet is perfect!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
snorkel to your helmet...

Yup, that would do it!:eek:

Why is it you are looking purposely for loud? There are plenty of choices out there to be had that lower weight and still are respectfully quiet.

Where do you plan to be riding?

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
First of all, it is hard to think you are serious with your request. Loud sleds equals NO RIDING AREAS. So if you are really a spy for the land closure types, we can not give the answer. But if you want loud, try open expansion chambers, like we raced with in the 70's. Your sled will be so loud, your ex-family and ex-riding friends will hate you and the land closure types will make an example of how disrespectful of the world we snowmobilers are. Keep it quiet for the rest of us please.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
ha, this made my day. Honestly, if you want a can that is loud but I think still makes the decibal test, CPI cans. They are zippy sounding. I'll be honest, I was there too, where I wanted a really loud can so everybody would look at me, then I grew up and realized that I'd rather have something stealthlike so people don't look at me, because as much as I'd like to think so, I'm not a chris burandt, and I'd rather have everybody looking at someone else as my sled is rolling down a hill or getting stuffed into a tree. So go for it, get a really loud can, you'll grow out of it after a season of deafness and everybody hating on you for being loud. BTW, i've got a CPI can I'd sell ya!:eek:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I'd like to see the aftermarket take a bigger role in this. After reading this thread there is obviously a growing market for quiet as stock performance exhuast systems, and the demand is only going to grow as more noise restrictions are imposed. It seems SLP saw the writing on the wall and i think the others will need to follow suit.

I think you are right and I know some of the aftermarket companies are already working in this direction. This has been an ongoing issue with off road enthusiasts of all kinds. The trouble isn't just from snowmobiles. Add loud ATV's and dirtbikes into the mix as has been stated earlier. If people don't want to hear one they don't want any of them. I don't think there is even a point to argue! Our lands are being closed, limited, and infected with increased regulations. To answer, there really isn't a place for loud exhaust. The AMA is under increased pressure from government and state to quite the bikes. Trails are now enforced with strict DB limits for sleds and bikes. These weren't here 10 yrs ago.
This becomes an issue of respect for the people around you. Often times in life we need to compromise and learn to share. Are we willing to? Are they? We all stereotype. It has gotten me into trouble more than once, but I try to learn. It does however become an understanding. What one person does good or bad has a profound effect on people. How many times has a "first impression" caused you to pass judgment on a group of people? "You there with the loud exhaust", you could be that first impression.
We constantly talk as if this is a war. Ammunition? weapons? these are fellow Americans we are talking about and we can't can't come to an agreement? Everyone is acting irresponsible and I mean on both sides! Is a sled any less fun to ride if it's quiet? I think the aftermarket companies have their work cut out. Quite and light, possibly re packable. A sled can sound modified within a reasonable DB range too.
Would it be so hard to invite an environmentalist group out to experience what we love about our sport. Would it then be so hard to take out the key and strap on a set of skis to see what they love. I can understand and respect both sides. What is absolutely killing me is why a large portion of the American population can't and won't. In 1000 yrs what has changed? With all our years and technology, we are still nothing more than primates with sticks and rocks fighting over land.
Dang it I got off topic again! :confused:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Anybody good with Photoshop?

We should come up with a slogal and a sticker we can put on our sleds ...

Sort of like "Loud Pipes Save Lives" sticker all the harley posers have, except make it actually useful ...

Like ... "Quiet pipes save riding areas" or something ...

It's an idea .... There would be a lot of fist fights about it but maybe that's what it'll take for people to start getting the picture here.

Reactions: 94fordguy
F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Good points from both sides,but let me make this obviously clear,it isn't about saving the planet from load snowmobiles,IT'S ALL ABOUT POWER AND CONTROL!! The machines could be whisper quiet and not leave any tracks in the snow and we would still be under attack. Me and the guys I ride with are of a hearty,robust breed that enjoy snowmobiling to its maximum extent,and I am positive that when we are seen enjoying our winter sport to its fullest capacity by the "OTHERS" they gasp in horror and scream in their minds-Oh my gosh these people are out of CONTROL we need to exercise our political POWER and put an end to this GOD given freedom.All of our sleds are piped or have a lightweight silencer the two biggest reasons for this is to reduce weight and reduce under hood temps. if a performance gain is recognized from this its merely a bonus.If we pull up to rest and someone is missing it is nice to be able to locate that person from the sound of his sled-safety is key here.Enjoy what you can while you can because the noose of CONTROL is tightening every day.

Reactions: idahoscott
A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
does anyone actually have some TWA numbers on dB's i would really like to see this i bet it would be low. I think to the naked ear is 85dB over 8 hours i bet adjusted to TWA would not be close even with a loud can.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There is one gentleman in my community that shoots skeet...actually he is the president of the skeet/trap/sporting-clays club... An active member of the NRA worked on Bush’s campaign and has 3 boats, 2 pickups, hot rods, a Harley etc... He also likes to go "skinny skiing" with his wife & 3 kids. He HATES snowmobilers because of the rude treatment that he has run into from SOME snowmbilers on a regular basis. He is a good guy, is an ANTI sierra club activist.... but if a proposal that he could vote on for the closure of access to trails came up... he would most likely vote for the closure. THESE are the type of people that will decide our fate as sledders ... and not only some extremist.

He admits that it is just some "bad apples" and not all snowmobilers that he felt were rude, but it took a lot of convincing on my part to change his mind.

Last edited:

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
decibel levels

I'll repeat my request (back in post #120) about any info out there about decibel level numbers. I agree with PJ06M7 and Mountainhorse that the aftermarket manufacturers should step up and post the decibel numbers for their pipes. They ALL are quick to advertise the weight-saving numbers of their pipes. You know that they know how loud/quiet their pipes are. It would be usefull info for us consumers when selecting an aftermarket pipe. In the spirit of competition, let the market decide which products "survive".
In the riding areas already enforcing sound levels, what decible level is considered illegal?

Reactions: Anti-Hero

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I was talking with Skinz today and their Ultra Q meets the 88 decibel limit on most applications. I don't know the exact distance it is measured at(20ft maybe :confused: ), but I believe he said it is done the same as the factory tests at 4000rpm.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
maybe I could have gave them all hugs and sat and made beads with them, is that how you do it sd?

and yes I do believe you do watch little house.

No. How I do it is
1) Being involved with my local and state orgs and helping noobs get involved in the sport. I even loan out my spare sled and gear and take the curious out riding. I volunteer for work parties and do trail maintenance and work our booth at events.
2) I write calm, adult, point specific letters to my state legislature, governor and congressional delegation expressing my concerns. (I also have my wife proof-read them so I don't come off like an idiot)
3) When I'm out riding I exercise caution and courtesy on common use trails. In AK we don't encounter skiers too much but we do share trails with dog mushers quite a bit. When I encounter a sled team I pull over, hit the kill switch and wait for the dogs to pass. 95% of the time I get thanked.
4) If I do encounter skiers/snowshoers I extend them the same courtesy I do mushers. I haven't been flipped off or spit at or anything (yet).

I realize that anyone on skis is likely to be "the enemy" so I'm careful not to give my enemy any ammo to use against me. If I'm ever assaulted by a non-motorized activist type I hope I will remain composed enough to be smart about it--get pictures, witness statements--evidence, and then lawyer-up. If they get really physical well then I guess we'll see who kicks whose a$$. (but realistically that's not likely to happen)

Your attitude of "They hate us no matter what, so I'm free to act like an azz clown" is helping to kill our sport one vote at a time.

All I'm asking is that you try and be a good ambassador of the sport...on behalf of everyone who likes to ride sleds.

Premium Features