• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i was sitting in a meadow last winter while the wife was ridng around her new sled when 2 elderly xc skiers stopped.they stood there and watched the wife carve circles and said.."that looks like fun and that snowmobile sure is quiet".

Reactions: Goinboardin
M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
Wrong attitude, Anti-Hero. If both sides continue thinking that ALL of the "opposition" are rude/stupid/jerks/whatever, nothing will get better.

Not all of the BC/XC skiers, snowshoers, etc hate us.

Not all snowmobilers are inconsiderate douchenozzles.

Among (lots of) other things, continue to wave, say hi, be polite. Yeah, some WILL be rude in return, but it can't hurt to try to change "their" perception of us as people.

It CAN hurt to tick off some retired hippie snowshoer who has lots of time and money to work against OHVs. That person may well work against OHVs anyway, but it'd be good if we could change their perception of us as a _group_.

Dunno. I say be nice, be polite, try to make a good impression. No, it might not feel like it is working, but who knows who you're ticking off. Not worth it.

.02c

Iain

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
hippie with lots of money, jerry garcia is dead! you can be as nice as you want they will hate sleds no matter what. Maybe its time for the sled community to stand up and tell them to go F-off. Or wait lets be PC about this whole thing and they will nickel and dime the forest like they have been doing for years until there is nothing left and so where did this get us? maybe we could fight the hippies with hugs and rainbows?

Reactions: relentless rider

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
hippie with lots of money, jerry garcia is dead! you can be as nice as you want they will hate sleds no matter what. Maybe its time for the sled community to stand up and tell them to go F-off. Or wait lets be PC about this whole thing and they will nickel and dime the forest like they have been doing for years until there is nothing left and so where did this get us? maybe we could fight the hippies with hugs and rainbows?

I really think that your train of thought is stupid. There are always going to be those people that hate us, always! But your behavior, to try to piss off anybody you encounter is helping the other side. Put aside your hate and think about that for a minute.

M
Dec 15, 2007
Moyie B.C.

Man am I glad we don't all have your attitude! :D

Reactions: mannix
A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
I really think that your train of thought is stupid. There are always going to be those people that hate us, always! But your behavior, to try to piss off anybody you encounter is helping the other side. Put aside your hate and think about that for a minute.

My train of thought is what the greenies use and news flash the greenies are kicking the **** out of us! tell when we have last won new land to ride on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: relentless rider
M

mannix

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2008
My train of thought is what the greenies use and news flash the greenies are kicking the $hit out of us! tell when we have last won new land to ride on?

So we should continue approaching it the same way?

Super.

To oversimplify, this whole thing reminds me of a young brother and sister fighting over the TV - Dukes of Hazzard vs Little House on the Prairie. The TV is common ground, neither one is WRONG.

Sister (she was smarter) calmly explained to the parents that it really was her turn to watch LHotP, because her room was clean, she's getting good grades, and she'd emptied the dishwasher without being asked.

Brother got screwed last week on DoH, DAMMIT! I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!!!! I WAS SUPPOSED TO WATCH IT LAST WEEK BUT I COULD NOT BECAUSE *SHE* DID.......

The parents, who don't REALLY care who gets to watch what, listen to each side and makes the final decision.

Guess what? Little House got watched. "I know my rights" and "screw you, hippie" just does not work. If I'd been smart enough to pitch my case calmly and accurately, noting things like contributions I'd made to society at large (something the PARENTS _do_ care about) rather than just being a whiny fit throwing loser, I bet I'd have gotten the Dukes.

Iain

Reactions: snowmoherb

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK

You're the reason we're losing riding areas. You're the reason the greenies are as determined as they are. Sure, most greenies are opposed to anything with a motor no matter what, but some are battling to deny us access specifically because of beligerent twits like you.

Grow up

Last edited by a moderator:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
greenies

what do they do that we can try to shut down? maby they would feel the same way if the organic crap they use was cancelled out for being to detrimental to our environment. or the big city they live in destroying the atmosphere and neds to be domed. bubble people, then they would neve be able to come to the mountain

Reactions: Anti-Hero
A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
If I was the sole reason for the green movement, I would be honored however the sole idea of green movement is actually sustainability, it is kinda a buzz word nowadays, or maybe animal rights. There is no laws that sleds are breaking, whether loud or pollution based, If you would peel the blinders from your eyes your would see something, think about 10 years back when the skiers complained about the “blue haze” at the gates of Yellowstone, and the forest circus wearing n-95’s, ok so to the rest of the world an n-95 is a gas mask, who made that little lie? The green media, praying on people that have never once set foot in a forest, but they are great at watching tv. Time travel back to present day, the emissions are fixed and we are still losing land, and please explain why quiet sleds are any different the emissions? Also enlighten me how treehugger hugging works to protect the forest? The last time I when to a greenie rally to protest them, they did not want to share the trails, they wanted sleds out! But I was told that I was using scare tactics to persuade them, come on any guesses? exterior steel capped boots, more BS. maybe I could have gave them all hugs and sat and made beads with them, is that how you do it sd?

and yes I do believe you do watch little house.

Last edited:

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
half

maby thats half of it right there, they will come up to get away from everything to do and hear nothing. lame. where we will go up and be in many different place doing many different things they are just jealous

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
come on

we all have to unify and dedicate our lives to make theirs crappy like they are attempting to do us. no more fun from here on out.
probably at minimum this would have to be researched to find they greenie hot spot to overrun it for at least every weekend for a month to have any noticable impact. oh it would be great

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
we could shoot trap that would give em some noise to Bit(h about! Make it like a big swap meet! hand out flyers about how there ski's are produced and how that effects the environment! Like head ski in Gunbarrel with the TCE spill that is still being cleaned up.

P
Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
We have already lost thousands of miles of snowmobile trails out here in the Midwest and East due to sled noise. Here in WI, you can get a ticket if you're caught with a modified or aftermarket exhaust. That's why the Bikeman pipe mods are so popular out here.

I have a SLP setup on my RMK and it's about as loud as anything I'd want to ride. I've had stock sleds that were much louder in the past.

Quiet is the only way to run. I'm a sledder and I get pissed off when I can hear a whine two valleys away or if a noisy short-track pulls up to a gas station and makes everyone else under the canopy practically go deaf from the sound rattling around...

Reactions: backcountryislife
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
"natural beauty, freedom, and opportunities for quiet recreation.”

Check out the latest SAWS Alert for Oregon here: http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174166

OregonWild is seeking "quiet" recreation for the latest 450,000 acres they are proposing to designate as Wilderness.

“Crater Lake, Mount Thielsen, Mount Bailey, and the headwaters to the Rogue and Umpqua Rivers surround the park are the crown jewels of the Southern Cascades. We owe it to our children and grandchildren to protect the wildlands around these areas forever as a haven for Oregonians who seek natural beauty, freedom, and opportunities for quiet recreation.”

-Eric Fernandez, Wilderness Coordinator with OregonWild

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I am not a fan of loud sleds, I don't like it and I know non-sledders don't.
I do think they hurt our sport and our cause.

That being said.
Sleds could be wisper quit and spit rose peddles and the environazis will continue to attack.
We tried compromise and all that means is we give up an they come back for more.

Loud sleds is just one piece of the puzzle. Attacking the liberals directly is another.
But that is an arguement for another thread.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Trying to keep this thread on track like Ollie pointed out.

Please take the time to read this entire thread, if you haven't, before contributing to the thread.

The extreme environmentalists (aka "environazis", "greenies" etc) are not the ones that will close our access...

As pointed out before... it is not these extreme groups that are making the decision... it is the public at large.... and not just one party. Those people out there that do not give a hoot one way or the other. Many card carrying conservatives, NRA members, workers, large carbon footprint people with ski boats and 2 Suburbans in the driveway and a bass boat can be convinced that "Snowmobiles are just not necessary"

I'm a sledder... that is why I take time to post on the forums. I drive a mod sled, I interact with the public out there... I see skiers, snowboarders, families that snow shoe, ice fish, etc that I share the backcountry with and the trails that get there.

Why PURPOSELY try to anger any group? Just because some people, who will never change their minds about your power sport, don't want you around? What about the McCain/Palin voter that takes his family out for a family snowshoe that does not have a feeling one way or the other about you & your sled....and you lean it over and brap it hard just to get a rise out them and scare the crap out of junior and Sally-Sue?.... they are going to probably flip you off too.

I'm a sledder, have ridden up the trails to get to the backcountry, when someone with a super loud twin or triple stinger or side exit turbo nitro rips buy at an obnoxious level.... and scares the heck out of everyone riding and just annoys everyone around them.

With the technology out there, if you have to wear earplugs because your OWN sled is that loud, your sled is TOO loud even for you.

Read my first post again with the analogies about superbowl and fishing etc.... put that into context with your response rather than your hatred and contempt for one small group that is painting everyone on snowshoes or cross-country skis as your enemy....when you allow that to happen... everyone becomes your enemy.

Last edited:
Ok, so this technology interrests me. It's called "ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION".

http://www.eetimes.com/story/industry/systems_and_software_news/OEG20001005S0030

I was researching to see if it would be feesable to purchase it and try it on the sled.

Unfortunately the only product that I can find on the market is a book which describes active noise cancellation.

I know that siemens, and lotus are working on/incorporating this into vehicles. They monitor the sound waves and produce a soundwave that is the inverse frequency and amplitude of the original. If you could put this on a can and effectively cancel the noise, it would be worth a couple of hundees for me, but if we're talkin a thou, to ten thou then we'll just have to Keep makin noise.

This is interesting, worth starting a dedicated thread for it.

Premium Features