• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Z

Zachcreek

Oct 18, 2008
Buena Vista Colorado
Ok.... I see your point..... but.. I'll throw a spin on things...

Why is it ok for Harley riders to have bikes that are so darn loud they can be heard from MILES away, when 1/2 way across my town on the hwy?

Why are they allowed to be loud?

Most high performance machines are loud for a reason...... less restriction.

However, if you do some research.... vehicles with a shorter / no "muffler" exhaust off of a TURBO are actually fairly quiet, in comparison to their supercharged or N/A counterparts.

110dBa shouldn't be considered "rediculous". I know that a concert hall is a LOT louder than that. Shoot, a BAR is louder than that.

Restrictions are or have also been put in place in many towns. Colorado Springs is one of them. People are tired of the noise no matter what it is. Crack your throttle in the Springs and you will get a ticket.

For some, I think that the loud exhaust is a "Look at me" factor. Loud exhaust is not a performance enhancing item.

People that have loud sleds just for the sake to make noise think they are Badazz's , I think they are Dumbazz's

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Last edited:
M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
First of all, I agree that there is no need to have obnoxiously loud sleds, but to each his own. My sled is freakin loud, and I don't like the headache it gives me if I don't wear ear plugs. I'll be addressing that for my own reasons.

Now lets get down to business. The reality of the subject of closures is that these people who want to close your land find entertainment in going to meetings, fundraisers, and press releases. It's just their way of getting a hard-on. It has nothing to do with anything other than their personal interrests. The Loud exhaust is just another excuse. If we all had quiet sleds, they'd find something else to use as an excuse as to why we don't have any rights to sled.

Here's an example that has always bothered me. I used to ride dirtbikes every day. I wasn't a track rider, I rode the foothills and mountains. Most of the area was shut off, and still is to motorized vehicles. their excuse is that it destroys the watershed.

Now in the wasatch mountain range, the watershed is about 1'. it goes directly into the dirt, except for the rare occasion of a super heavy microburst. It's not like in louisiana or mississippi where water travels along a flat area for extended distances. Now down there a track can make a huge difference in the way the water sheds.

Now here's the kicker. I've been watching these foothills and mountains for my whole life. I'm 44 this year, and I've not seen any notable difference in the trails that exist. The areas that have been washed out, have been that way my whole life. The rest of the trails are the same that they have been for 4 decades.

So to top it off; they have put a quarry in one area that was deemed unridable b/c watershed. You can only imagine the massacering of the mountain that this has done. In most of the foothills they have either constructed neighborhoods, or have plans to construct neighborhoods.

Well It's a good thing we didn't ride our dirtbikes there isn't it?

I agree with your concerns completely, but the only way to fight these Liberal activists is with Organized, and well funded conservative activism.

Last edited:
I

IowaSnowCat

Dec 1, 2007
Northwest Iowa
Facts & Myths about Snowmobiling booklet......
snowmobilers.org

FACT: Sound levels for snowmobiles have reduced 94% from early models since pre-1969 snowmobiles.

SOUND LEVELS: diesel truck 100 decibels, snow blower 110 decibels, Lawn mower 85 decibels, vaccum cleaner 80 decibels, post-1975 snowmobile full throttle at 50 feet allowed by law 78 decibels, alarm clock 70 decibels.

THE KEY: "78 decibels at 50 feet under full throttle"

I highly suggest riders read this booklet, very informative about the truths and myths about snowmobiling and our enviroment.

Oh and by the way, I have a can on my sled - Cheap and easy fix for weight loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowmoherb
P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
First of all, I agree that there is no need to have obnoxiously loud sleds, but to each his own. My sled is freakin loud, and I don't like the headache it gives me if I don't wear ear plugs. I'll be addressing that for my own reasons.

Now lets get down to business. The reality of the subject of closures is that these people who want to close your land find entertainment in going to meetings, fundraisers, and press releases. It's just their way of getting a hard-on. It has nothing to do with anything other than their personal interrests. The Loud exhaust is just another excuse. If we all had quiet sleds, they'd find something else to use as an excuse as to why we don't have any rights to sled.

Here's an example that has always bothered me. I used to ride dirtbikes every day. I wasn't a track rider, I rode the foothills and mountains. Most of the area was shut off, and still is to motorized vehicles. their excuse is that it destroys the watershed.

Now in the wasatch mountain range, the watershed is about 1'. it goes directly into the dirt, except for the rare occasion of a super heavy microburst. It's not like in louisiana or mississippi where water travels along a flat area for extended distances. Now down there a track can make a huge difference in the way the water sheds.

Now here's the kicker. I've been watching these foothills and mountains for my whole life. I'm 44 this year, and I've not seen any notable difference in the trails that exist. The areas that have been washed out, have been that way my whole life. The rest of the trails are the same that they have been for 4 decades.

So to top it off; they have put a quarry in one area that was deemed unridable b/c watershed. You can only imagine the massacering of the mountain that this has done. In most of the foothills they have either constructed neighborhoods, or have plans to construct neighborhoods.

Well It's a good thing we didn't ride our dirtbikes there isn't it?

I agree with your concerns completely, but the only way to fight these Liberal activists is with Organized, and well funded conservative activism.

NO kidding I have seen the same thing with Logan canyon been going there my whole life and I haven’t seen any changes because of sleds, or bikes, or ATV’s The worst thing that I have seen is construction of new cabins and homes. And roads to get there!!! I agree with your coments..

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Since I've seen some analogies used here, I'll add another one.

Loud generators in campgrounds. I don't know about all National Parks, but I know Glacier went to certain times during the day that any generator could be run because of the noise complaints (2 hours designated time in the morning, afternoon, evening). I'm hearing that the Forest Service here might do the same with Forest Service campgrounds. Not just the 10pm to 6am quiet rule, but following with what GNP did.

This was done by GNP, and is under consideration by the FS, because of others not wanting to listen to the noisy ones. Yeah the Honda's and Yamaha's are quiet, but because of the others and complaints, new regulations were put into place. It wasn't just tent campers complaining (and MANY tent campers are also motorized users), but others with the hard sided campers. People sitting in their camper ALL day running their AC while doing whatever, and not paying attention that others didn't want to listen to the noise they were putting out (and usually their noisy generator was placed to the edge of their campsite, away from their camper, and closer to someone else). It was of PUBLIC concern, so it was addressed.

This is the same sort of thing this thread is about. It's not just the enviro-zealots. Yes, they use the noise issue to their benefit. That noise issue can sway the general public who really didn't think about it before. Noise *pollution* is something everyone can understand. It's also something WE can do something about ourselves. In choosing not to, that leaves it wide open for the zealots to point to and use as examples for furthering their own agenda.

S
Dec 13, 2008
Last time I checked, we live in a free country. People can and should have the right to ride and/or drive whatever machine they want as loud as they want. It makes no sense to me that people say that while they are fishing and a loud quad or a bike comes down the trail, that someone should do something to prevent this. You know how to prevent this? Find a stream or a lake thats further from the areas where you know people are riding. These trails are there to be ridden. Not to be ridden only by quiet machines or machines with restrictions on them. Its nonsense. Use your freedom of movement and hike downstream. If your home is in an area where there is a lot of snowmobiling or 4-wheeling, then move if you don't like the sound they make. Just my opinion. I feel the government is infringing upon our rights as free persons more and more everyday. And if not for the people complaining about it, those freedoms would still be in place.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Last time I checked, we live in a free country. People can and should have the right to ride and/or drive whatever machine they want as loud as they want. It makes no sense to me that people say that while they are fishing and a loud quad or a bike comes down the trail, that someone should do something to prevent this. You know how to prevent this? Find a stream or a lake thats further from the areas where you know people are riding. These trails are there to be ridden. Not to be ridden only by quiet machines or machines with restrictions on them. Its nonsense. Use your freedom of movement and hike downstream. If your home is in an area where there is a lot of snowmobiling or 4-wheeling, then move if you don't like the sound they make. Just my opinion. I feel the government is infringing upon our rights as free persons more and more everyday. And if not for the people complaining about it, those freedoms would still be in place.

Honestly this is ridiculous, it's simply called common courtesy. If there is no reason to be a loud obnoxious azz, why would you? Yes it is a free country, but that doesn't give you the right to literally tread on the rights of others.

Last edited:
D
Last time I checked, we live in a free country. People can and should have the right to ride and/or drive whatever machine they want as loud as they want. It makes no sense to me that people say that while they are fishing and a loud quad or a bike comes down the trail, that someone should do something to prevent this. You know how to prevent this? Find a stream or a lake thats further from the areas where you know people are riding.

Free country? Check again. Seatbelt, speeding, dui, killing your neighbor, etc.,etc, laws and more laws. The problem is NOT the enviros but the normal people, the fishermen in your story. They go to ten different lakes and have to listen to thoes loud motorcycles at every lake they go to. They complain to the people in power of that area. The people in power have been getting pounded by the enviros and NOW the fishermen, hunters, cabin owners, x skiers, dog sledders, hikers, bikers, etc., etc. are fed up. What happens ? The close the area to ALL MOTORIZED recreation.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
How about your hearing?

Has anyone touched on this? I think there was an earplug thread a while ago pertaining to this but I will get my two cents in now. Just recently I have been diagnosed with a high frequency hearing loss in both my ears. One symptom of this is something called Tinnitus. Another is called Hyperacusis. I have both. The symptoms can vary from person to person, but I seem to have hit the unlucky lottery and it sounds like someone is blowing a whistle in my ear almost 24 hrs a day. I went almost 4 days without sleep, and it nearly drove me insane. I am still struggling with it day to day and it has forced me to go on leave from my job while I try to find a way to deal with this. I should also mention that I had a precision performance silencer on my sled and it was pretty loud and "sounded cool". No doubt that has contributed to my hearing loss. So, do I think there is a place for loud pipes? Hell No. If you could eliminate just the remote chance of hurting your own hearing or someone elses hearing, do it. It can take only one loud exposure to change your life forever.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Good point, if your too selfish not to run "quieter" exhaust then do it for your hearing. It's really amazing how loud something DOESN'T have to be to hurt your hearing.
I also think the generator policing is a great example why loud is ruining things for everyone. People get annoyed easily so if we can annoy less we might keep our areas just a little longer.
This discussion is not about pleasing the enviros so they stop kicking us out, screw the enviros. This is about pleasing the general public so like said before the fisherman, cabin owner etc won't be complaining about us and therefore it will JUST be the enviros complaining which are complaining all the time so again screw um.

Reactions: CatWoman

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
The sole purpose of having laws is to protect people from other people (well, except for some laws which attempt to protect some people from themselves). If there were only one person on an island, would they need laws?

Loud pipes draw negative attention to sledding, dirt biking, atving, street bikes, etc.

There is some validity to the notion that if someone wants to complain they will find something to complain about, but the less fuel they have for their fire the smaller the fire will be.

I appreciate what loud pipes can do (weight savings, power gains, attention) but I wish all noise levels would be voluntarily held to within 5% of the OEM standards.

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
Loud exhaust is not the enemy, this is! or the dems up in washington, or the dreadlock dog$hit hair people, the subaru drivers, and the people in this world that have such a crappy life that they bit(h about others having fun.

enemy.jpg

Reactions: relentless rider
R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
yep

Loud exhaust is not the enemy, this is! or the dems up in washington, or the dreadlock dog$hit hair people, the subaru drivers, and the people in this world that have such a crappy life that they bit(h about others having fun.

Your 100% right!! those tree huggers are y the US is falling apart! that's what i thank:D I run a t apex with 3 inch dump out the side,get the f*** out the way.Skiers make good traction.

Reactions: Anti-Hero
M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I have a stupid question.
A couple years ago I was watching this show on the learning channel.
It was about this very subject.
Over in brittan they had a very large and well funded group that is BIG into street rods. They demanded their right to have earth shakingly loud car exhausts so their cars could breath better.
The locals all demanded the cars be banned from the roads because they were obnoxious.

The car guys all got together and came up with a solution that cured both problems.
They could literally run 3" straight pipe with no exhaust can and the car ran whisper quite.

How?

counter harmonics.
They designed a system that introduced a counter harmonic into the pipe that would act in such a way as to counter the exhause harmonic and cancel em out. The car was litterally whisper quite. The whole thing was the size of a pack of cigarettes.
I did a little searching to see if I could find it and I couldn't.
I will try again from work (have a MUCH faster connection).

The down side to the above was the kiddies got ahold of em and started putting adjusters on the controls that would change the tone of the exhaust and they could make their little rice burners sound like a diesel if they wanted.

:face-icon-small-dis
icon3.gif
Hmmmmmmm...

So you're sayin' that I can make my Powerstroke louder.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO

And there you have it.. $$$$$$ wins wars.. Plain and simple...and completely illogical.

I really doubt we'll ever find "peace" from...or even with these people.

"If you can't beat em, join em...and destroy them from the inside?" or something like that...right?
This is war, and if should be fought as such..as I'm sure their doing the same to us..

well...i had many more paragraphs of ranting written...but... what good will it do here.
these issues always just fire me up..and it brings out very little positive motivation..
sharing words with comrades won't resolve the issue..

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Ok, so this technology interrests me. It's called "ACTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION".

http://www.eetimes.com/story/industry/systems_and_software_news/OEG20001005S0030

I was researching to see if it would be feesable to purchase it and try it on the sled.

Unfortunately the only product that I can find on the market is a book which describes active noise cancellation.

I know that siemens, and lotus are working on/incorporating this into vehicles. They monitor the sound waves and produce a soundwave that is the inverse frequency and amplitude of the original. If you could put this on a can and effectively cancel the noise, it would be worth a couple of hundees for me, but if we're talkin a thou, to ten thou then we'll just have to Keep makin noise.

Premium Features