• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loud Exhaust On Snowmobiles... Is there a place for this anymore?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
I
Nov 26, 2007
hypocrite??? LOL Thats like calling a cop a hypocrite for catching up to a car that was speeding. If you wouldnt have caused the problem in the first place.

So you are the trail police? :rolleyes:

Sorry, had to be said. Anyone remember when we used to have civil discussions based on facts and didn't resort to name calling or advanced fighting?

Me neither. Carry on.

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com
No I'm not the trail police. I am a guy that has ran a snowmobile business for many years at the beginning of a trail head and has seen the damages and effects of people like anti hero not giving a sh*t. Ive had to listen to skiers piss and moan because of idiots like this. It's stupid and so easy to fix.

Alot of days thats the first thing we hear when our customers come in for a tour or to rent a sled. Holy crap those guys our crazy, those guys that raced apast us just about hit our car with our customers faces all wet, covered with snow dust also asking why you have such loud exaust.
I guess if you can't make power make noice.

No one would even care if you guys had loud exaust if you just stay out of the throttle at the trail head or when you were passing a group of skiers on the trail.

I don't think you get it either icr if you are hinting to me that you are taking anti hero's side on this. Looks like you got yourself a anti snowmobile buddy now.

Sorry that I care about our sport and where it is going tomorrow and if you don't think taking action towards idiots who have no regard for our sport either then so be it.

Reactions: backcountryislife
I
Nov 26, 2007
Alot of days thats the first thing we hear when our customers come in for a tour or to rent a sled. Holy crap those guys our crazy, those guys that raced apast us just about hit our car with our customers faces all wet, covered with snow dust also asking why you have such loud exaust.

I don't think you get it either icr if you are hinting to me that you are taking anti hero's side on this. Looks like you got yourself a anti snowmobile buddy now.

You're associating loud exhaust with parking lot posers. I'll agree they often go together but not always. I think I do get it, but I don't care if you get that I get it. Because it sounds to me like you're more worried about protecting your business than the effects of loud exhaust on land closure, which was kinda what this thread used to be about.

So only quiet sleds are fast? Or do you agree that most exhausts that increase power also increase noise?

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
No I'm not the trail police. I am a guy that has ran a snowmobile business for many years at the beginning of a trail head and has seen the damages and effects of people like anti hero not giving a sh*t. Ive had to listen to skiers piss and moan because of idiots like this. It's stupid and so easy to fix.

No one would even care if you guys had loud exaust if you just stay out of the throttle at the trail head or when you were passing a group of skiers on the trail.

Sorry that I care about our sport and where it is going tomorrow and if you don't think taking action towards idiots who have no regard for our sport either then so be it.

Now nobody cares about loud exhaust really? that is why this thread is here Hello, 200 plus posts? , so is it that sledders ride too fast and that is what closes sledding areas. Or maybe you should pony on up and tell your customers that one aspect of sledding are people who enjoy going fast, and maybe if that is the only thing they can focus on after sledding all day, then maybe their tour sucked or sledding is just not their sport. It is not for everyone and I'm glad if everyone went sledding is would be one big CF. so if my electric sled passed you at 80 per se 6 dB would you give me an ear full?

Last edited:

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
This thread is fun. Our group of riders that goes west each year is a great group all around. We ride two places usually each year, and usually we hit Togwotee for sure each year. Togwotee has all types of riders, backcountry, trail, never been on a sled before, you name they are there. That being said, I give everyone respect, if someone needs plugs, gas or a pair of gloves here ya go. But when you get behind that group that is going a whopping 25 mph(which I have no problem with if that is there comfy speed). What I do have a problem with is when you follow the slow group for 5-8 miles and they don't pull over to let the fast group by. To me that is just as rude as blasting by someone with no warning. After following a group that long and they dont pull over, well then the Slp twins will politely bark going by. Just my feelings.

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com
I agree with you snowdog 100% following a slow moving tour/group is lame and is just as rude when people blow by someone that you can very easily tell that they are very inexperienced by the dead give away of what they are wearing, the bright neon orange helmet, or the way they are riding. You have to do what you have to do to pass sometimes but what anti hero doesnt get is in parking lots, around skiers, lodges, and any group of people, thats the most sensitive time to have a loud pipe going at full throttle or a sled at a overly fast rate of speed. He also seems to have a major problem with anybody that will stand up for this sport. Any person that I have ever approached for having no regard for others in sensitive area have fully understood there wrong doing and relizes how important it is afterwords.

Originally Posted by Anti-Hero:
I just can't believe your ignorant responses.
Now nobody cares about loud exhaust really?
First off I never said that. Again don't put words in my mouth, and yes nobody cares about loud exaust when nobody can hear it. that is why this thread is here Hello, 200 plus posts? , so is it that sledders ride too fast and that is what closes sledding areas.

Yes riding to fast and grabbing a handful of throttle next to skiers and other people does contribute to the anger and motivation for them to act in such a manner that will ultimately help or contribute to more closures.

Or maybe you should pony on up and tell your customers that one aspect of sledding are people who enjoy going fast,
Pony up? You still don't get the point. I said blowing by our customers, other riders, skiers and other groups of people.

and maybe if that is the only thing they can focus on after sledding all day, Don't be dumb, I never said anything about them just focusing on that and I was refering to when they are walking to our place of business.
then maybe their tour sucked Don't try to get me to threaten you. or sledding is just not their sport.
It is not for everyone and I'm glad if everyone went sledding is would be one big CF. so if my electric sled passed you at 80 per se 6 dB would you give me an ear full?
If i was cruising down the trail around 40+ mph, No. If I was stopped or standing on the trail and you passed me at 80 within feet, I'd beat your a**. Somebody has to stand up to the DA out there that do nothing but take from our sport.

Last edited:
A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado

See the red font, you did write that! futhermore:

One problem with your thinking, “if nobody is around to hear you sled” how are you sure? It has been recorded from hollering the human voice can be heard some 3 miles away. Sound travels at approximately 350 meters per second, and I am sure your sled is louder than human voice, are you sure nobody hears it?

Last edited:
Reactions: team dirt

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This thread is fun. Our group of riders that goes west each year is a great group all around. We ride two places usually each year, and usually we hit Togwotee for sure each year. Togwotee has all types of riders, backcountry, trail, never been on a sled before, you name they are there. That being said, I give everyone respect, if someone needs plugs, gas or a pair of gloves here ya go. But when you get behind that group that is going a whopping 25 mph(which I have no problem with if that is there comfy speed). What I do have a problem with is when you follow the slow group for 5-8 miles and they don't pull over to let the fast group by. To me that is just as rude as blasting by someone with no warning. After following a group that long and they dont pull over, well then the Slp twins will politely bark going by. Just my feelings.

To tell the truth .... I'm not as worried about other sledders in regards to noise... not much at all..

Lets not turn this into a saftey or speed thead here...

Most sledders I know love to hang out with other sledders...

Again, it is the perception of NON sledders about snowmobiling that is of concern me... and the outdoor user as I here it said.... Has the snowmobile HUGELY outnumbered by Joe Q Public

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
How I do it is
1) Being involved with my local and state orgs and helping noobs get involved in the sport. I even loan out my spare sled and gear and take the curious out riding. I volunteer for work parties and do trail maintenance and work our booth at events.
2) I write calm, adult, point specific letters to my state legislature, governor and congressional delegation expressing my concerns. (I also have my wife proof-read them so I don't come off like an idiot)
3) When I'm out riding I exercise caution and courtesy on common use trails. In AK we don't encounter skiers too much but we do share trails with dog mushers quite a bit. When I encounter a sled team I pull over, hit the kill switch and wait for the dogs to pass. 95% of the time I get thanked.
4) If I do encounter skiers/snowshoers I extend them the same courtesy I do mushers. I haven't been flipped off or spit at or anything (yet).

I realize that anyone on skis is likely to be "the enemy" so I'm careful not to give my enemy any ammo to use against me. If I'm ever assaulted by a non-motorized activist type I hope I will remain composed enough to be smart about it--get pictures, witness statements--evidence, and then lawyer-up. If they get really physical well then I guess we'll see who kicks whose a$$. (but realistically that's not likely to happen)

Your attitude of "They hate us no matter what, so I'm free to act like an azz clown" is helping to kill our sport one vote at a time.

All I'm asking is that you try and be a good ambassador of the sport...on behalf of everyone who likes to ride sleds.

Well said.

This is exactly what I try to do & what I try to get my fellow riders to think about. I ride in a VERY multi use area, we're outnumbered 2:1 at my local area so I do my best to show a little respect.

It's not that hard. It's also not at all hard to buy a quieter can.

Reactions: mountainhorse
B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
what about loud exhaust on sh!ty little honda civics full of skiers that hate us no matter what. does that count

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!!!!

nobody likes fart cans on hondas, but at the same time nobody is threatening to close down freeways due to noise complaints from hondas. ^_^

..the skiers complaining about the noise aren't the ones that drive hondas..those guys would love to get a tow out in the backcountry, and party with you. It's the ones in the VW, Subis, and hybreds you gotta watch for.. It's easy to spot the difference skiers with movable heels and no edges = bad, skiers with twin tips and lockable heels = good.

Just cause you ski doesn't mean you don't like to sled as well --- I enjoy both.

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
"Don't try to get me to threaten you." yamahamom

oh god forbid an internet threat, what should I do? run, hide, call the ACLU? did the metric meter mess you up? here how about 1148 feet (12 inches per foot) per second, so how far away do you have to be?

which tour do you run?

Last edited:
K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Great thread...

It took me a while to read the whole thread, but well worth it. I am having a hard time believing that the "greenies or skinny skiers" are the ones that are getting our riding areas closed. Politics and public closure meetings are a big part.. With that said, they are still human beings so we should treat them like it. If you have a sled with loud pipes just make it a point to slow down and ease out of the throttle for a few minutes of your day while you get by them.
I am having a hard time understanding that louder pipes do not mean more horse power. You can throw a set of twin pipes on a 1000cc motor and gain 25hp and I am yet to see a set of twins on a big bore that are quiter than stock...not trying to pizz anybody off but that is plain and simple. Also, with that said i do have a problem with that same set up tearing it up in the parking lot where other snowmobilers, skiers, etc are all forced to listen to it.

It is also kind of funny that the "greenies" that are mentioned are trying to close our riding areas. It seems like when ever one of them gets stranded on the mountain it is usually a SAR's group of snowmobilers that gets to saddle up and rescue them, without even knowing them or getting paid for their hours of searching...

Also kind of funny that they are the ones that are supposably saving the environment and when you are in the truck heading to the hill you usually pass three or four different sections of road with the sign stating: "Next two miles adopted by such and such snowmobile association"...I have yet to see a section that they have adopted for liter control...or "this warming hut donated by ________ snowmobile club...and they are welcome to use these warming huts with no questions asked.

Seems like the bigger issue forcing the publics eye on snowmobilers lately is avalanche deaths...The majority of the public that pushes for the closures have probably never heard the sweet sound of a big horse power sled and said "that is too loud, we need to close their riding area down". It seems over the last few years with all the deaths due to more technical snowmobiles being able to access the backcountry and getting caught in a slide is what is pushing closures...IMO

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
It took me a while to read the whole thread, but well worth it. I am having a hard time believing that the "greenies or skinny skiers" are the ones that are getting our riding areas closed. Politics and public closure meetings are a big part.. With that said, they are still human beings so we should treat them like it. If you have a sled with loud pipes just make it a point to slow down and ease out of the throttle for a few minutes of your day while you get by them.
I am having a hard time understanding that louder pipes do not mean more horse power. You can throw a set of twin pipes on a 1000cc motor and gain 25hp and I am yet to see a set of twins on a big bore that are quiter than stock...not trying to pizz anybody off but that is plain and simple. Also, with that said i do have a problem with that same set up tearing it up in the parking lot where other snowmobilers, skiers, etc are all forced to listen to it.

It is also kind of funny that the "greenies" that are mentioned are trying to close our riding areas. It seems like when ever one of them gets stranded on the mountain it is usually a SAR's group of snowmobilers that gets to saddle up and rescue them, without even knowing them or getting paid for their hours of searching...

Also kind of funny that they are the ones that are supposably saving the environment and when you are in the truck heading to the hill you usually pass three or four different sections of road with the sign stating: "Next two miles adopted by such and such snowmobile association"...I have yet to see a section that they have adopted for liter control...or "this warming hut donated by ________ snowmobile club...and they are welcome to use these warming huts with no questions asked.

Seems like the bigger issue forcing the publics eye on snowmobilers lately is avalanche deaths...The majority of the public that pushes for the closures have probably never heard the sweet sound of a big horse power sled and said "that is too loud, we need to close their riding area down". It seems over the last few years with all the deaths due to more technical snowmobiles being able to access the backcountry and getting caught in a slide is what is pushing closures...IMO

Very good response

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Coming from the Owner (AA/AT ) of Union Bay Racing Engines (well ex owner at least)....

This guy has had his hands on some of he best big bore, high output motors in the business.

Loud sleds do hurt the sport.If you don't think so well....

When I used to build exh systems for engine kits I allmost allways used slp mufflers.They were fairly quiet and I never found they made less hp.On some kits they actually made more hp then stinger type setups.

My current sled has stingers(the pipe kit for the engine came that way) and my first project for getting it ready for this season is to get a slp muffler installed on it.I know it wont lose any power and it will be much quieter....

I'm on a 2002 800 edge with a billet 900 kit on it.Had a few 1150 sleds too and they all had slp cans on them.The billet 900 kit came with stingers and it is just to loud.The kit was made before I was part of the deal and I never got to change it to a can setup.

I want to build a TM8 and when I do it will have a muffler on it.Straight pipe turbos are to loud. Putting a muffler on will not hurt power at all and it will sound much better. (not so loud)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I am yet to see a set of twins on a big bore that are quiter than stock...not trying to pizz anybody off but that is plain and simple.

Quieter than stock... No.. the aftermarket companies dont have the resources for that...Nor do they have to meet EPA regs.... YET.

But this does not mean that there is a HUGE difference between what is available, Like AA/AT points out, and a full open turbo with side exit exhaust or a set of stingers with the packig burned out or too small to start with!

Premium Features