• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Los Angeles

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I am gonna try to go next weekend. After this storm no more storms for at least a week and will warm up next weekend and above freezing by friday.

Does anyone know the local riders from Sugarloaf and or the guys from Bakersfield? Maybe they will go?

Also, anybody think/want to spend the night?

I found a place near the entrance to Sherman road for $80 a night (two beds)or a cottage for $125 (4 beds with kitchen)

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
I still have the camper on, so I'll probably stay on the hill. That way if you head down to the lodge you can leave the trailer/sleds and save hauling them up and down. Get a little riding in on Sunday too.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Committed to go this weekend. Not sure what time I get there Saturday. Will be in the AM.

No replies from any of the Sugarloafers / Bakersfield club.

It's looking good for me as of now. I'll give you a call later in the week.
No matter what time I leave at I can't seem to make it to the lot before 10...:D

I was up on Sunday afternoon, the road up was barely visible. Lots of fog, and drifted out everywhere. Getting back to the truck was even worse as it was snowing heavily. The yurt door had only a foot at the top you could see.
I shoveled it out. I sent a few pics to the sugarloafers page to post...I don't know if they'll post them or not.

Last edited:
G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Sounds good.. I PM'ed my cell # last week to ya, let me know. No problem for 10 am, I'll keep an eye out for you. I usually get there around 8:30. Should be some good riding this weekend.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
From Sugarloafers. Talked to Bob for 1/2 hour gave me great insight to places:

Name: bfrenes
Email: bfrenes@fs.fed.us
Date: Thursday February 28, 2008
Time: 04:02 PM

Everything is groomed, perfect snow conditions. 8 1/2' ft. at sherman Pass, 5'to 6' at Poloma meadow. The warming hut caved in on one side Eric and I made repairs. Do not use the fire place it seperated inside the triple wall.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Heading up right now ... If you see a black Suburban pulling a white tandem trailer .... it is me .

See ya up there!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Nice weekend at Sherman ... five to 8 feet of trail and more up on top !

Thanks for showing me the secrect bowl and dozens of meadows!

Nice riding Bluejay ! Glad to meet you the_machinist !

Awesome !

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Good riding last weekend. Great coverage but setting up quick, after lunch it softens up a little. Made for some fun boondocking and a good go anywhere kind of day. Glad to finally ride with you Don and meet up with Tommy. We'll let Tom tell his story of his misadventure of the weekend!
Need to plan another run up there soon in a week or two.... anyone got any plans, throw em out there.

some pics...

mike

Last edited:
LOL, glad to meet you guys too. Maybe next time we'll be able to ride together.
I was locked down this weekend w/ work again. No plans, here really but throw something out and maybe we can go for it.
I liked your camping set-up...fun. Next time I'll try to plan on sticking around.
Let's DOO it!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Enjoyed the company , the sled , the mountain and all the riding we did.

Looks like another storm coming in Thursday thrugh Monday. Maybe the same as last storm but some are guessing bigger. Last one put down two feet of snow while the_machinist was up in those hills.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Was at Sherman Friday Saturday Sunday.
Friday - Slush
Saturday Ice
Sunday 2-6 inches with ice underneath

Very lonely place but got in about 100 miles

T
Nov 26, 2007
Orange County CA
La riding

Don, I live in south orange county. I keep my sled up in Sac at my brothers house. I've been following this thread through out the season. I think I'm going to bring the sled down this summer and keep it here for riding down this way and just drive it up north when I'm going to ride with the nor cal guys. I have a 06 m7 with the RKT 800 kit with SLP twins. Is the noise going to be a factor for riding in the La area? I know this is way in advance but I'd like to hook up with you and any other so cal riders next season to see what La has to offer.

Premium Features