• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Los Angeles

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Over 4 feet new snow at cabin in Los Angeles on HWY 2.

Caltrans won't allow us up to the cabin because of avalanches killing those guys in Wrightwood. :eek:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Anybody going for a ride Sunday the 26th?

Caltrans asked us not to go up HWY 2 since all the people from Los Angeles will go up there ... lots of cars it is really screwed up. Gonna go up 1 Feb with Caltrans escourt and spend the weekend.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Was thinking of a nearby ride on HWY 2 this weekend or maybe head up to Huntington Lake.

If I go on Hwy2 will stay the night there at the cabin.

Cabin will easily hold a dozen people and is accessible by sled or walking. Unless Caltrans decides to plow the next 5 miles of road past the closed gate then it is a 200 yard trek from HWY2 parking lot.

2 to 3 feet of snow on the road with more on trail.

Anybody riding this weekend around or from LA?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Interesting where abouts can you actually ride up on the 2, as well as trails and a cabin? Can you approach from the 14 side?

No trails to ride. Ride on HWY 2 since it is closed and unplowed. Also have access road to climb and ride to top of ridge to check ski lifts.

Not allowed to ride in forest just roads only and they must be closed.

From 14 take N3 to Upper big Tujunga go north on 2 till ends at gate.
If gate open (not much riding) then to Buckhorn area and hang out at Buckhorn.

Buckhorn access road is less than mile long and HWY 2 ride road is about 5 miles. Not much riding but for my children it is more than enough on their 120.

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Made it back from Idaho. Lots of great riding, tons of snow. Went riding with my folks and their club mostly so nothing crazy. Did some great boondocking, creek crossings and a few stucks. Good times. Will post some pics when I get to my computer at home.
Gonna head up to Sherman tomorrow with the wife and her sled too. She likes the trails, but doesn't mind a good fire at the hut if I go out and play now and then. Hit me up Tommy for some boondockin if you're up that way. We'll be cruisin around and stopping at the hut from time to time. Anyone else wanna ride I'm in a charcoal F250 with 2 Ski Doos around 9am.

Don- Hwy 2 sounds cool for a fun ride. Wonder if I could access from Wrightwood side? I know the hwy is washed out and gone in places from a few winters ago. Give us an update, may go for a ride there next time.

mike

Good to see you back. Where about did you go? Priest Lake/Sandpoint?

I had a couple problems at work this week. I went from having the weekend off to working both days now most likely. I don't mind @ all if we meet up and the family is with - actually cool, let me know and I'll bring mine. :)

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
The family will be with, for tomorrow, ....bummer about work.. I know how that goes. If anything changes?... we'll be there tomorrow for sure.

Was at my folks in Hayden, and rode the Bitterroots around Cda mostly, and 2 days at Priest Lake.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm heading up to Sherman again, should be sweet after this snow.
Going to bring my splitboard should be great turns up there.
:D

Went up to Sherman for the past two days ... just came back.

Local boys from Bakersfield showed me around a little bit of the area.

WOW ! The hospitality, riding abilities and overall sportmanship of these guys are awesome.

Lots and lots of powder. Lots of trails and a nice warming hut to eat lunch !

Great Don, glad you had fun tearing it up. shhh...not many people ride over that way. Let's keep the locals over on greenhorn/sugarloaf side eh? lol
Snow should be deep up there now. Lots of cool stuff to ride if you poke around some.

Did you get to meet Bluejay?

any pics?

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Rode Sherman yesterday. 5 ft at the snowpole at the vista. Starting to set up some and made go-anywhere conditions off trail. Even got my wife to venture around some and dodge some trees, but she mostly stuck to the trail while I explored a little. Bob was out grooming all day, and we stopped and chatted on his way down to Blackrock Station. Saw some other tracks later in the day, but surprised that more people weren't out. Beautiful weather and had the mountain to ourselves... sure can't complain. Supposed to get another foot today.... keep it coming!
Thinking maybe in 2 weeks putting the camper on the truck and staying overnight and then ride a little on Sunday too before heading home. Anyone else have any thoughts on a group ride/camp? I'm game to making a weekend thing of it.

some pics from Idaho..

mike

Last edited:
G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Where you there yesterday Don? Didn't see anyone except the groomer.

We're all gonna have to work on our planning :D

some pics before the batteries died....

Last edited:
Man, I'm stuck here @ work. I WILL be ditching a day this week. Things are starting to clear up for me schedule wise here @ work. I'm interested in a couple back to back days of riding. A few buddies and I camped in the yurt a couple wknds ago. super fun.
thanks for sharing the pics...I try to make it up to ID every year too. It's awesome there.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Where you there yesterday Don? Didn't see anyone except the groomer.

We're all gonna have to work on our planning :D

some pics before the batteries died....

Rode with a group of 4 from the Sugarloafers club. I sure enjoyed myself.

Was up the mountain around 10AM and left around 3PM Had lunch at the HUT.

You must have been the two pickup trucks and one with a flat bed trailer on it?

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Yea I was in the F250 with the trailer next to the FS truck. We left around 9am, had lunch at the hut and started the fire in the stove. We headed east towards Bald Mtn. and caught up with the groomer, then worked our way back, playing around here and there. Saw your tracks, and got back to the truck around 4pm. Bummer we missed you guys.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Yea I was in the F250 with the trailer next to the FS truck. We left around 9am, had lunch at the hut and started the fire in the stove. We headed east towards Bald Mtn. and caught up with the groomer, then worked our way back, playing around here and there. Saw your tracks, and got back to the truck around 4pm. Bummer we missed you guys.

Looks like we arrived half hour after you arrived and left half an hour before came back.

Can't really say where I was except for the warming hut and Sherman Pass.

Did mostly off trail and had a blast. I am amazed how much groomed trail and off trail you can do at Sherman.

I rode out by my house yesterday afternoon. It wasn't bottomless pow, um...go anywhere hero snow maybe. j/k 6" up to 2 ft.
If you'd like to check out the pics www.scicontech.com/tommy
This is the LA national forest, in pic 433, quail lake is in the right corner, and straight behind is the 5 fwy just south of Gorman on the grapevine. I was able to put in about 40 miles.

dang...altasierra.com is claiming 3-4 ft new...
anyone ditch work this week?

Last edited:
Premium Features