• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Los Angeles

I rode out by my house yesterday afternoon. It wasn't bottomless pow, um...go anywhere hero snow maybe. j/k 6" up to 2 ft.
If you'd like to check out the pics www.scicontech.com/tommy
This is the LA national forest, in pic 433, quail lake is in the right corner, and straight behind is the 5 fwy just south of Gorman on the grapevine. I was able to put in about 40 miles.

dang...altasierra.com is claiming 3-4 ft new...
anyone ditch work this week?

Nice pics. Awesome you can ride around Gorman. Is this enter at your own risk ride area or can anyone ride there?

I was thru Gorman on the way back from Sherman around 7PM on Saturday.

I'm not sure the actual status. All of the land is open to 4x4, dirt bikes and quads for riding. I was able to ride further than I had been able to on my dirtbike, FS had all the gates open now. It was closed a year ago because of fire damage but it's all open now. I had to access up a dirt road in 4x4, there isn't anywhere to get a trailer. It would be fun for the kids to poke around.
I doubt anybody would hassle you there, I was surprised I was able to unload and ride. Having to work yesterday, it made for a little fun.

I took a mental health day yesterday. LOL I went up to Sherman, post at the vista is reading 7 ft. The snow was deep everywhere, I had about 3 stucks.
Eric was there grooming, he had the main trail done. He and the plow were mainly working the road trying to get it cleared for parking space.
Excellent conditions-get it while you can.

I took a mental health day yesterday. LOL I went up to Sherman, post at the vista is reading 7 ft. The snow was deep everywhere, I had about 3 stucks.
Eric was there grooming, he had the main trail done. He and the plow were mainly working the road trying to get it cleared for parking space.
Excellent conditions-get it while you can.

Lucky man, living in LA I go mental all the time but my time is my own.
Trying to get to snow ... HWY 2 closed 5 miles prior to our cabin and no "motorized" vehicles allowed past the gate.

Anyway ... see what children of mine want to go to snow. Maybe I could tow the 120 behind my sled and get them up Sherman that way ???

Did they move the "parking lot" further down Sherman pass road?

Nice pics Tommy... good news about the vista. Too busy this week at work to take off and this weekend is shot. Going to load the camper this weekend and gonna hit Sherman the next weekend (16 and 17). Camp out at the stage area Saturday night and get a little ride in on Sunday too. Anyone else interested?.. come on up... maybe even a little night run???

When I was leaving there really wasn't a parking lot yet. The snow was much lower down the road. They were clearing it so probably by end of the week it should be better. We rode most of the day and they hadn't made it that far up yet. I couldn't tell you exactly how far down they were, sorry.
Eric a FS person that helps w/ grooming was there and he mentioned that he and his boss got snowed in @ Blackrock for a couple days when this storm passed through. He was helping the plow to try to clear some snow from the road.

I'm probably shut down for this weekend too. I'm definitely going to try to make next weekend happen though. I'll shoot you a pm w/ my cell # sometime next week.

Don-I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure you can park/stage @ Kennedy Meadow off 395 and get through that way as well. I think there is enough snow now. I know once you're up to park w/ your rig that you don't have to climb up the switch backs. The trail was nicely groomed too so I think the kids could make it up the regular way too.

Last edited:
Well as you read the Huntington Lake post I did have a place set up for 14 -15 16- 17 18 Feb AND now it is no more.

Any ideas on how to take the whole family sledding which means we need a babysitter?

Don't care where we go as long as the kids have a good time playing anywhere plus my wife gets to ride for the first time.

Don

Wow !!! Sherman rocks !!! Went to Logview meadow today over 2 miles long !!! and knee to waist deep !!

Unloaded at the gate and enjoyed every minute !!

Was really warm ... in the 50's

Wow !!! Sherman rocks !!! Went to Logview meadow today over 2 miles long !!! and knee to waist deep !!

Is that on the east end by Kennedy meadows? Did you come up 9 mile canyon from the 395?

Bad snow coverage the last couple years has kept me from trying that way in, but talking to Bob on the groomer last week, he said the snow is good to the gate at Kennedy area.

I have yet to try Kennedy Meadow access but I think the snow is good enough now to make it in that way. I had rode over on the sled on my first ride up this season and I almost made it all the way thru...I think that would shorten my drive too. Hopfuly see you next weekend.

Take the kids up Don?

Well got the camper on and ready for next weekend. Gonna go up Sherman side and stay at the stage area. It's probably still at the lower pull out, but that's ok, still enough room for a bunch of rigs, just turning around with a trailer is a little more interesting.
Should be there around 9am on Saturday... gonna have the family on their sled also, so come on up with the family. We can get a fire going at the hut and maybe break off for a boondock run for a bit. If anyone else wants to camp that would be great, gonna cook up a dinner, have a campfire, put the kiddies to bed and maybe a night run???? adventures are endless. Then play around a bit on Sunday before heading home. Offers out to anyone, should be a blast.
some pics from last campouts.

mike

Last edited:
Is that on the east end by Kennedy meadows? Did you come up 9 mile canyon from the 395?

Bad snow coverage the last couple years has kept me from trying that way in, but talking to Bob on the groomer last week, he said the snow is good to the gate at Kennedy area.

I came up the "regular way" thru Isabella and the bakersfield access. We parked at a road access going south east of Sherman and travelled it all over on ungroomed trails. There were about 5 or 6 thin/bald spots getting above 7,000 but the powder was deep (at least 5 plus feet) above 7000.

I think the nine mile road to kennedy meadows would work if there is gate access. At what elevation does snow begin on nine mile road?

1. Head west on Nine Mile Canyon Rd toward Sterling Rd 10.0 mi

2. Continue on Kennedy Meadow Rd/Sherman Pass Rd 1.1 mi

3. Slight right to stay on Kennedy Meadow Rd/Sherman Pass Rd
Continue to follow Kennedy Meadow Rd 11.3 mi

4. Turn left at Kennedy Meadow Rd/Sherman Pass Rd 1.7 mi

5. Turn left at NF-22S05/Sherman Pass Rd 12.7 mi

6. Slight left to stay on NF-22S05/Sherman Pass Rd 5.9 mi

7. Slight right at Sherman Pass Rd 1.5 mi

To: Sherman Pass Rd
Springville, CA 93265

It may not add up above but it is 63 miles from HWY 395 to Sherman pass staging area where one normally unloads.

It would aleviate the ride to Isabella and then to and up Sherman Road. I think we could travel much faster on the 14 to the nine mile road.

How deep is the snow at Kennedy meadow?

KENNEDY MEADOWS:
60 miles northeast of Kernville via Mtn. 99 and Sherman Pass Rd. (22S05), or 26 miles west of Hwy. 395 via Nine Mile Canyon Rd. (J41). Paved roads; 38 units including 15 suitable for RV's up to 30'; restrooms; piped well water; no trash collection. Elevation 5,800 feet. Open all year. Fee $10 per night.

Blackrock Visitor Information Station is located 50 miles northeast of Kernville or 38 miles west of Hwy. 395. Forest information and permits for fires, wilderness and woodcutting are available from June to November. The Visitor Information Station is open Thur. thru Mon. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For further information please call Blackrock at (760) 376-3781 ext. 276, or contact
Kern River Ranger District
P.O. Box 9
105 Whitney Road
Kernville, CA 93238
(760) 376-3781

Does anyone know who maintains nine mile road? If it is Caltrans ... what is the substation to contact/advise our wish to access the snow trail system from there.

www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/recreation/ohv-osv/cm_osv_trail_guide.pdf

We ended up on/near Cannell / Osa Trail and had a blast and I think that's were this huge meadow with no trees and a creek at one end is located.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iL...7Ge&sig=sa9sVzKnApgNUO1AbUYxP10Xz28#PPA134,M1

Last edited:
Okay ... got some more info on east access to Sherman pass from the 395.

North of the 395 just above Ridgecrest where the 395 / 14 merge is a road called nine mile road. It is maintained by INYO County and peaks at 6400 feet. Nine Mile Road is 10.6 miles long and there is one climb in a few miles from the 395 to Kennedy Meadow with over 3500 evelation change. In other words it is a really short and steep climb!

Once the road enters Tulare County it becomes Kennedy Meadow Road.
Elevation for Kennedy Meadow is 5500 to 6500 feet.

Drive from the 395 to the road closed gate is 25 miles and the posted speed limit is 35 MPH

People unload at the road closed sign and the gate is built so you can snowmobile past the gate with out opening it.

Been told it is a tight place to turn around with a trailer but people do it all the time.

There was a group of snowmobilers there on Sunday the 10th of Feb. and rode to Sherman pass from the gate. Snow was over 2 feet at Kennedy Meadow from the last storm but now is very patchy.

It is 22 miles from the close gate ate Kennedy Meadows to Sherman Pass.

Kennedy Meadow Road turns ino Sherman Road once you enter the national forest.

The most common area where snow melts is Rodeo Flats. There is little tree coverage there at an elevation of 7400 feet and 5 miles from the gate at Kennedy Meadow Road. Typically the open patch area is 1/2 to a mile long.

There is a small community there with a seasonal store open March April to November. No gas station there but the nearest is Pearsonville 36 miles away.

Obtained this information from volunteer Fire department / Search and Rescue at Kennedy Meadow and the Grumpy Bear Store ( 559-850-5647 )owner.

Kennedy Meadows Fire Station #18
(Reserve Staff)
Box 3A-10 Kennedy Meadows Road
Inyo-Kern, CA 93527
--
Battalion 2

Phone: (661) 536-8557

Also talked to Bob the groomer and says the first 5 miles of Kennedy Meadow Road is ungroomed then enter the groomed trail area. Most trails are normally groomed with more grooming this week.

Last edited:
That sounds about what Bob said when I talked to him the other week. The snow is ok, but can get some bald spots here and there. I've been on 9 mile during the off season and yes it gets steep. Would hate to go through all that and then find bad snow conditions and get stuck only on that end. So up the "normal" way I usually go and know I'll get some sledding in.
Will be there on Sat. morning 9am... Anyone else going up? Let me know, and we'll wait around.... want to finally get a ride in together.

Machinist- I missed you in Dec., but heard you go past the Yurt. I tried to catch up, but lost your tracks somewhere and came across some virgin powder, so of course I played around and stuck myself, out alone. Not the smartest idea, but alot of fun...... some pics.

Hope to see some of you guys this weekend....

Last edited:

We unloaded at NF-22s12. This a couple weeks ago.

Had a fun time last weekend. Went out past Blackrock towards Monache, then back over near the warming hut. The snow is really set up and spring-like and coverage is good- so pretty much point and shoot. The wife stays near the trail so I can't venture too far, but sure wanted to.
Ran into a couple of sleds, but pretty quiet the whole weekend as far as crowds. I figured there would of been more up there with the nice temps and blue sky. Camped at the lower stage, good fire, cold beer, I wasn't complaining. Sunday we ran down and got into Mosquito Meadow and had a blast. No tracks out there before us.. a little of powder on the western side, but set enough I didn't have to worry about her having problems, and I could sneak off for some tree dodging. Even found a good hill for my son to ride his sled down. Good times for everybody, and now it looks like more snow is on the way :face-icon-small-hap
Anyone going up for some powder this Sat? I wasn't planning to, BUT watching this storm has my interest now so I'm rethinking my plans and not sure how many more we'll get. Crossing my fingers for a big-dump March.

From what weather services I use they all say rain and snow thru Sunday with levels to 5,000 feet and accumulations of 1 feet plus more than 4 feet at higher elevations 7,000 feet. The heaviest rain/snow is suppose to be Saturday/Sunday.

Last edited:
Let's plan a guys run next Saturday. Wife and In-law stuff going on, so I have a free pass... definatley got to use it.
Sherman at 9am? and bring extra gas :D

Premium Features

Back