• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Los Angeles

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey Don,

Any place happening here in LA now?

Just checked in.

I think people here are saying Sherman is a good spot.

Called Big Bear today but have less than 2 feet of snow so can't ride.
(I get conflicting rules as to what is enough snow to ride on. Some NFS people say a foot, some say 2 feet, some say "proper conditions")

All the "authorized" areas I know in SOCAL are just a few square miles with the exception of riding with local sledders in Big Bear. I have not ridden in Big Bear for a long time but there are people up there that do. I suspect a non local riding there would get into some big trouble. I would ask Snowblind who to contact to ride with in Big Bear.

You can ride on HWY 2 where it is closed but the trip on HWY 2 from the 210 will take a hour or two. I ride it and spend time there because of access to an overnite cabin. I get Caltrans approval AND have an "instruction book" to use a sled with a high degree of safety for the NFS.

I think with the time involved why not go to Sherman? Seems like the people on here enjoy it plus they groomed the trail?

Here are a couple small places to go in SOCAL: And I want to stress the word SMALL unless you can keep ridin on the forest roads below.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/wintersports/snowmobile.shtml

Snowmobiling

Snowmobile Rules on the San Bernardino National Forest
Must ride on designated routes - no open travel permitted

Must have current green/red sticker registration from the California Department of Motor Vehicles

Must be equipped with a functioning and US Forest Service approved Spark Arrester

Haul vehicles and trailers must not block gates or roadways

Snow must be greater than one (1) foot in depth

Snowmobile use is permitted in two locations:
Coon Creek area, off State Highway 38 above Barton Flats / Angelus Oaks - Riding is permitted on Forest Roads 1N02 and 1N95. Users must call the Mill Creek Ranger Station at (909) 382-2881 to check conditions and obtain permit.

Running Springs / Arrowbear Area off State Highway 18- Riding is permitted on Forest Road 1N96 Keller Peak Road. Users must call the Skyforest Ranger Station at (909) 382- 2782 to check conditions and get directions.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Alta Sierra Ski area on west side of Isabella is showing 6-8" new as of 9pm last night and snowing heavy. Hopefully they'll update this morning, and talk of more coming in on Thursday. Sherman is higher elevation so 12"+ is a pretty good bet. The remote site at Ponderosa is showing a snowpack of 2 feet, so things are looking up :beer;

For diving time to Sherman from Los Angeles and vice versa.

How long would it take to go to Sherman from the Hwy 5 / 405 interchange in LA county going the speed limit or driving as if it is the first time there ?

How would I Google a map ... from home to Kernville?

Access from the 14 would be best I think.

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Don,
here's a link from Mapquest: http://www.mapquest.com/directions/...1s=ca&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=kernville&2s=ca&2z=&r=f

Straight up the 14, left at 178, then right on (not sure of name, but sign says Kernville 12 miles). Continue straight through Kernville about 10-15 miles along the Kern river, turn hard right at Sherman Road (gate says road closed 10 miles ahead and has a snowmobile sign). Follow road to the closure/parking area and unload. No fee needed.

For diving time to Sherman from Los Angeles and vice versa.

How long would it take to go to Sherman from the Hwy 5 / 405 interchange in LA county going the speed limit or driving as if it is the first time there ?

How would I Google a map ... from home to Kernville?

Access from the 14 would be best I think.

I think it would take you about 3:45 minutes. It takes me about 3 hours and I live between Valencia and Palmdale. From the 5/405 you should be able to make it to Palmdale in about 45 minutes. Also, as you are traveling west across the 178, I prefer to take a right (can't remember name of road-quite a ways on 178 about 15 miles before Isabella) you'll see a large nice painted sign pointing/stating to Kernville about 13 miles, this goes around behind the lake and saves about 12 miles off the trip, so you don't have to go to Lake Isabella town and then over to Kernville.

Depending on how work goes today, I might head up. I have a white F-350, 2 red summits, I'll be sure to say hello if I see you.

Tommy

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Gonna try and take my daughter up to ride at Sherman on Saturday 29 Dec 07
Santa brought her a F120 for X-mas and wants to ride it.

I rode Sherman yesterday 1/6/08. I had to park 5 miles down from the regular parking lot. Rode was not plowed when we arrived. I stopped about 5500', about 8-10". Lots of boondocking once up get up top. 2-3' of fresh pow. Probably 3-4 stucks each :D We got down the back side of a hill that we shouldn't have been on. Took a while to get back up. When we came down the road was plowed but not to the parking lot still. I'd say he stopped about 2 miles short. Excellent conditions. Anyone want to meet up and ride, hit me up.

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Started at Sherman yesterday, turned around at the tree in the road, but saw tracks over it to the right. Thought about unloading there, but was afraid the plows would clear the entire road, and that's way too much asphalt to get back to the truck. Ended up at Greenhorn, a little less than at Sherman, but good overall. About 8" fresh powder at the meadows with 2 ft. base.

Started at Sherman yesterday, turned around at the tree in the road, but saw tracks over it to the right. Thought about unloading there, but was afraid the plows would clear the entire road, and that's way too much asphalt to get back to the truck. Ended up at Greenhorn, a little less than at Sherman, but good overall. About 8" fresh powder at the meadows with 2 ft. base.

bummer, I thought that was you. I recognized your truck from the previous weekend. We got out and moved the tree pretty easy. I've never ridden over @ Greenhorn and Sugarloaf, usually seems like less snow. good times?
That was me in the white Ford going up when you came down.

Tommy

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
ok, that was you?.. I was gonna stop when I saw you had sleds on the back and tell you about the tree, but sliding and stopping were kinda the same thing and you were already around the corner. Sorry I missed you the other weekend, I hung around the stage area for awhile and figured no one was coming.. went and played around for awhile till I solo-stuck and a hour to get out... stayed to the roads then-- ha!
Greenhorn is ok- only been a few times- same thinking as you that Sherman has more snow. Some nice meadows below Tobias lookout- fun times if we can get a Big powder dump.
Next weekend taking sled to N. Idaho for 2 weeks..vacation time! Maybe tie in for a ride first of Feb?

Mike

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Suppose to get 1-2 feet in Los Angelesa Mountains above 5000 feet next 3 days . Maybe get some up north too !

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wanting to go somewhere local on Saturday ... maybe Big Bear , Frazier or Coon Creek ?

Just called San Bernandino dispatch and Running springs has a foot of snow in last 24 hours so Coon Creek at 6800 feet should be getting some.

Premium Features