• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM300XC Build Project

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I'm on a 4t, but I have a temp gauge installed and always try to leave the bike running before turning it off. My thought is to try and get all the fluids up to temperature and rid my oil of gas and water. Maybe that idea would help avoid this ktmsickle again?

It really is amazing how low the engine temperature stays if your not paying attention.

Ya, that is excellent advise for a 4 stroke. I will start mine and let it idle for a good while getting everything hot. It takes a while for all of the oil to circulate through the head and heat up. The vent/breather line will vent out gasses, moisture only "after" the oil temp gets super hot. It would be good to do this during the day at least a couple of times. If we just start them and blast off, the oil never gets up to that 180+ range. There is no oil in a two stroke of course, but getting the case and everything "hot" several times through the day will only help.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
A couple things to add. There is no way it's antifreeze or transmission oil is there ?

One thing to note for the 300 guys (and 250 guys) is the outer cover gasket has had quite a few failures. The gaskets seem to be pushing out causing a host of issues. Slavens has a video of it. Most people are changing it to a Cometic gasket. It's more or less a metal gasket with a coating. I got one from Andrew Cooksey off of KTMTalk.

I believe the 14 may have a green gasket and that one is okay I believe. If it's black I'd get rid of it.

Not sure if that is the issue here or not but may be worth a look. Mine started leaking this year.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I've decided from now on that my bike gets a mandatory oil warmup in the garage before every ride. I had an issue similar to this in Cooke City and ended up with milk oil and added a fair amount of water. This morning it was so cold out my KTM wouldn't kick over with the battery... it got maybe 10 seconds of crank before the battery wore out and I had to jump it with a charger. After the bike warmed up it was 2 engine turns all day for the bike to start.

Mandatory for the battery guys I feel.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think my enclosed will still get a workout this year lol

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Well ive found the problem to my frozen motor lol, dont wash the bike in really cold temps .the bottom of my air box was pluged with ice when I washed it the water had no place to go but straight down into the motor .my bad for sure!!.
No water was found in the gear box at all nice clean oil got to love that,!
the bike ran awesome today 5 hrs of wide open were I was starting to feel bad for the bike than the next steep hill came into sight forgetting all about it lol
all I can say is ive ran this bike under some tuff situations and its back for more.for anyone reading this with a 250 300 setting in the shop,dont thank twice about throwing a MH on your bike you will love it and everyone on the big 4strokes might just be a little jealous haha

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
20 miles of muddy roads following other trucks out leaves the bikes a mess, I dont have a nice inclosed trailer, nor a nice heated shop to dry stuff out, just an old woodshed , so the nice stuff I do have I like to keep it clean from road grime.thats why .
just one of those things I know not to do now, no harm done luckily

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
They look better clean. Plus if you don't wash it occasionally all that chain wax and grease builds up over time and just looks like hell.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
all good

my grandmother said cleanliness is next to godliness , so all good.

but by the way. when you get the urge to blow of the bike at the local coin op...........do your bike a big favor and don't hit the soap button.

more suspension links/wheel bearing/steering head bearings/cables and unmovable bolts ruined by forcing detergent at 1200psi into places soap is public enemy number one.

working as a bike mechanic back in the day when pressure washers came into vogue, the sad fact around the shop was that the annal guys with the cleanest bikes needed the most $$$ to fix all the ruined suspension parts and we had to fire a 3/4 drive air gun to remove 6mm bolts rusted tight from pressure washer detergent. A brush and garden hose only if you care. Race bike tech's pressure wash then disassemble the bike and regrease for next week. You can't do that.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Got the heated grips installed. I used a thin single density grip for heat transfer and it is very nice. They get so hot it's hard to hold the grips with bare hands. These will be very nice. Wiring was fairly straight fwd. There is a "yellow hot" to access behind the front plate. The 3-way switch for HI, LOW, and "OFF" I mounted "flush" and custom looking by the gas tank. The kit will be installed shortly, then the Smart Carb, heater, jacket and intake.

P1010024 small.jpg P1010030 small.jpg P1010031 small.jpg P1010034 small.jpg P1010037 small.jpg

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Mtndoo I have never seen a 2 stroke with a bone dry crankcase. In fact I don't believe that it would run for long! How long have you guys been running the smartcarbs? I mean how many hours. I am concerned about the wear and how it will affect these. I know all about the casting problems they have had and it seems that if this design is this finicky it will wear a couple thousandths and not work so well. Plus look at the teams they support. Pikes peak? Really? Havnt heard about it since the 80s. No top offroad teams or moto. Personally I like the modded kehiens that Dicks Racing does. I can holeshot 450s in sand on live engine starts and that says a lot when you are riding an 08 250 in the A class. Not to be a debby downer but I have seen lots of fads come and go and be aware that shops make money selling you parts, and not always parts you need! Cant wait to get my modded xc 300 on the hill. gonna be fun.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Just because APT was having casting issues doesn't mean anything. Their commitment to perfection is quite amazing. They don't want to release a poor product and it takes balls to push something back as they have done to set the bar high. Corey and gang have done amazing things for powersports ! To be able to share one carb between 7-8 bikes worldwide with nothing more than a top adjustment is something not many other carbs can come close to.

The Smarty will kill your stock carb in every respect, power, response, fuel mileage, and ease of tune with no jetting. It makes EFI look stupid (which it is). I always laugh when I ride my 20 year old CR500 and it runs better and more consistent than my KTM300. Whether it has been in some race or not it has been shown to work very well. For snowbiking its the answer ! The largest issues have been fitment on certain bikes, nothing really more.

Gas Gas must be impressed because they plan on running it as a stock carb for their lineup very soon. Wait until the 4 stroke carb makes it to market, will be spectacular I'm sure.

I believe MtnDoo was referring to the 2 stroke crankcase being dry as in being lubed with oil in the fuel compared to a 4 stroke having a sump of sorts full of cold oil. Another reason the 2 stroke is better LOL, no cold oil in the crankcase. I wanna see any other stock or modified carb compensate for ice/temp/alt like the Smarty does. Don't think there is one.

I love the naysayers, especially when they have not a stitch of time with a Smarty. I'm sure APT can give you a list of teams/testers if that's what one needs as a gauge to success. The Smarty was developed on the 300. Once you try one you won't be going back.

Here is a little Mike S from Cycle Playground review:

http://cycleplayground.com/index.php/tuning-by-mikes/22-apt-smart-carb-impressions

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes, the "dry" case was in respect to a 2T vs 4T. Some people don't understand the basics of the two engines. The 2T has a "dry" case. No oil.

As for fuel delivery systems go, The APT is so far beyond the simple EFI. When the NA- Sayers speak up, with no knowledge, its okay. They have no idea. When you do the side by side test's as an engine builder and tuner.... there is no comparison. As far as OEM applications go, there are meetings with major OEM's for factory installation because if the EPA regulations. The Smart Carb beats EFI by 80% in addition to 13% fuel mileage increase and not to forget, 8/10% increase in HP, AND temp and altitude compensation. Amazing?... yes That's technology, love the minds of our engineers. That's how we got from dial-up to here! As far as "teams" go, Beta , Gas-Gas, Chtistini, and "Ryan Vilipoto", Kawasaki's team Monster energy Supercross champion are testing as well.

No "hype:, just letting folks know technology is always moving forward.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Still makes me nervous. It is definitely depending on very tight tolerances. We will see. I have sent my resume for hopefully 2014 amateur support. They do there support in feb. Where almost every other company in the dirt bike industry does it in the fall. I have talked to Mikes about these and I do put weight in his opinion.He has done porting and heads for both my 200 and now my 300.

Premium Features