• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing, Clutching, helix, springs, MDS 2016 update

Well I know why my clutching wasn't working as well yesterday. MDS weights have a flat spot right behind the bottom hole on all the weights. my rollers are fine. 500 miles on the weights

mine seem to have the same flat spot, not sure if they were always that way. just sent steve a message about it, im in cooke now so no phone service:frusty:

Steve has no clue why the weights would have flat spots in them. He has tons on the snow and even his have 800 miles on them with no issues. Says they have the same shift point as the stock weights. He is sending me a new set out today and I'm gonna send him back mine. Talk about great customer service!

Take pic of both

So you have no idea what we are dealing with on the 16.
My 14 killed everything, belts ran cool, with great backshift! I don't need your opinion on clutching we already figured out.

My 14 blah blah blah, your posts indicate that you struggle with clutching everytime you go out and ride ... You just keep on dreaming that your helix will get your sled to run at peak rpm.

DPG

You generalize your posts with no details on specifics. We are pretty anal about our clutching. Most people only look down at their gauge a couple times a day in the open when they are already on top of the snow/pow at full speed. There is a lot left on the table with the stock 16 clutching. No matter how light of weights you put in it to pull rpm.

My 14 blah blah blah, your posts indicate that you struggle with clutching everytime you go out and ride ... You just keep on dreaming that your helix will get your sled to run at peak rpm.

DPG

You missed the point ! Again!

My clutching is superior to most other clutching, my bad days are still better than your good days.
If you paid attention you would see I'm obviously working on perfecting it to something that hadn't been done yet. Constantly pushing for more. You just come over to raise grief but don't realize there are a lot of happy ppl running setups I ran first, and several threads on the subject. Even some that used my comments to bounce off of to come up with their own setup they like.

You have clearly proven to everyone you have no game in the clutching department, you don't even own a sled with these clutches... but your going to give me advise, lol. .. I'm going to go laugh my way to sleep. Have a good night!

So I pulled my stock clutching apart and was amazed at the wear signs on the clutches.
1ca473517f56c3b823f89513a6057084.jpg

You can see the primary isn't shifting out like it should.
1abb0fbb6ca19da7612397f474eefeb7.jpg

And the secondary looks like it's shifted out a ways before it even starts and then never shifts out completely. The setting was way off. Before I pulled it apart the belt was completely down inside of the secondary. Not even the tops of the ribs were sticking out.

I'm really surprised the sled felt as strong as it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting. I just got a clutch kit from bikeman that they say works really well. Time will tell. Getting the clutching just right on my nytro made a world of difference so I hope I can get this one nailed down also.

On both of my 14s, When the 083/084 belts r new, they sit down in the secondary not above.
My gates C12 sits just above the sheaves.

GS6

That's interesting. I just got a clutch kit from bikeman that they say works really well. Time will tell. Getting the clutching just right on my nytro made a world of difference so I hope I can get this one nailed down also.

Everyone says that, only way to really tell is to change it on the hill, same day, same snow. Otherwise it just feels better or worse but no real knowing. It's a pain but I like to know.

Well I know a lot of people make claims but if my sled that wasn't hitting rpm is after the clutching and picks up track speed i would say that's a fair indication but I agree it's hard to really feel small changes unless it's truly back to back testing

Bikeman clutch kits.

Trust me the bikeman kit works. I spend lots of time dialing the clutching in and not on a race hill. We tried so many combination with back to back comparisons till we felt we came up with the best kit to get the best performance out of the team clutches. We put together 2 kits stock and big bore kits and very happy with both.

Good choice choosing Bikeman. Keep your eyes open for some cool stuff as far as performance as we are working hard to bring tested products to our customers.

Thanks.

Well I know a lot of people make claims but if my sled that wasn't hitting rpm is after the clutching and picks up track speed i would say that's a fair indication but I agree it's hard to really feel small changes unless it's truly back to back testing

Trust me the bikeman kit works. I spend lots of time dialing the clutching in and not on a race hill. We tried so many combination with back to back comparisons till we felt we came up with the best kit to get the best performance out of the team clutches. We put together 2 kits stock and big bore kits and very happy with both.

Good choice choosing Bikeman. Keep your eyes open for some cool stuff as far as performance as we are working hard to bring tested products to our customers.

Thanks.

At what elevation?

I know he came out here once, I think, but I don't think it was long enough to do comparative testing, just enough to say, worked great.
Over 10k is a different world and way pickier

Premium Features

Back