• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado Forum Ride 2012: Place and dates set

Pres day weekend (like I said, not my choice, but I just don't really care), where you wanna go?

VR is out, GM is out, SLO can lamer mi juevos.... so

CB, GL, hell, even corona (there's a number of other areas near there as well) if we're going to lodge separately

Just pick somewhere, set it, and some of us will show. I'm game for anything 3ish hrs from Denver or so (I'd say 3 hrs from my house... but that almost sounds kinda selfish huh? :D)

Snowies would have been cool, but guaranteed to be sold out anywhere reasonable since there's so little lodging nearby.

Can someone post a poll, of the REALISTIC places, NOT the lodges, but the riding area, and we'll just make it work?

Oh, and no more personal BS, back on track here boys.

I'd like to hit the Mesa and I don't have an issue with staying down in GJ and driving up each day. You can always find affordable rooms in town and there is much more to do at night.

I'd like to hit the Mesa and I don't have an issue with staying down in GJ and driving up each day. You can always find affordable rooms in town and there is much more to do at night.

Not trying to be anti-GJ but I drive out of here every weekend. What with getting to the Interstate, loading/unloading, and sometimes other traffic, it adds more than two hours to your day- that comes out of riding time or things to do at night, ('cept for you younger guys).

East GJ is 51 miles and an hour if you sit up and drive to the visitor center.

I thought TML's problem was the mass booking on President's Day weekend. If its not a mass booking, , you can probably find rooms on top at Thundermountain 970 856 6240 or Grand Mesa Lodge 970 856 3250. Admittedly, nightlife is only what you make it up there.

Next closest is Cedaredge-- there are a number of cabins, bed and Breakfasts, hotels/motels and even a HoJos. Nightlife? Can't speak to that.

Part way down the mountain toward GJ, but further than driving to Cedaredge, are Mesa Lake Resort (don't know what they are doing this year), Powderhorn Ski Area, and the motel in Mesa.

Any way, have fun!!!

When I asked TML months ago, I was told that he would rather we didn't because he hadn't finished a remodel.

if we're not doing TML, I guess GM isn't a great choice, long drive, and a long daily commute up there. THough, lodging should be easy in junktown compared to other places...

Welcome to come back to CB

The Forum ride is always welcome to come back to Crested Butte. Not sure when the local club is having their cookout, but that seemed to be a nice amenity. Something unique would be to ride out of Cement Creek over Reno Divide and into the Spring Creek drainage. The parking is a little tricky and its an ungroomed 4 miles of whoop followed by a big hill climb to the top of Reno- but after that some really awesome and damn near unlimited amount of rolling meadows and hills that rarely get touched. I'm a bit of a wanker but my friend and new Snowester, Bad Monkey, has a new proclimb 800 and would be a great guide. I'm sure Harold at the Almont Resort will remember you guys and give a good discount and their bar always makes for a good gathering spot. Oh and Ralph, as far as the wife, less toys and more mustache rides! :face-icon-small-ton

If the 4M ride returns to CB/Irwin, we can definitely snowcat a trailer full of food/grill/etc.. out to the Irwin Forks (The Y) for a mid-day meal & gathering. Almont is always accommodating, and there are several new restaurants downtown.

MD.

If the 4M ride returns to CB/Irwin, we can definitely snowcat a trailer full of food/grill/etc.. out to the Irwin Forks (The Y) for a mid-day meal & gathering. Almont is always accommodating, and there are several new restaurants downtown.

MD.

CB has a number of rides options, an centrally located. Almont was great and accommodating. We can rent an extra room for PJ's therapy sessions with Dr Phil. Or if Dr Phil does not sled, he can trailer behind his sled and give advice while on the trail. I can see and hear it now, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE....Braap Braap. :face-icon-small-ton

Uncalled for. ^^^

There will be no Forum Ride this year unless somebody takes the ball and runs with it. There are many reasons as to why.

1. There were people that were upset with the date that it has been traditionally held on since the Forum Ride began.

2. There were people upset that the Forum Ride was planned as the same weekend as the BCR Forum Ride.

3. There were people that flat out refused to attend if it was in one place or another or on a certain date.

4. The place that was the winner after a 30 day long poll, ended up being written off because I couldn't get a specific date set where all cabins were available. People were not thrilled with having to share a cabin with 10 or more people.

5. Lots of "advice" was given but nobody willing to step up and help. Oragnizing and gathering items for the funraising raffle takes alot of time and headaches.

I'm in no way worked up about it. I'll just ride where I ride with my trusted group of riders and be happy with that. It sucks that an annual tradition has died but what do you do?

There is absolutely no reason for personal attacks or insults. For 4 years I have been part of organizing and helping getting it done. The first year we had a team of Bushy, Snowman69 and myself and it went smooth. The next year XC, had the reins and I helped where I could. Mainly with donations. The last one it started out with me and another gal but her husband got diagnosed with cancer so she had bigger fish to fry. The lodge where it was to be held scheduled another event at the same time, even though we had booked the facility first. When I started arguing about that and trying to get SLO to make things right, I got chastised for it.

If it were you or anybody else trying like hell to get something done and all you faced was adversity, name calling and general ungratefulness, I'd expect you to be upset too. I know XC was and he told me he'll never do it again.

Last edited:
Uncalled for. ^^^

There will be no Forum Ride this year unless somebody takes the ball and runs with it. There are many reasons as to why.

1. There were people that were upset with the date that it has been traditionally held on since the Forum Ride began.

2. There were people upset that the Forum Ride was planned as the same weekend as the BCR Forum Ride.

3. There were people that flat out refused to attend if it was in one place or another or on a certain date.

4. The place that was the winner after a 30 day long poll, ended up being written off because I couldn't get a specific date set where all cabins were available. People were not thrilled with having to share a cabin with 10 or more people.

5. Lots of "advice" was given but nobody willing to step up and help. Oragnizing and gathering items for the funraising raffle takes alot of time and headaches.

I'm in no way worked up about it. I'll just ride where I ride with my trusted group of riders and be happy with that. It sucks that an annual tradition has died but what do you do?

There is absolutely no reason for personal attacks or insults. For 4 years I have been part of organizing and helping getting it done. The first year we had a team of Bushy, Snowman69 and myself and it went smooth. The next year XC, had the reins and I helped where I could. Mainly with donations. The last one it started out with me and another gal but her husband got diagnosed with cancer so she had bigger fish to fry. The lodge where it was to be held scheduled another event at the same time, even though we had booked the facility first. When I started arguing about that and trying to get SLO to make things right, I got chastised for it.

If it were you or anybody else trying like hell to get something done and all you faced was adversity, name calling and general ungratefulness, I'd expect you to be upset too. I know XC was and he told me he'll never do it again.

Sorry PJ, just a little light humor. The work you put into this is appreciated. Hard task to say the least. :face-icon-small-coo

Um... wow. Let's take this back to the roots!

Could be pretty simple:

1. DATE:

Feb 18-20, 2012 (Pres. Day)

2. LODGING

Book rooms at Almont Resort and 3Rivers Resort and ask for the 2012 4M Rate. (SW, BCR, S&M, whomever wants to ride)

www.AlmontResort.com (970)641-4009
www.3RiversResort.com (970)641-1303

Overflow in Gunnison at: http://www.waterwheelinnatgunnison.com/ (970)641-1650

3. RIDE SCHEDULE:

Saturday - Irwin / Kebler Pass (738" last season!)
Sunday - Taylor Park / Cottonwood on
Monday - Cement Creek / Spring Creek (or Irwin again)

Gunnison County SnoTrackers will snowcat out grills & food & donation/registration bucket to the Irwin "Y" on Saturday.

4. FOOD!

EAT STEAKS at 3Rivers/Almont Lodge on Staurday Night & gather at the bar.
Montanya Rum distillery is open in Crested Butte for Sunday after riding - or we could get the back of Maxwell's set up.

5. DRIVE:

Monday evening drive home. (while the locals continue to ride!)

6. HARASS:

Monday night - post embarrassing photos of stuck sleds & Saturday night's drunks.

Our Restaurants, lodges, gas stations, and local club would love to host a boat load of snowmobilers!

Is this worth pursuing?

MtnDoo

irwin-climb-sm1.jpg

Last edited:
The cabins at Taylor Park are not bad, as long as you eat the chilli at the general store for lunch.

Premium Features

Back