• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Climate change

J
Jan 15, 2010
Perhaps, but only one of the top five is Hawaii, and three are Texas, so the point illustrating that this is not unprecedented stands on it's own merit.

Exceeding previous events which are all quite similar (45", 45" and 48") by what has likely ended up to be 10-15% once the final totals are in does make this fairly unprecedented. I bet your old electrical engineer buddy even knows enough about statistics to confirm that...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I don't know pal, I think 45" would suck just about as bad as 52"

Wet is wet, and that's freaking wet no matter which way you want to slice it.

A
Dec 3, 2012
Oh boy. This should get good. I think solar flares have more to do with warming than burning oil and cow farts. Heck in the seventies the scientists were warning we were going into another mini ice age.
Also, volcanos, Mt St Helens speud 3 times more carbon than every car on the planet put together. P.S. why do I have to cut ten to twenty percent do a lib can have more kids at a hundred percent rate!

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Also, volcanos, Mt St Helens speud 3 times more carbon than every car on the planet put together. P.S. why do I have to cut ten to twenty percent do a lib can have more kids at a hundred percent rate!

Humans emitted roughly 40 billion metric tons of CO2 in 2015, roughly 15% of which is from the transportation sector, or 6 billion metric tons.

Volcanoes emit roughly 0.3 billion metric tons per year.

I'll leave it to you to tell me which number is bigger.

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global-greenhouse-gas-emissions-data#Sector

https://www.climate.gov/news-featur...-carbon-dioxide-volcanoes-or-human-activities

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
Low Hanging Fruit - Plucked & Chucked by Oil companies

Case in point, I'm a huge disciple of "low hanging fruit" theory. Meaning I'm all for the obvious, least expensive efforts which often times net the greatest results.
As each step proceeds, the process becomes more expensive and nets less in results until a point is reached where the results simply don't merit the investment. Where that point is is usually what the debate will rotate around.

There's an awful lot of "low hanging fruit" that has been allowed to fall off & rot on the ground - Case in point - Early 90's in Popular Science Magazine "Best of What's New" - GM Had developed a car & engine that got 100 MPG! (or KPG -Kellicams if you're Klingon). Where did it go? Why was it never for sale? OIL COMPANIES BOUGHT IT & BURIED IT.

I'd love to have a nice, Cheap Electric car that I could plug in to a nice, cheap, Solar Panel charging station. The sun ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon. (The eclipse is over with for now anyway). But electric cars aren't cheap, & solar panels & folks to install them are expensive. If it was made a little more low hanging, Demand would sky rocket because it would be in people's best interest - Their Pocketbook!

And we don't have to give up our toys either:
Nikola Prepares The World’s Most Powerful Production-Ready UTV For Delivery

Though I do wonder about how long the charge would last - What happens if you run outta juice in the middle of the mountains? But good gracious? Why can't we get Polaris & BRP on board with trying something new?

https://www.saecleansnowmobile.com/

Necessity is the mother of invention. Lets create some necessity & see what happens. :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-coo

Then we can stick it to the folks who want to blame powersports & Americans for everything bad.

http://read.uberflip.com/i/848266-august-2017
Read the article on page 8.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Talk about statistics and how Harvey isn't caused by climate change, but the likelihood of events like Harvey is increased by climate change. https://youtu.be/fseG2IwpBqM

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

But how can we possibly debate whether or not climate change affects hurricanes when we cannot determine if there is such a thing as climate change?

(Back to the beginning:face-icon-small-dis), we know that the climate changes, but could be affected by man, could be cyclical.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
But how can we possibly debate whether or not climate change affects hurricanes when we cannot determine if there is such a thing as climate change?

(Back to the beginning:face-icon-small-dis), we know that the climate changes, but could be affected by man, could be cyclical.
This is the thing - there is ~97% consensus from the climate science community saying that human-caused climate change is a thing. But "Only 16% of Americans realize that the consensus is above 90%"

So it's hard to admit but....it's not them, it's you. FWIW, I would have agreed with you a dozen years ago

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
This was a letter in one of the local papers.
Interesting read...

"Millions of readers might believe there is serious climate change, but I haven’t seen a nickel’s worth of facts supporting it, so I’m still a doubter. I believe there’s information that temperatures are cyclic. I’m not an environmental scientist, but I have a good electrical engineering background with lots of statistic experience, so I’m not shooting from the hip.
Consider these facts why I’m skeptical of environmental agencies or politicians looking for more votes.
In 1935-36 there were several days in S.D. with temperatures over 100 degrees – but none in 2016-17. Why?

In 1946 or 1947 I camped with friends on Lake Madison. We decided to walk around the lake with temperatures over 100 degrees every day. We never made it. Why such a long period of days over 100 degrees?
About 12 years ago, Al Gore went before Congress and said the Earth had a bad fever and in 10 years New York would be under water. Ten years later, the northern water passage was frozen over and ships were marooned in the ice. New York was still there. Some idiots counted floating ice as a contributor to rising ocean levels. If ice is floating, its melting will not contribute to rising levels; its displacement is already taken.
How many temperature monitors years ago are now surrounded by blacktop parking lots? Two years ago, the lowest temperature ever recorded was at the South Pole. Why?

If EPA can provide locations in the U.S. where temperatures have been monitored over the past 100 years, we could get some real data. Let’s say 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. every day over 100 years. We could provide statistics to prove or disprove climate change.*
Good statistics would help us understand temperature changes. In the meantime, garbage data has not swayed my opinion."
This clown believes what he wants to believe. He has a very narrow vision. And he is wrong according to wikipedia about the coldest day (on the ground) of the year being two years ago, unless of course today is July 21, 1985.

Lets take this discussion in a different direction. Lets say in Texas that the exact hurricane hit the exact location 500 years ago. Would you say the flooding would be exactly at the same elevation as today?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Lets take this discussion in a different direction. Lets say in Texas that the exact hurricane hit the exact location 500 years ago. Would you say the flooding would be exactly at the same elevation as today?

I have no reason to expect substantially different results.

R
Feb 29, 2016
I have to believe that 100's of square miles of concrete and asphalt will slow the absorption rate of water into the earth. It has to have some where to go.

Seriously?

Water simply runs downhill into the ocean retard. Coastal areas are already built on saturated ground, which is just natural that close to the ocean. It doesn't all absorb into the ground, very little of it does. You are familiar with the concept of rivers and streams no?

Man made ground covers are most likely HELPING the waters subside, not hurting.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Seriously?

Water simply runs downhill into the ocean retard. Coastal areas are already built on saturated ground, which is just natural that close to the ocean. It doesn't all absorb into the ground, very little of it does. You are familiar with the concept of rivers and streams no?

Man made ground covers are most likely HELPING the waters subside, not hurting.
I almost always refrain from comments from people like yourself because it lowers me to your level. I did not mention that all water is absorbed into the ground. If very little water does get absorbed into the ground as you say, maybe you can explain to me why my 54' well I recently drilled has a 20 gallon per minute recovery rate? How do you suppose that water got there? Before disinfecting the well, we ran the 1/2 HP submersible pump with a 1" water line 24/7 and the water never stopped. Have you ever heard of an aqueduct? Living in a state that has more surface water than any other state outside of Alaska I am very familiar with lakes, rivers, and streams. A few years ago we had 10" of rain in 24 hours. The nearby town I grew up in had serious flood damage in town. Where I live out in the country I had zero standing water the next day and zero flood damage.

The following I found on the net.

In natural systems, floods play an important role in ecosystem functioning, such as by recharging groundwater systems, filling wetlands, and the promotion of breeding, migration, and dispersal of numerous species. In natural ecosystems, there is a lot of resiliency to the majority of flood events.

In contrast, in areas that have been developed by humans where the natural resiliency of ecosystems has been lost, floods can be very destructive.

Impermeable surfaces

In developed areas, such as in urban areas, there is commonly a large amount of impermeable surfaces such as roads and other concrete structures that do not allow water to permeate back into the soil. When large amounts of rain falls on these impermeable surfaces, the water can accumulate and lead to flooding in low-lying areas if it is not directed properly.

R
Feb 29, 2016
I almost always refrain from comments from people like yourself because it lowers me to your level. I did not mention that all water is absorbed into the ground. If very little water does get absorbed into the ground as you say, maybe you can explain to me why my 54' well I recently drilled has a 20 gallon per minute recovery rate? How do you suppose that water got there? Before disinfecting the well, we ran the 1/2 HP submersible pump with a 1" water line 24/7 and the water never stopped. Have you ever heard of an aqueduct? Living in a state that has more surface water than any other state outside of Alaska I am very familiar with lakes, rivers, and streams. A few years ago we had 10" of rain in 24 hours. The nearby town I grew up in had serious flood damage in town. Where I live out in the country I had zero standing water the next day and zero flood damage.

The following I found on the net.

In natural systems, floods play an important role in ecosystem functioning, such as by recharging groundwater systems, filling wetlands, and the promotion of breeding, migration, and dispersal of numerous species. In natural ecosystems, there is a lot of resiliency to the majority of flood events.

In contrast, in areas that have been developed by humans where the natural resiliency of ecosystems has been lost, floods can be very destructive.

Impermeable surfaces

In developed areas, such as in urban areas, there is commonly a large amount of impermeable surfaces such as roads and other concrete structures that do not allow water to permeate back into the soil. When large amounts of rain falls on these impermeable surfaces, the water can accumulate and lead to flooding in low-lying areas if it is not directed properly.

You are still so far from my level it isn't even funny. Now you are so dumb you are trying to compare Minnesota to Houston. If you had been paying attention, Houston is a coastal area. Pretty sure I mentioned that but clearly your reading and comprehension skills are a bit compromised by the liberal fog in your brain. There is a really big difference between the two. You description aptly describes were you live and many other paces but doesn't apply in a coastal region like that. Funny how I have friends still wading through 6 feet of water in rural Texas, not the paved downtown parts but well out of town, days after the rain has stopped. It needs to run off as the ground is already saturated, unlike where you are talking about thousands of miles from the ocean.

I understand that it may be difficult to figure all of this out at your level...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Actually, Pro isn't what I would consider "far left", in fact he and I.have agreed on many things.
Most importantly, whether we agree or not, he's a good man and has my respect.

J
Jan 15, 2010
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CCwwAg&usg=AFQjCNGw1ASgF2rDjNE6DQyW1ylM2j3ayw

In a nutshell, the severity of hurricanes, be it wind speed or precipitation amount is not affected by a distinguished level by so called climate change.

That's a non partisan news source for suuuuure...

Funny how you ignore the fact that Donny just two weeks before this event rolled back a rule that would have allowed them to rebuild things higher and in such a way to mitigate future damage. Now they just get to rebuild as it was so that this can happen all over again. That sure is smart fiscally conservative thinking...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
That's a non partisan news source for suuuuure...

Funny how you ignore the fact that Donny just two weeks before this event rolled back a rule that would have allowed them to rebuild things higher and in such a way to mitigate future damage. Now they just get to rebuild as it was so that this can happen all over again. That sure is smart fiscally conservative thinking...

Why don't you just cut to the chase and blame our great President Trump for your erectile disfunction too?

J
Jan 15, 2010
Why don't you just cut to the chase and blame our great President Trump for your erectile disfunction too?

Another deflection from the issue with a petty grade 9 insult... you should get a job at the White House, you have all the qualifications-blind loyalty, ability to deflect with insults and lies no understanding of the world outside your little bubble. You'd fit right in.

Insults aside, do you really think it's smart to change the rule so that a government payout to repair flood damage should just be to rebuild it as it was? I mean, you seem to support govt handouts sooooo much, I'd think at least you'd not want em completely wasted...

Premium Features