• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Climate change

J
Jan 15, 2010
Factually incorrect.
Probably heard it on CNN or MSNBC where facts are optional.

Yea, ok... coal is a finite resource, it doesn't grow back. I don't need anyone to tell me that it'll run out one day, same as I know that I'll eventually drink all the beer in my fridge. It may take a long time but it will run out and it will just get harder and more destructive to extract before then.

A brietbart and fox follower claiming fake news, hilarious.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Coal is gonna run out too one day,

OK, I'll rephrase my statement to appease you.
Quoting your information source.....

"Based on U.S. coal production in 2015 of about 0.9 billion short tons, the U.S. estimated recoverable coal reserves would last about 283 years. The actual number of years that those reserves will last depends on changes in production and reserves estimates."

In those 283 years, mining methods will improve enough to double that number.
So yes, in 550 years we MAY need to consider alternatives.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Yea, ok... coal is a finite resource, it doesn't grow back. I don't need anyone to tell me that it'll run out one day, same as I know that I'll eventually drink all the beer in my fridge. It may take a long time but it will run out and it will just get harder and more destructive to extract before then.

A brietbart and fox follower claiming fake news, hilarious.

Funny how you went from talking of how coal is obsolete to being all panicking that it is about to run out!
You're an entertaining one, I'll give you that!

J
Jan 15, 2010
Funny how you went from talking of how coal is obsolete to being all panicking that it is about to run out!
You're an entertaining one, I'll give you that!

I'm not panicking about anything, just stating that your comment about coal running out being factually incorrect is actually factually incorrect, and providing facts to back it up.

Coal is obsolete, has been for a long time for a multitude of reasons. It's unfortunate that you guys are so set on going back in time. Does it still have practical uses (making steel)? Yes. Is a primary source of electrical generation one of them? No.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm not panicking about anything, just stating that your comment about coal running out being factually incorrect is actually factually incorrect, and providing facts to back it up.

Coal is obsolete, has been for a long time for a multitude of reasons. It's unfortunate that you guys are so set on going back in time. Does it still have practical uses (making steel)? Yes. Is a primary source of electrical generation one of them? No.

Yep, obsolete alright.
Nobody is making electricity from coal any more.

DSC_0169.jpg

J
Jan 15, 2010
Yep, obsolete alright.
Nobody is making electricity from coal any more.

Did I not state that coal is currently making 30% of the electricity in the us more than once?

It's also dropped from 50% market share to 30% in 10 years. It's dirty, more expensive than other options and open pit mining is a sh$tshow, so yea, in the big picture it is well on its way out.

If anything your great leader didn't tell you that you should back dropped that much of its market share in 10 years you'd call it obsolete to.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Bear in mind that during those ten years the lefties were passing legislation strangling the coal industry. Reversing that trend may promt a resurgence in coal consumption.

Coal is no longer dirty, hasn't been for several years. But that truth doesn't fit the desired narrative of the left.

There is enough coal fired power produced in Beaulah ND to light The whole state, yet the skies above are clear.

Our small rural town has a coal fired foundry, yet our air is clean.

You're believing alot of misinformation, and that's too bad.

J
Jan 15, 2010

You're believing alot of misinformation, and that's too bad.

Says the guy who believes everything Donny says, that's funny.

I'll believe the overwhelming majority of the scientific community, you go ahead and believe the coal and oil industry. Which one has more motive to push misinformation? Oh yea, we have been over that already...

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I'll believe the overwhelming majority of the scientific community,.................

Yeah; the same ones who based their research on purposely manipulated data to achieve a false hysteria, in an effort to push their agenda. Well done yet again, you're just one of many buffalo following the leader of the herd with no conscience thought process of your own.

Just because one can afford to go to college does not make them intelligent nor an expert. In my experience the polar opposite is far more the norm. The majority of highly educated people are complete and utter idiots. Zero common sense and an inherent inability to actually do anything for themselves.

But feel free to blindly follow that group.

I'll go my own way, thanks!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Says the guy who believes everything Donny says, that's funny.

I'll believe the overwhelming majority of the scientific community, you go ahead and believe the coal and oil industry. Which one has more motive to push misinformation? Oh yea, we have been over that already...

I don't need a soft lefty indoctrinated libby with a pocket protector to tell me anything.
The foundry I mentioned above is a little over a quarter mile from my house.
Zero complaints from myself or my neighbors. In fact there's more odor from the molton iron than the lignite.

"Clean coal" isn't just a phrase to help you libmonkeys sleep better, modern scrubbers really are that clean..

You mention that open mines visually ruin the landscape. I bet half the members of this forum regularly drive past the open mine at gillette.
It would be interesting to hear their opinions.
Our group views it as fascinating.
I bet very few are like yourself and get hurt feelings from the sight. But again, it would be interesting to hear from both sides.

J
Jan 15, 2010
I don't need a soft lefty indoctrinated libby with a pocket protector to tell me anything.
The foundry I mentioned above is a little over a quarter mile from my house.
Zero complaints from myself or my neighbors. In fact there's more odor from the molton iron than the lignite.

"Clean coal" isn't just a phrase to help you libmonkeys sleep better, modern scrubbers really are that clean..

You mention that open mines visually ruin the landscape. I bet half the members of this forum regularly drive past the open mine at gillette.
It would be interesting to hear their opinions.
Our group views it as fascinating.
I bet very few are like yourself and get hurt feelings from the sight. But again, it would be interesting to hear from both sides.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3385425/#!po=11.0000

And it's not about the landscape, it's about having clean water and air. Living next to a foundry is vastly different than living next to an open pit mine or a giant coal burning power plant.

J
Jan 15, 2010
Yeah; the same ones who based their research on purposely manipulated data to achieve a false hysteria, in an effort to push their agenda. Well done yet again, you're just one of many buffalo following the leader of the herd with no conscience thought process of your own.

Just because one can afford to go to college does not make them intelligent nor an expert. In my experience the polar opposite is far more the norm. The majority of highly educated people are complete and utter idiots. Zero common sense and an inherent inability to actually do anything for themselves.

But feel free to blindly follow that group.

I'll go my own way, thanks!

Since you are such an expert please explain in your own words staying within the laws of physics how the concentration of CO2 has risen so rapidly in the last 150 years and also please explain the direct correlation between elevated CO2 levels and temperature. Surely that can't be too tough for ya, all those scientists are the dumbest people in the room...

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
Wow.. Lets progress a little

So coal... Uh yeah. My wifes grandma had a coal furnace. How many of those do you see around these days? Technology & innovation do not need to stand still. Do we need to shut down all the coal plants? I don't know, probably not, but I think there are healthier alternatives, regardless of whether you believe in global warming / climate change, etc. Coal mining kills miners slowly. Sometimes quickly. Natural gas has got its issues too. I haven't heard of many solar power explosions.

You get right down to it, ultimately all energy is solar power. Coal came from plants from millions of years ago, that got their energy from the SUN. Oil came from Dinosaurs who got their energy from plants, that got their energy from the SUN.

There are SO many ways to make electricity, be it biomass, kinetic energy, wind, waves, hydroelectric, geothermal, solar, and I still tend to think nuclear is highly underrated. I live an hour away from the first town ever to be powered exclusively by atomic energy. Sadly, accidents have happened & the media & other special interest groups (probably coal among them) have mostly derailed any nuclear progress. I personally have no problem living a couple hours away from a Nuclear power plant.

I still like a nice fireplace. Don't ditch something if it ain't broke, but progress can make things a whole lot easier. Coal is old tech. What else is there?

While we're at it, will someone please hurry up and invent warp drive. April 5, 2063 is coming faster than we know. Anybody naming their kid Zephram?:face-icon-small-hap
dafaf35e493ae52340bea80201e36be64b174e43.jpg

Last edited:

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
What the hell I will play along. I personally have no problem with coal. That being said regardless of what Trump wants, coal will not come back, at least to the level it used to be. Many go those plants have been converted to natural gas. The infrastructure has finally improved enough to get gas to the plants that used to burn coal. The will never change back. Gas is more abundant, and cleaner than coal. 8 years of Obama I believe ended the run for coal.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
So coal... Uh yeah. My wifes grandma had a coal furnace. How many of those do you see around these days?
Lots in coal country, cheap and efficient way to heat your home.

Coal mining kills miners slowly. Sometimes quickly.
Neat invention called a "respirator" that is supplied to all miners, and don't forgot all the engineering controls like "dust suppression systems," all closely monitored by OSHA & MSHA.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
Premium Features