• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BUYER BEWARE Deal not looking good

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Well no offence Don but do you really think that is fair that you now have a free sled? I mean if the guy wants it back would you give it to him on his dime? What's goes down from here? Does this guy have certain amount of days to come get the sled back if he wants? Fill us in here...

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well no offence Don but do you really think that is fair that you now have a free sled? I mean if the guy wants it back would you give it to him on his dime? What's goes down from here? Does this guy have certain amount of days to come get the sled back if he wants? Fill us in here...

I talked to the seller prior to going to Ebay and filing a dispute after I took off 3 days and spent $800 picking up the sled.

On the phone he agreed (so it seemed to me) to take less for the sled but then denied the conversation even took place when I sent the offer in writing thru EBAY.

Then I filed the dispute thru EBAY AFTER THE SELLER REFUSED TO HELP WITH THE LIEN ON THE TITLE AND NOT DISCLOSING THE CONDITION OF THE SLED

Ebay asked him to take back the sled ... seller refused.

Seller claimed any damage to the sled happened after the purchase so ...

Ebay's insurance company contacted me to tell me how the claim will proceed ... so I drove about 700 miles with the sled to get estimates for repair. Yep more money about $400 dollars and 2 more days of my time.

Ebay determined the sled was totaled and EBAY'S INSURANCE COMPANY PAID OUT THE AUCTION PRICE TO ME WITH CONDITIONS.

The conditions are take the amount paid and not go after any party legally concerning this transaction.

Ebay said the sled is not worth their effort and money to pick it up, ship it to an auction house and try to sell it.

The seller STILL HAS ALL THE MONEY I SENT THRU PAYPAL AND CASHIERS CHECK cashed by the seller.

I know nothing about what Ebay and the seller has agreed to. All I was told by Ebay is take the money, keep the sled , leave everyone alone (legally) and let Ebay deal with the seller.

So now these are the condensed facts and I'll answer your questions.

This sled was not free ... it cost me at least $1200 cash plus 5 days of my life.

The seller has no rights to the sled since I paid him in full ... EBAY told me to keep the sled.

Ebay told me the seller illegally sold the sled because of the lien and 3rd party title transfer. PLUS any damage to a vehicle MUST be declared in writing in the auction description , pictures are not enough to describe damage.

The paper I signed for the reimbursement by the insurance company gave EBAY the right to go after the seller legally and financially for the transaction.

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
So I guess the only other question I have is, are you going to be able to get the title straightened out? And if so the title should be branded since EBAY deemed the sled totaled then. So are you even going to be able to register it in your state? If not I suppose you still have a parts sled. None the less hope there was a lesson learned by a few of us on this matter.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Very interesting Don. I'm glad to see you taken care of unfortunately, it would have nice to see the dirtbag who sold it with a lienholder on the title be a man about it and take care of it.

I guess since it hasn't been asked or answered, who has the lien on the title and how much is the lien? Are you required (by Ebay) to take the sled to the auction house?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
So I guess the only other question I have is, are you going to be able to get the title straightened out? And if so the title should be branded since EBAY deemed the sled totaled then. So are you even going to be able to register it in your state? If not I suppose you still have a parts sled. None the less hope there was a lesson learned by a few of us on this matter.

To get the title straightened out will cost around $600. Most of the $600 would go to a dealer and pay to have it free of all liens because of being in California. California only allows someone with a auto resale license to get a new title when you dont have the proper paperwork. The sled will be at $1700 in cost before even putting one wrench on it.

Then it needs repairs/parts and maintenance to make it run right ... it would be cost prohibitive to make it look nice.

So right now I am looking for another 600 IQ with an SLP kit so I dont have to overhaul this sled. Prefer to buy a sled ready to go and be done with this situation. Carl's Cycle has one ready to go for $4000

There is not a spot on this sled that does not show signs of EXTREME wear / carnage so I am not sure if it would be a good parts sled. Boogies are bad, chain tensioner is maxed out, track ripped up, suspension bent/rusted/ airbox cracked, exhaust rusted thru and bent, footwells bent and metal foot grips are smashed in, seats ripped, ... even the tops of the skis are damaged, most everything is bent up, cracked, dented or rusted.

Except for insurance purposes I don't know the benefit of a salvage title.

I really appreciate EBAY refunding the auction price thru the VPP insurance program.

As far as the seller goes ... not sure of his opinion of the outcome and for me it must be declared BUYER BEWARE

Since I live in Reagan country I must state TRUST BUT VERIFY.

Last edited:
J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
well aside from your time you made out OK in the end. i know time costs money, but it is great that ebay refunded you. id bet you could part out the sled and make out ok. or you could buy another chassis and drop that engine in it? have you had the engine checked over?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Very interesting Don. I'm glad to see you taken care of unfortunately, it would have nice to see the dirtbag who sold it with a lienholder on the title be a man about it and take care of it.

I guess since it hasn't been asked or answered, who has the lien on the title and how much is the lien? Are you required (by Ebay) to take the sled to the auction house?

Bank has the lien but is now released BUT Calif DMV saw the title with lien no release and sales receipt with someone other than the registered owner so they put it in the system requiring a bonded person to title it in Calif which means I gotta find someone with a auto resale license to get a title. DMV requires this so if something is wrong the dealer is insured to deal with any issues with the title.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
well aside from your time you made out OK in the end. i know time costs money, but it is great that ebay refunded you. id bet you could part out the sled and make out ok. or you could buy another chassis and drop that engine in it? have you had the engine checked over?

all I expected was a partial refund. thank you Jesus it turned out the way it did. I even subscribed to a lifetime membership on SNOWEST. been talking to SLP to get the motor workin and asking people about a chassis.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Take the money, buy a real sled in decent condition. Start parting that thing out and you will make your $1200 back in no time.

Never buy a vehicle without laying your own naked eyes on it. This crap happens every damn year and it always a headache.

Take some time and drive to a Sled swap meet in WA, ID or UT. If you ever buy a sled off the internet with out looking at it again, shame on you.

H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
Okay I just had a lengthy call from the guy who sold me the sled.

He says this was his very first sled (from Florida) and bought it March of this year (2012) and the sled is in the same condition as the day he bought it. He said he was told it was never wrecked and it is been maintained by the local sled shop and is in excellent condition.

Long story short he is back in Florida and can't take the sled back.

What is the fair price for this sled ... granted I can get a clear title?

Back in FL? Or so he says.. trying to wash his hands of it more likely.

Couple of questions here: You said the balance of money was over nighted. Please elaborate on what that means. If it went thru Paypal, whether on a credit card or direct draw from a bank, you still have recourse. If you used something like Western Union, you're screwed.

If you're dealing with ebay, hopefully you've filed a SNAD [significantly not as described] claim. The claim would have immediately frozen the funds in his account. So you may have a shot at the $500 deposit back.

If you used a credit card thru paypal for the deposit, you also have the credit company to use as well and file a fraud claim with them.
And paypal also has a 60day policy on purchases.

So with some luck and persistence on your part, you might be able squeeze the deposit back out of him. It's at least a start.

The other thing, if you can prove this isnt a clean title, and it sounds dubious from what I read, it will give you more leverage.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Back in FL? Or so he says.. trying to wash his hands of it more likely.

Couple of questions here: You said the balance of money was over nighted. Please elaborate on what that means. If it went thru Paypal, whether on a credit card or direct draw from a bank, you still have recourse. If you used something like Western Union, you're screwed.

If you're dealing with ebay, hopefully you've filed a SNAD [significantly not as described] claim. The claim would have immediately frozen the funds in his account. So you may have a shot at the $500 deposit back.

If you used a credit card thru paypal for the deposit, you also have the credit company to use as well and file a fraud claim with them.
And paypal also has a 60day policy on purchases.

So with some luck and persistence on your part, you might be able squeeze the deposit back out of him. It's at least a start.

The other thing, if you can prove this isnt a clean title, and it sounds dubious from what I read, it will give you more leverage.

I think you may want to go back a finish reading the entire thread, everything is explain in here and has been resolved.

H

haydaysswaptroll

Sep 21, 2010
www.haydays.com
I think you may want to go back a finish reading the entire thread, everything is explain in here and has been resolved.

yes just noticed that. Not sure how I missed those posts. glad to see it turned out reasonably well. I'm sure ebay lawyers will be contacting the original seller, though I do find it odd he is still considered a registered member.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
yes just noticed that. Not sure how I missed those posts. glad to see it turned out reasonably well. I'm sure ebay lawyers will be contacting the original seller, though I do find it odd he is still considered a registered member.

Don't let it bother you ... I missed a few things on an ebay auction !

I don't know why he is still a registered member. You are only reading my side of the story ... his story is probably different. I write this cause he told me on the phone there is absolutely nothing wrong with this sled , ready to ride , winterized, just pull and go ... at least that was said during an early conversation.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Don you REALLY got lucky there. I am surprised that Ebay took care of you so well. There is no title problem that can't be worked out though. Do you know who is shown as the lien holder and why? There are some AWESOME deals on used mod sleds. Take your time, keep your money in your pocket and really look around. You should be able to do much better than what you did as long as you do the deal face to face this time. Good luck and be smart!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Don you REALLY got lucky there. I am surprised that Ebay took care of you so well. There is no title problem that can't be worked out though. Do you know who is shown as the lien holder and why? There are some AWESOME deals on used mod sleds. Take your time, keep your money in your pocket and really look around. You should be able to do much better than what you did as long as you do the deal face to face this time. Good luck and be smart!

Ebay provided the lien release so the sled can be titled/registered in California.

I am looking to buy a sled. Know any great deals?

Premium Features