• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BUYER BEWARE Deal not looking good

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Holy crap, this is a chit show.

Did you pick this up in Seeley?
If he had his buddies there when you came to pick it up, then he already anticipated you wouldn't be happy.

I picked it up in West Yellowstone.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
A couple of missed points. Montana does not have sales tax. You would not have paid it to him nor would he have paid it to the other guy. Sleds are permanently registered here and it costs like $60.50. Do not let Cali charge you the tax, even though they may charge you their tax.

Next call MT Dept of Justice, Motor Vehicles Division, Title and Registration Bureau in Deer Lodge, (406) 846-6000. Explain the situation and ask them if they have a lien release on file for the sled. If they do, you may be able to get a copy of it, but essentially you should be good to go there. If they do not, you need to be contacting the person on the title. Feel free to PM me the info and I can try to help you out since I am here in Montana.

You can also contact Kurt's Polaris in Seely Lake and ask about the sled. They keep good records and if they did the work, they would know the sled and give you a history on it. If you get the run around, contact Scott or I and we can get more info there as we are both friends with Curt.

Continue the issue with Ebay. Before doing anymore cleaning, take tons of good pics. Keep all emails and pics from him. If you find that the sled does not have the engine work that he said, you really have a cause.

I realize that your faith and trust has been broken, but not everyone is like that; in fact most of us here in Montana will go out of our way for complete stangers. We believe in doing the right thing and it is very disheartening when we hear of someone getting screwed like that.

I hope this email helps and that you get resolution and that the guy that screwed you only really screwed himself in the end.

I will continue the issue with Ebay.

Thank you for the info on MT Dept of Justice, Motor Vehicles Division, Title and Registration Bureau in Deer Lodge, (406) 846-6000
I will contact them.

I contacted Kurt's Polaris in Seeley Lake and asked about the sled. The guy there said he was related by marriage to the original owner whose name is on the title.

Contacting the first owner let me know more about the sled. The orignal owners recollection of the sleds history does not match what the seller said and posted on the auction.

Based on Ebay's policy they should understand the dispute from my point of view.
Based on Ebay's policy a title with a lien is cause, misrepresented mileage, and the level of reliability/craftmanship/condition of the product as described in the auction will result in the auction being cancelled.

As far as sales tax I think the stores in West Yellowstone charged me sales tax.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Here is a reply from the seller after I filed the dispute with EBAY on 26 Jun.

Don,The title is signed over to me. The title along with the bill of sale I gave you is all you need. (name removed) said he is sending you the Lien Clear document. That should take care of the questions concerning the title. There was never a wreckage that I know of. The sled is usable and rideable. The sled is in used, as is condition. All the parts you're talking about needing replaced are not necessary to ride it. When you use a sled you get normal wear and tear. I don't know about these bent parts you're are listing, but the sled was fine when you picked it up. You checked it over yourself before you loaded it up in your truck. I told you how many miles were on the engine. The actual miles of the sled is in the description. Please watch the video, and see were I show it on the tachometer

I couldnt read the numbers in the video and asked him thru ebay messages. Here is my message after the video was posted on 12 June:

What is the insulated wire(?) over exhaust y-pipe? Where did SLP put the exhaust temp sensor? The SLP 727 has around 700 miles. Does the entire sled have the same mileage? Has anything been replaced?

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Well there's a few questions for you now, did you check it out when you were there and say it was all good? If you did and only agreeded to buying it cause his buddies were there then shame on you. If you would have showed all them the damage that you are describing to us theres no way that they would all say that it was a good machine. Secondly, did you watch the video? Was the mileage shown on there, and you just missed it or something? I'm not pointing fingers at no one just trying to hear both sides of the deal.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well there's a few questions for you now, did you check it out when you were there and say it was all good? If you did and only agreeded to buying it cause his buddies were there then shame on you. If you would have showed all them the damage that you are describing to us theres no way that they would all say that it was a good machine. Secondly, did you watch the video? Was the mileage shown on there, and you just missed it or something? I'm not pointing fingers at no one just trying to hear both sides of the deal.

I never said the sled was good when I picked it up. The first thing I tried to inspect was the engine before starting the engine. As I stated earlier when I touched the tape holding the airbox together he stepped in and I backed away from the sled while he messed with the tape. I asked what was this tape for and he kept saying the sled is sold in as is condition. At that point I tried to take the side panels off but they were screwed into the frame and then another guy there said I needed to load the sled so he could get his ramp back.

Finally he said he tried to be as honest as he could but I should realize the "amount I paid was basically for the SLP kit ... the rest of the sled comes with the SLP kit."

I watched the video , I contacted him after viewing the video asking what the mileage of the sled was. This is the newest sled I bought and I know how to read a mechanical odometer but can't make out the numbers on this video. I know I talked to him on the phone about this asnd he stated the engine has 700 miles.

Also I have found out the number 1 in front of the "SLP KIT MILEAGE PICTURE" is a trip meter. How does this make the mileage of the SLP kit valid ?

Going over my notes the original owner (who sold it to the guy I bought it from) had said a different used motor was installed with the SLP KIT and already had about 1200 miles prior to going into this chassis. So this is at least the second motor on this sled. Plus he said the kit was done 3 or 4 years ago. So how am I suppose to know what the mileage of this sled is ... Mileage should have been described as unknown since even the original owner does not know. Would the ECM on the sled have the overall mileage, mileage of the second engine or the mileage of the SLP KIT?

The title has the original sale date as 11/11/2006 and a reissued title on 12/30/2010 then an incomplete sale dated 27 Feb of 2012. So would this make it 3 owners making me the 4th?

While cleaning out the engine area I found a receipt from Kurt's polaris Inc dated 4/15/11 where the clutch was grinding the frame above 6000 RPM. Replaced bad motor mount, add coolant and replaced leaking coolant cap. Note on invoice state coolant and cap for Js 600 XC, J is Paying to fix Rs sled.

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
How do I find out if the engine is original to this sled ?
Will the serial number state what the engine is for/from? Is the only "sign" of a SLP kit the is the 727 ontop of the cylinder ? How bout the VIN?

What about clutches ... helix number on the driven and type of spring on the primary.

The belt on it is a 3211115 with an 3211080 as a spare. Cleaned lots of belt off the walls.

The clutch in black marker has 06 trail written on it and was told by the original owner or the dealer the clutch was replaced when the first one broke.

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I'll answer this question for him. What would you do, you just paid a guy $3500 for a sled one week prior, sleds jacked, kid has his buddies with him. Would you argue with him and leave the sled behind HOPING you can get your money back later or load up the sled so incase you do get screwed out of the money atleast he has something to show for it.

I didn't ask why he didn't unload it after loaded. I would have never taken possession of that POS, buddies standing there or not. Not only did he load, he has done some stuff to it since. Not trying to be a deek but I think he is screwed without a bunch more money blown on an attorney. Even if an attorney can help the loser doubtfully has a pot to piss in.

Not sure what eBay can do, I don't think they attempt to collect $$, but can only ruin his eBay rep or ban him etc which doesn't nothing for the buyer in this case.

One thing for sure, NEVER pay in advance for deals like this eBay or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Did you use PayPal to pay this douche? Prob better luck with Paypal helping than eBay. Hope it works out!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Did you use PayPal to pay this douche? Prob better luck with Paypal helping than eBay. Hope it works out!!

Asked and answered

A deposit of $500 was thru Paypal. balance was sent over night on the day I was going to pay for a shipper to pick it up.

All I have done to the sled is clean it ... 600 Q-tips, 4 rolls of paper towels and a gallon of concentrated cleaner.

Last edited:

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
Wow....mini nightmare. Hope it works out for you.

Next time feel free to give one of us here in MT a call and we would be happy to go check out the sled and the seller for you. Heck we could have even picked it up for you or taken delivery for you and you could have come to pick it up here in MT at your convenience.

Good luck.

Also it's called Kurts Polaris. I dont believe there is any such Polaris of Seeley Lake. Also spelling is Seeley not Sealy.....was that the sellers name and spelling error?

Last edited:
Reactions: mikew5945

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow....mini nightmare. Hope it works out for you.

Next time feel free to give one of us here in MT a call and we would be happy to go check out the sled and the seller for you. Heck we could have even picked it up for you or taken delivery for you and you could have come to pick it up here in MT at your convenience.

Good luck.

Also it's called Kurts Polaris. I dont believe there is any such Polaris of Seeley Lake. Also spelling is Seeley not Sealy.....was that the sellers name and spelling error?

Seller spelling error on the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190689074070&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Bummer situation. Pictures of the sled would be cool to see.

The auction has pics

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190689074070&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Initial auction pics

$(KGrHqJHJDYE-8ydmlv6BP)Y4bIMPw~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJEYE-k(bjcjtBP)Y4PolBw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJ!wE-dS4FSVuBP)Y4ZN+RQ~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!qkE-YenWIYeBP)vMG0hew~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJDYE-8ydmlv6BP)Y4bIMPw~~60_14.JPG

Some Pics after I bid

$(KGrHqN,!qkE-YenWIYeBP1qFdlBvQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!q0E-ZLYf(sPBP1qF-syqg~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Not what you expected??? probably but seriously you didnt get hurt on that thing all that bad. Motor runs...sled rides...and it looks like you will get the title situation resolved.
My advice if you are totally unhappy re-sell it and take a MINOR beating. Describe it best as possible and it will still bring 2500 bux or more IMO. Heck at worst you would be out 700-1000 bux and chalk your trip up to school of hard knocks.

On the positive side I know Ebay and have recently had a bad deal with me as the seller...I was very very clear about product purchased and yet the buyer was able to reverse the deal and pull money from my paypal account. So if you get anything you may get your 500.00 back and that would put you to what that sled is worth anyway.

Best of luck.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Not what you expected??? probably but seriously you didnt get hurt on that thing all that bad. Motor runs...sled rides...and it looks like you will get the title situation resolved.
My advice if you are totally unhappy re-sell it and take a MINOR beating. Describe it best as possible and it will still bring 2500 bux or more IMO. Heck at worst you would be out 700-1000 bux and chalk your trip up to school of hard knocks.

I wish the worst I would be out is $1000 bucks. I have been to the school of hard knocks I would think there is a classroom there with my name constatly called at the door. Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ... oh he's been moved to the abyss of being naive with online motorized vehicle purchase located multi states away with blurry images, incomplete descriptions, liens on titles, and a vehicle that can't be test ridden for at least 4-5 months. Hey wasn't he in the class where people rip off you father's estate multi states away while the lawyer charges $350 an hour ... Yep that's him and he is still there. And he is recovering from shoulder surgery and is glad he can wipe his azz with his OWN hand. Still there to ... it's those little things that become precious.

Okay what is my cost?

$3437.28 for the sled

$32 final payment order overnight shipping

$600 in fuel to pick it up

$403.73 sales tax & title transfer

$52 OHV registration fee ($23 penalty if I don't pay plus impound of sled if caught riding)

Cracked truck windshield picking it up and 2600 miles on my truck ...

3 days of my life to pick it up plus time to resolve.

16 hours Cleaning the sled and inspection plus food for my mechanic friend

It's June I have yet to ride the sled. I don't know how it rides ... I do know the power valves probably don't open because the diaphrams are cracked.

I haven't even posted pics of the cylinders from the exhaust ports.

$200 With the condition it is in I would send the clutches off to be inspected/ rebalanced.

$100 (for 4 used)The idler wheels on the track have the rubber delaminating need to be replaced. (track has ripped lugs leave alone cause there are tears in the track and when it goes buy a used one for $300)

$600 I'd send off the cylinders to get renicked and replace the pistons check run out. Still need to post compression check results

Engine torque/idler arms have gaps of at least 3/8-1/2 inch. Check motor mounts

$300 The front A-arms are bent

$500 The exhaust pipe is smashed and changing the harmonics of the pipe plus it is rusted thru. (found a pipe for $450 but need donut and most springs are very weak plus an exhaust pipe welder is not cheap here)

Now what do I do about the frame from the steering? The tubes coming off the steering are bent. I am in Los Angeles and haven't mig welded for a long while. Mig welders in the city are not common and they will charge me mucho dollars. If I do find a welder willing to work on it what are the chances the repair will bring the sled back to its original geometry? Do I leave all the torn and melted plastic? Seat has holes in it and will have frozen water in it before the riding is done for the day.

Off course my finite time on this planet is free. I like to work on the next sled like any other sledder but my summer toys need some luvin and so does my family.

I didn't add this up cause who knows what more it would need plus you can argue some of this maintenance repair would be done with any sled you purchase.

Lets not discuss what I could have done ... should a ... could a ... would a with 5 grand over again.

Last edited:

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
You shoulda never loaded this thing in your truck. Sorry but I just had to say it. I mean really, were you scared of getting beat up by his friends if you didn't load it? You got took and I doubt there is anything even a lawyer is going to do for you. Sorry man

Reactions: backcountryislife

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You shoulda never loaded this thing in your truck. Sorry but I just had to say it. I mean really, were you scared of getting beat up by his friends if you didn't load it? You got took and I doubt there is anything even a lawyer is going to do for you. Sorry man

I wasn't worried about getting beat up but being 1400 miles away from home alone in an alley with people getting out of vehicles from Florida makes me wonder what is exactly going on. There might be some crime in LA I am privy to have knowledge. Sure I was nervous and unsure as to why the outcome was not the way everyone wanted. This is not my first rodeo. I was concerned about having nothing to show for the money spent and now know the sled was not as described and for todays market its a parts sled.

Leaving the sled there would have been a disaster. How would the group of people respond if I just left without the sled? How could I prove I did not pick it up with the trail left across 4 states? Everyone there saw me , I shopped at local shops , I'm sure there are pics of me in town. Then what happens to the sled? Does it stay in the alley get jacked / stolen and I have nothing? At least I have a $1500 parts sled ... and an interesting conversation on SNOWEST !

Plus there is insurance on the auction from Ebay ... lets see how they respond. This is what I pray will create a resonable outcome.

Last edited:
H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
people getting out of vehicles from Florida makes me wonder what is exactly going on crime .

I agree 100%...I refuse to do business with any affiliation with that state. Its just the way it is.

As for taking the sled you did the right thing. You maybe could of pushed the deal to try and get out of it a bit more but I wasnt there and you may of felt more hostility in the air than can be decribed here on the forum.

Sorry, I still dont feel your in that bad of shape here though. Heck I will write you a check for 2500 if you want out of it that bad, and I only live 1400 miles from you and would expect you to deliver it:face-icon-small-ton j/k.

Seriously though if you lived close I would write the check and let my buddies finish beating that sled into the ground. It would make a good back up sled in the trailer or loaner.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Seriously though if you lived close I would write the check and let my buddies finish beating that sled into the ground. .

Don, if Himark is serious on the offer cut your losses, don't throw good money after bad. He can get it up and running with a small investment and mechanical skills, you've already spent too much time and money to ever make it worthwhile. Take a hit and get on to something else, you'll never be able to enjoy that sled no matter how much time or money you waste on it. Maybe you guys are to far apart, try selling locally, there's always somebody willing to take on a summer project if they get it for the right price. Oh, and thanks for the Shoei helmet you sold me a few years ago, that's how deals should go.:face-icon-small-hap

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana

All I can say is YUM-YUM. You fell for the hood color didn't you? He misrepresented it on e-bay. This is what he wrote:
Never had a problem. Always garage kept. The SLP 727 has about 700 miles on it. 91 octane fuel only. 150 horsepower on 91 octane.

Nothing wrong with the sled, just relocating.Sad to see it go..

Mike

I can see in the e-bay picture and the one he sent you that the hood was broke and zip ties by the A-arm and side pannel. "Nothing wrong (except zip ties)" You didn't do your research. Your cost list is priceless. You knew you had to go get the sled or ship it. Fuel=no charge. Windshield=No charge. Your time= not spent well. Like already said there are a lot of sleders in Montana. Next time ask us to look at it for you. I am truly sorry for your unhappiness in your deal.

Reactions: backcountryislife
Premium Features