• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BUYER BEWARE Deal not looking good

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Buyer/Seller bad deals go both ways. I had a tricked out XP, sunk about 15k into it in mods (loved the sled). I had some bad luck with money cause of the economy so I sold it at a killer price to my dumb azz neighbor.

Well long story short he blew the motor 5 rides later cause he did not use good fuel and I believe he injested some snow through the air intake, but we will never know the truth.

Just before the motor (860 BB, twin pipes, about 1500km) burned down and sent the connecting rod through the case, he told me it didnt feel right when he was climbing a small cut block. So instead of stopping and checking things out he got to the bottom and started doing doughnuts WOT in about 3' of fresh snow and BOOM.

So now it sits in his garage in pieces. Frign idiot!

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
That is why I took the sled so I least I should get some of the money back to be sold as a parts sled..

I hear ya on that, at least you have something. I know it is a pain, hopefully it's works out for you.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
wow... I know this is going to come off rather rude, and I've been on your side of the deal before, so i'm trying to empathize... BUT...

most of the shots your posting... look like a used sled.

The track... what are you looking at? the zip ties? you can see them in his pics, dirty motor? REALLY?

Yes, there are a few things on that sled that aren't as they should have been... so ask for more pics & don't EVER bid till you know the full story, or have as complete a picture as you can get.

You can see zip ties on the hood, zip ties on the bellypan, bent running board... all from his pics. Seeing these things, shouldn't that be an indication of how the sled was going to look?

I really try hard to tell people EVERY thing I can think of about a sled when selling, because I HATE crap like this. You can never think of everything that's been done, so do your best to come close. This guy didn't, but it's obvious (to me at least) that there's more that he's not showing.

Right now you've got a sled that you're making this huge list about... and you don't have a darn clue whether ANY of it is really needed. A track? that pic looks better than a track I'd have on a sled for 3 weeks. Jugs?

Sorry to be rude, but you sound like a dam whiner to me. YOU made a mistake that was avoidable, YOU sent money before taking possession, YOU didn't ask for more complete pics, and now YOU are picking apart a $3500 sled like it's fresh from the factory. You're talking about wreckage... what tells you it has been "wrecked"? It's been used HARD (which zip ties are usually indicative of) but don't see anything that says it's been "wrecked" either. The rub marks from the pull rope though... THAT is serious stuff. you should get those looked at.

The guy lied about miles, and he lied about having a clear title... other than that, you just sound like you're having buyers remorse because you didn't look into this better. Had you kept this thread about those issues, you'd likely not have a single person questioning you.

Seems to me that BOTH sides of this dealt with it HORRIBLY, and honestly, someone who doesn't do a better job buying allows people like this to thrive.

Take it as a lesson (a very minor one) and move on. We've all made mistakes, you just made one too.

btw... who goes to buy a sled without a ramp?:face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Update with Ebay selling policy.

Regardless of how many pictures you put on the auction. Any damage, physical signs of wear, incomplete repairs on a vehicle sold on Ebay motors must be described in writing in the description of the auction.

Ebay will not help with the title ... since it is Illegal to sell a vehicle not registered in your own name.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
i would have to say that according to the ebay policy they are in violation. with that being said, think how much time and money you would have into it trying to file a case with ebay. you already took possesion of the sled. they probably wouldnt respond anyways as well.... i agree with what others said. either fix it up and have a good used mod sled, or fix the major areas and sell it for what it is and try to recoup some of the costs.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
In my opinion... the sled isnt too bad. Looks the same as all 9 of my sleds! Now consider... i dont know what your looking at as far as the motor. If the sled was $3500.00 I would say you over spent by $500.00... though its right on par if the motor/727 kit is reliable. EVERY used sled I EVER bought had junk clutches because owners didnt maintain them. All the alum rippling should be of little concern, unless "looks" outweigh "functionality"? The chitty weld should be able to get cleaned up... blacksmith shop maybe? friend with welding skill? call around industrial machine/repair shops? I overpaid around $500.00-$1000.00 for the sled I bought last year, and it STILL isnt fuilly up to where I want it (AND, it was down for 2 months of our PRIME rideing season!)... but it rides good, and just takes time, patience and money. But what sled doesnt?...

My sled (for comparison):

2007 M8 snopro, saw it on on-line add in UT. #1, the description was wrong w/ the pic and the guy that listed it "no longer worked there". Asking $5000,00 ($1000.00 more than was in the add) it was on consignment at a dealer.

But, they had a paper trail on the work, and would ho;d it while i made payements... so I took the deal. sight unseen, on faith. After the deal, I came across another older add by the "owner" for the same sled, he wanted $4000.00 at that time. (price went up, oh well)

When I picked it up... the SLP skis that were on it were gone and replaced with simmons. cover was sun rotted, hole in the hood, oil in the belly pan, clutches looked worn, front end wasnt aligned...

I took it with a smile. I coulda got on an M8 or M1000 for around $4000.00 a month after I picked the sled up. I still have to re-clutch it, rode it the way it was. the Y-pipe fell off it on a ride, found 2 of the nuts in the belly pan, was enough to get me home. The exhaust temp sensor was bad, still havent fixed it. The backup beeper wont turn off, unplugged it....

If you buy used sleds... this is pretty common I've found. You just have to understand that, accept it... and be ready for what your willing to accept and what your not. Thats my opinion.

It basically looks like this went from a SCREAMING DEAL! (a 727 mod "like new" condition for $3500.00) to just an average everyday used sled transaction. (as far as value anyway)

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Update with Ebay selling policy.

Regardless of how many pictures you put on the auction. Any damage, physical signs of wear, incomplete repairs on a vehicle sold on Ebay motors must be described in writing in the description of the auction.

Ebay will not help with the title ... since it is Illegal to sell a vehicle not registered in your own name.

So,

What is it you're planning on doing at this point?

Are you going to try to get your money back & bring the sled back up to Montana?

Despite all the little crap, he did clearly violate ebay policy, so you can TRY to go after him for that, but is that really what you want?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
The title of the sled has a lien and I don't have a release letter so at this point if I keep the sled it is a parts sled.

I don't need a parts sled.

Vehicle Purchase Protection is being processed by Ebay.

Ebay is asking the seller to take the sled back (on his dime) or he may get banned from Ebay.

I am getting a estimate for repair from an authorized Polaris repair shop to officially document damages not described in the auction. Once I have this estimate I'll send it to Ebay to see what $$$$ they will pay for these repairs.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Don i've read all the posts-DUMP THIS SLED AND MOVE ON

a.s long as u have it, it will leave a bad taste in your mouth

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
Don i've read all the posts-DUMP THIS SLED AND MOVE ON

as long as u have it, it will leave a bad taste in your mouth

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Don sorry for your troubles, I think you got the stinky end of the stick this time. Couple things to think about. One, there was only one other bidder thatbid against you and he might have been his buddy or co-conspirator. I would have EBay check that bidder out and see if They can find a connection between then. eBay doesn't have a sense of humor about that. Next I would try and get the guy to send you some cash to make it right. You will never be whole but a grand would take the sting out of the deal a bit and he wouldn't get banned from EBay which might be important to him. Last you gotta stop buying used stuff online. You admit to getting screwed before. We gotta learn from our mistakes...

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Don, check your PMs.

I talked to Curt at Kurt's Polaris. It was his engine and he only put about 300 miles on it. It was not in that chassis. He thinks the damage to the sled was done before the that engine was put in it. He does not believe the person that bought the engine put too many more miles on it either. He said it was a great engine. I have ridden plenty of Curt's sleds and possibly even this engine. All run awesome and pull hard. He knows how to get the sweet spot on an engine.

I am concerned about the clutches and the care the sled and engine has received since then though.

You can call DMV in Deerlodge, MT and ask if they have the lien release on file. If need be, you can register it in MT and get the title cleared up and then just register it in CA.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
seems like regardless of the condition of the sled this guy should be banned from ebay just for selling a vehicle without a title/lien on title

yep x2 or x$3,437.28

Don sorry for your troubles, I think you got the stinky end of the stick this time. Couple things to think about. One, there was only one other bidder thatbid against you and he might have been his buddy or co-conspirator. I would have EBay check that bidder out and see if They can find a connection between then. eBay doesn't have a sense of humor about that. Next I would try and get the guy to send you some cash to make it right. You will never be whole but a grand would take the sting out of the deal a bit and he wouldn't get banned from EBay which might be important to him. Last you gotta stop buying used stuff online. You admit to getting screwed before. We gotta learn from our mistakes...

I asked about this but hey won't spend the time to investigate other bidders. I did contact the seller several times and when the payment was delayed he talked and he said on the phone 2 grand was fair BUT the next day the bank released the money to him so he told Ebay he never made such an ageement. Boy was I luckky to go to the bank again cause I was gonna Paypal him another $1500 since I thought the check was cancelled. Well this is the biggest loss on Ebay from me most ogf the time I am a seller and some buyer says he never received an item or it weas damaged ... I have the package tracked by the shipper. Being in SOCAL most my sled stuff is by mail.
Don, check your PMs.

I talked to Curt at Kurt's Polaris. It was his engine and he only put about 300 miles on it. It was not in that chassis. He thinks the damage to the sled was done before the that engine was put in it. He does not believe the person that bought the engine put too many more miles on it either. He said it was a great engine. I have ridden plenty of Curt's sleds and possibly even this engine. All run awesome and pull hard. He knows how to get the sweet spot on an engine.

I am concerned about the clutches and the care the sled and engine has received since then though.

You can call DMV in Deerlodge, MT and ask if they have the lien release on file. If need be, you can register it in MT and get the title cleared up and then just register it in CA.

On the auction the trip meter 1 is posted and it says 6xx miles ... so the seller declares that is the mileage of the 727 engine.

The 727 was put in the year 2010 as stated to me by the first owner. So the engine has just a few hundred miles and has been ridden very little the last couple years. I asked some riders around West Yellowstone and they don't know the rider but seen the sled driven around town. I don't know what is real about the engine , don't have much confidence in this sled and going over it several times several people won't even buy it from me as a parts sled ... well okay for $1000 to 2 grand.

I am very discouraged about the whole deal ... don't know if the seller is ignorant or a con but guess that does not matter.
One thing for sure most everyone I talk to believes I did not get a good deal.

Sorry to read about the misfortunes with other deals riders had happen to them.

I came across this state ment when reading the news :

The critic does not matter: nor those who point out how a strong person stumbles or whether their actions could be accomplished better.

The credit belongs to those souls who are in the game, whose life is defined by their own actions of sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who tries to succeed and comes up short again and again, because there is no real effort without error and shortcomings.

Success is from sincere enthusiasm, relentless devotion, real value is for those who spend time and money on a worthy cause; who, at their best, know, in the end, the triumph of the high achievement, and who, at their worst, when they fail, they fail daring to be great, so ones place in history shall not be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat and lived a life with little meaning and effort.

For a winner's goal is soaring with eagles and having the annuals of history know them as the best there ever was.

Last edited:

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I know pictures don't do it justice sometimes but it doesn't look too bad. Also you can see the zip ties in the pictures and miles in the video. If you did the work yourself it wouldn't be too much to get a few things. The title problem sucks but don't sell it as a parts sled.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
Seriously though if you lived close I would write the check and let my buddies finish beating that sled into the ground. It would make a good back up sled in the trailer or loaner.

Sweet, that means I could beat the hell out of it.:face-icon-small-coo

Really, I don't think you got as hosed as you think you did.

Sammy

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2007
Stony plain, Alberta
Not trying to add to your misery, but it sure looks like a cracked piston skirt in the one picture.
Always sucks to get caught on these deals,hope you can at least get some recourse in this.

Premium Features