• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BUYER BEWARE Deal not looking good

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Don, if Himark is serious on the offer cut your losses, don't throw good money after bad. He can get it up and running with a small investment and mechanical skills, you've already spent too much time and money to ever make it worthwhile. Take a hit and get on to something else, you'll never be able to enjoy that sled no matter how much time or money you waste on it. Maybe you guys are to far apart, try selling locally, there's always somebody willing to take on a summer project if they get it for the right price. Oh, and thanks for the Shoei helmet you sold me a few years ago, that's how deals should go.:face-icon-small-hap

You are welcome on the helmet. Glad to know it worked out for you.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Okay I just had a lengthy call from the guy who sold me the sled.

He says this was his very first sled (from Florida) and bought it March of this year (2012) and the sled is in the same condition as the day he bought it. He said he was told it was never wrecked and it is been maintained by the local sled shop and is in excellent condition.

Long story short he is back in Florida and can't take the sled back.

What is the fair price for this sled ... granted I can get a clear title?

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
The auction has pics

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Initial auction pics

$(KGrHqJHJDYE-8ydmlv6BP)Y4bIMPw~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJEYE-k(bjcjtBP)Y4PolBw~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqRHJ!wE-dS4FSVuBP)Y4ZN+RQ~~60_14.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!qkE-YenWIYeBP)vMG0hew~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJDYE-8ydmlv6BP)Y4bIMPw~~60_14.JPG

Some Pics after I bid

$(KGrHqN,!qkE-YenWIYeBP1qFdlBvQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!q0E-ZLYf(sPBP1qF-syqg~~60_12.JPG

Quit messing around and post some pics of the sled in your possession and pics of the problems. Cause this thread is useless without them. I hope you took pictures before you started doing anything to the machine?

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Honestly, it wouldn't take that much money to get that sled rippin' hard and very reliable. You can see in the pictures the zip ties and in the video you can see the miles on the chassis. I bet you could re-nic, change rings if there is no detonation signs, get a new good shape used track, and rebuild the clutches for $600. You bought a "Mod" sled.

Last edited:

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
Definitely needs some TLC, but you shouldn't to spend too much money to get it looking good again, what sucks is you shouldn't have to spend any money if people were honest! Like someone said up top, you will have better luck getting some money back if you go to Paypal, I think they insure your sale!
Hope everything works out!

Ryan

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Tough deal with the original owner's brother-in-law working at Kurt's.

For $3500, it is not a bad looking sled. My 2010 Kitty has more rope pull marks than that one and she typically starts on the first or second pull.

I do not think it was always garaged; maybe when he had it, but that was only a few months. My mod is an 01 and it has less rust on the pipe than that; of course she has not seen snow in 2 years since the hubby bailed and let her hit a tree. The track looks sun damaged as well.

It looks like it hit a tree at one time. Considering the guy was from Florida, he probably did not know that much about sleds. Unfortunate for him, but more for you. It is not new, that is clear. I would not have paid $3500 without riding it. If the 727 rips, then you got a good deal.

You probably should have taken a side trip through Yellowstone and over to Cooke City, they still have snow. You can always get yourself a couple of bags of ice and do some power raking in your and your neighbor's yards. Single WFO run, put the ice on the back, run for a minute or two, shut her down for 5 to 7, start her up, run for a minute or two and shut her down again. You can do it again after about 20 minutes. Easy grass drag trick for stockers or those without grass drag setups.

I would say there has also been some trimming on the tunnel. Not good. Get some running board vents from F-Bomb or something to tighten that tunnel up.

It is a used sled at a used sled price. If the engine is good, you got an ok deal.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Yup looks like a $3500 +/- sled. If you wanted a new sled you should of spent $10,000.00

I didn't expect a new sled ... just as described and with a valid title.

Right now it sits in a shed and I cant store it at a sled storage facility cause the sled can't be registered since the title has a lien and no release paper was provided.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
For $3500, it is not a bad looking sled. My 2010 Kitty has more rope pull marks than that one and she typically starts on the first or second pull.

I do not think it was always garaged; maybe when he had it, but that was only a few months. My mod is an 01 and it has less rust on the pipe than that; of course she has not seen snow in 2 years since the hubby bailed and let her hit a tree. The track looks sun damaged as well.

It looks like it hit a tree at one time. Considering the guy was from Florida, he probably did not know that much about sleds. Unfortunate for him, but more for you. It is not new, that is clear. I would not have paid $3500 without riding it. If the 727 rips, then you got a good deal.

If I'd known this I would not have bid at all. Los Angeles is not a place you easily fix a sled. Glad someone else did not bid me higher on this auction. Besides after you dump 2 grand in this thing to make half way right what could be bought for $5500 in today's market?

You probably should have taken a side trip through Yellowstone and over to Cooke City, they still have snow. You can always get yourself a couple of bags of ice and do some power raking in your and your neighbor's yards. Single WFO run, put the ice on the back, run for a minute or two, shut her down for 5 to 7, start her up, run for a minute or two and shut her down again. You can do it again after about 20 minutes. Easy grass drag trick for stockers or those without grass drag setups.

This is not gonna happen in my "not in my back yard " attitude neighborhood. As far as Cooke goes I've never been there ... how far away was some snow?
I would say there has also been some trimming on the tunnel. Not good. Get some running board vents from F-Bomb or something to tighten that tunnel up.

It is a used sled at a used sled price. If the engine is good, you got an ok deal.

If the damage was disclosed I would not have bid on the auction. There are plenty of sleds out there with a 1/3 the miles of 3000, not weather cracked up, bent tunnel, scored and rusted.

Besides these engines sell used rebuilt with all the fixins ALL DAY for $1500 especially for an older chassis.

Last edited:
H

harper

Dec 16, 2007
manitoba
09 sled for 3500, kit on it not a bad price.
Looks like someone used it well and launched it regularly.

Fix it and ride it.
Its a Polaris should run for years and years, or so i read....:face-icon-small-win

I'd never by a 2 stroke without a compression test, couldnt do it without seeing it first.
Learned that one the hard way on a triple.

J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
that is why ebay is so scary, i have always had good luck, but for that price you couldnt have expected too much. The lien on the title does suck though. i know i would have at least stood up to those guys about the sled, you might have had to take it anyways at that point, but it sounds like you just backed down and let them walk over you. i always like to ask for ALOT more pictures when buying things like that on ebay. and quality pictures, not dark and blurry ones. close ups, in the light, and high resolution. i like to see like 25-30 pictures from every angle. if they arent willing to do it they dont want to sell it all that bad.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
09 sled for 3500, kit on it not a bad price.
Looks like someone used it well and launched it regularly.

Fix it and ride it.
Its a Polaris should run for years and years, or so i read....:face-icon-small-win

I'd never by a 2 stroke without a compression test, couldnt do it without seeing it first.
Learned that one the hard way on a triple.

It is a 2007.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
that is why ebay is so scary, i have always had good luck, but for that price you couldnt have expected too much. The lien on the title does suck though. i know i would have at least stood up to those guys about the sled, you might have had to take it anyways at that point, but it sounds like you just backed down and let them walk over you. i always like to ask for ALOT more pictures when buying things like that on ebay. and quality pictures, not dark and blurry ones. close ups, in the light, and high resolution. i like to see like 25-30 pictures from every angle. if they arent willing to do it they dont want to sell it all that bad.

Should a could a would a ...

The auction initially had just a few pics and no videos. After more pics and a video were placed on the auction several emails by me were sent to inquire what was going on with the sled. Always was mentioned the motor having less than 700 miles and NEVER BEEN WRECKED, always garaged, all maintenance performed by local shop and up to date.
Polaris West (near where sled was bought)has no record of the sled, just Seeley Lake and satellite shop.

Even now seller states no wreckage and "implies" any wreckage was caused after the purchase was made because the sled had no damage just "normal wear and tear"

The price was the highest BIDDER of an auction ... glad there was no bidding war or I would have ended up paying lots more. If fact I would gladly pay more ... if the item was as described.

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Should a could a would a ...

The auction initially had just a few pics and no videos. After more pics and a video were placed on the auction several emails by me were sent to inquire what was going on with the sled. Always was mentioned the motor having less than 700 miles and NEVER BEEN WRECKED, always garaged, all maintenance performed by local shop and up to date.
Polaris West (near where sled was bought)has no record of the sled, just Seeley Lake and satellite shop.

Even now seller states no wreckage and "implies" any wreckage was caused after the purchase was made because the sled had no damage just "normal wear and tear"

The price was the highest BIDDER of an auction ... glad there was no bidding war or I would have ended up paying lots more. If fact I would gladly pay more ... if the item was as described.

Well maybe he was told that about the motor. At the end of the day it's your cash and if your so freely giving it away for an unseen sled and to a total stranger. Sorry but you F'uped.

Fix it and ride it, it's not that bad of a transaction. You have the sled and it just needs some TLC. At the end of the day after you replace and fix the problem areas, you might be close to being whole on the deal.

A worse situation would not have the sled at all and he just stole ur money.

It's a lesson learned and a good thread to give other people a heads up on what not to do when buying a used sled....:light:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Well maybe he was told that about the motor. At the end of the day it's your cash and if your so freely giving it away for an unseen sled and to a total stranger. Sorry but you F'uped.

Fix it and ride it, it's not that bad of a transaction. You have the sled and it just needs some TLC. At the end of the day after you replace and fix the problem areas, you might be close to being whole on the deal.

A worse situation would not have the sled at all and he just stole ur money.

That is why I took the sled so I least I should get some of the money back to be sold as a parts sled.. But I have a real headache ... a sled that I can't title plus ebay says not to touch the sled until the dispute is resolved.
It's a lesson learned and a good thread to give other people a heads up on what not to do when buying a used sled....:light:

This is one of the main reasons I posted this topic.

Premium Features