• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I'll be 70 before the end of the '24 season, my current snow buddies are all retired now so we will be spending more time this season on the mountain. The hardest part for us has been acclimating to the high elevations as we are flatlanders for most of the season. Our first trip in '24 will be two weeks so we can be more productive in the backcountry. We don't do hill climbing anymore as we have witnessed to many slides in the last thirty years or so. We're all about trees and meadows now. We have all shifted to +170" length skidoo's now to reduce stucks. As I get older I still have good strength but have lost quite a bit of endurance. So I can get around quite well but simply have to rest more often. That lets us enjoy the beauty of the back country more than in the past.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Not yet but soon. Will be 49 before the end of the season.
Riding better and in tougher terrain than ten years ago.
Coming home without pine needles in the underwear is considered a failure ;) :cool:
Ya, I remember back when I was ONLY 49!
Those were the Golden Days to be sure.
Was damn near invincible back then when I was just a YOUNG PUP!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I will never forget. I was riding with my Dad and friends. There was a guy with us, in his early 60’s I expect. Great rider. Could read snow and terrain better than anyone I ever saw, and back in those days (early 80’s) that was important. We stopped for lunch and my Dad asked him how he was feeling. He said good, but the doc told him to not even go to the mountains the elevation could kill him. Dad asked him why he was up there. He said “ I can’t imagine a better way to go out than deep snow and a good sled working.”

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I will never forget. I was riding with my Dad and friends. There was a guy with us, in his early 60’s I expect. Great rider. Could read snow and terrain better than anyone I ever saw, and back in those days (early 80’s) that was important. We stopped for lunch and my Dad asked him how he was feeling. He said good, but the doc told him to not even go to the mountains the elevation could kill him. Dad asked him why he was up there. He said “ I can’t imagine a better way to go out than deep snow and a good sled working.”
Hard to argue with that sentiment.

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
This thread has been one of the better ones on Snowest since it came out back in 2017. Love reading the comments posted by the "old dudes" who are still out there kickin' ass(or trying to). Just hit the big 80 last Sunday and patiently waiting for the white stuff to hit the Sierras. Might be a late start this season, as we already had a couple of rides in at this time last season. Thrills me to read that some gents in their mid-80's are still out there riding. Gives me something to shoot for. Like I said on a previous post, it beats the hell out of sitting home eating Cheetos. Hope everyone has a great season and a safe one.

I

inspectorgadget

Sep 30, 2023
Maryland
3 years ago, at the age of 53, After 30+ years of trail riding all over the east coast my group of sledhead friends took our 1st trip west to West Yellowstone. Lets just say I didn't get it right away (deep snow technique) and was only getting 6-7 days seat time for each of the past 3 seasons. I may only get 5 days out west this season. Can't wait.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This thread has been one of the better ones on Snowest since it came out back in 2017. Love reading the comments posted by the "old dudes" who are still out there kickin' ass(or trying to). Just hit the big 80 last Sunday and patiently waiting for the white stuff to hit the Sierras. Might be a late start this season, as we already had a couple of rides in at this time last season. Thrills me to read that some gents in their mid-80's are still out there riding. Gives me something to shoot for. Like I said on a previous post, it beats the hell out of sitting home eating Cheetos. Hope everyone has a great season and a safe one.
that it does!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
3 years ago, at the age of 53, After 30+ years of trail riding all over the east coast my group of sledhead friends took our 1st trip west to West Yellowstone. Lets just say I didn't get it right away (deep snow technique) and was only getting 6-7 days seat time for each of the past 3 seasons. I may only get 5 days out west this season. Can't wait.
heck of a difference isn't it.

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
Different learning curve for us older school-bus drivers, eh Chris :)

736093_10201126642020844_1956898327_o.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Different learning curve for us older school-bus drivers, eh Chris :)

736093_10201126642020844_1956898327_o.jpg
DAMN STRAIGHT BROTHER.

Having spent MANY years riding boosted yamahas, and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT, when I switched over to my First 2-stroke in December of 2016, I will NEVER forget the FIRST MINUTE of riding.

I backed the sled down off the trailer, flipped it from reverse into forward, and leaned into it (just like the Nytro & Viper) to make a really tight turn away from the trailer

AND ROLLED THE SLED OVER in the parking lot.
Absolute funniest moment of my entire riding career.

Damn Doo was so light I had to TOTALLY RELEARN how to ride that season.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I can just envision that one Chris :) Ask Mark Leiphiemer about me face planted in a giant mushroom rock full of snow, and yes there are no pictures :) I looked like wily coyote :ROFLMAO:
And lets not forget the ENORMOUS SMILE I had on my face laying in the parking lot laughing...

Premium Features