• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you Over 50 and STILL SHREDDING?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

powderhound1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lake Tapps
Just turned 71 yesterday and wife 62 last month, will be in the mountains next weekend for the weekend and then Mt St Helens in a few weeks for the weekend as well, riding a POLARIS 600 PRO, 50-75 miles a day is anormal ride, snowmobiles all winter, bicycles and hot rods all summer. We don't quit riding because we get old, we get old because we quit riding, remember use it or loose it!!!

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Convinced that if you start acting old, you become old. Guys my age (50-55) start making more and more lame excuses to NOT just get out there and ride. It's why I actively look for younger guys to ride with. Too many times the guys I have ridden with for years just stay there at the trail and not follow me up a drainage, the breaks become longer and more frequent and so on. This is by far the ****tiest thing about sledding as I've gotten "older". I truly hope I get to ride into my 70's if I don't just sell off everything because of lack of serious riding partners. Rant over. Sorry, got canceled on last minute today

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
Never really thought about age being a limit to anything. I have always dived into anything in front of me and can't imagine doing less. Many times, I get into spots, that I know I shouldn't be, but that also keeps me in shape getting out.
Can honestly say, I don't ever plan on stopping or even slowing down, till I can't squeeze the throttle any more.
Might have this in my blood from my Grandma. She bought her last new sled, when she was 82!
Heck, I've got 20 yrs before I'm that age, so I'm happily looking forward to lots of years yet.?
Currently been riding my own sled for 50 years! And for those wondering, it's always been Ski-doo!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Convinced that if you start acting old, you become old. Guys my age (50-55) start making more and more lame excuses to NOT just get out there and ride. It's why I actively look for younger guys to ride with. Too many times the guys I have ridden with for years just stay there at the trail and not follow me up a drainage, the breaks become longer and more frequent and so on. This is by far the ****tiest thing about sledding as I've gotten "older". I truly hope I get to ride into my 70's if I don't just sell off everything because of lack of serious riding partners. Rant over. Sorry, got canceled on last minute today
Brother, you just hit the freaking NAIL ON THE HEAD.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
Brother, you just hit the freaking NAIL ON THE HEAD.

I know! I think as riders get "older", they ride less aggressive opening themselves up to getting stuck more often. The energy exerted to get unstuck is seen as a negative instead of a positive (increase heart rate, get in better shape) so they avoid anything "risky" to avoid them stucks. I look at a drainage as fun and a challenge as where they see it as a stuck.

I got an avi-bag this year not because I think riding the Sierra's snow is high risk but rather because my biggest fear is not necessarily if my riding partner can find my beacon signal but if he would have the stamina to actually dig me out. Sad reality.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I know! I think as riders get "older", they ride less aggressive opening themselves up to getting stuck more often. The energy exerted to get unstuck is seen as a negative instead of a positive (increase heart rate, get in better shape) so they avoid anything "risky" to avoid them stucks. I look at a drainage as fun and a challenge as where they see it as a stuck.

I got an avi-bag this year not because I think riding the Sierra's snow is high risk but rather because my biggest fear is not necessarily if my riding partner can find my beacon signal but if he would have the stamina to actually dig me out. Sad reality.
Damn!
Thats NOT a good thought to be having as you begin your assault on that drainage!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Buddy of mine said you're better to wear out than rust out but either way you're out i think. My shoulders are my big problem anymore. Both need replaced but i refuse to play that deck. I turn 54 on Wednesday. I could go 90 if it wasn't for that. I had too give up my 170 hp stand up jet ski because it is feeling like it pulls my arms out of socket. My riding partner is younger so he isn't the hold-up. If anything it's me now. I can't sit around because I get too cold. My hands give me fits.
I hear ya on the sitting around. Most that I've went with for years sit around alot more. I guess it is better than sitting at home. I just don't like doing it. I have a hard time on the girl's rides because I want to go play where on completely different stuff.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Any reason you haven't moved over to ELECTRIC GLOVES?
More than a few guys I ride with SWEAR BY THEM.

I have the inversion and the tundra. Went through 2 sets of batteries Saturday. I think they figured out i have Raynauds. Fingertips froze and hands burning up from handwarmers. Even had Fingertips completely white when jet skiing in summer. I've also asked a buddy how my Fingertips can be froze when it's above freezing? That is why i don't ride when below zero anymore. If i had to work on anything my ship is sunk. Don't like to stop and eat because my hands freeze and have to start the whole program over of crying until they thaw out. After that I'm usually good if i don't stop. Also have a fit with doing concrete in the winter because of it. Not going to use $250 heated gloves and get them soaked with form oil.
Tundra gloves are too big other than ride in or out.

C
Jan 24, 2002
Helena, MT
I thought I was done sledding. My last sled, was the last ZX Doo ..2003 Highmark Extreme 800 159 with reverse.. 6500 mountain miles on it, still lift the ski's .. previous to that was a 2000 700 151, the first Highmark, that 700 has 9K mountain miles on factory pistons ridden like it was stolen. A 1998 583 with a 136, rode it until I saw that the 151 did in powder.. 5400 mountain mile.

My buddies was getting done, so I was done. TOO many funerals lately, I bought a 2020 850 155, that the factory correctly nicknamed a KHAOS.. so much technology in this thing.. I cannot ride it to its ability, but what it does for me is INCREDIBLE.. 2nd season and I almost to 1800 miles.. I LOVE THIS MACHINE.
Make this 59 7/8 year old man tingle with excitement..
I used to say that IF I could get my sleds down to $1 per mile I was happy.. not gas oil belts or cheeseburgers, just COST / MILES = 1 I'm gonna have to ride the **** out of this fine machine.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
I thought I was done sledding. My last sled, was the last ZX Doo ..2003 Highmark Extreme 800 159 with reverse.. 6500 mountain miles on it, still lift the ski's .. previous to that was a 2000 700 151, the first Highmark, that 700 has 9K mountain miles on factory pistons ridden like it was stolen. A 1998 583 with a 136, rode it until I saw that the 151 did in powder.. 5400 mountain mile.

My buddies was getting done, so I was done. TOO many funerals lately, I bought a 2020 850 155, that the factory correctly nicknamed a KHAOS.. so much technology in this thing.. I cannot ride it to its ability, but what it does for me is INCREDIBLE.. 2nd season and I almost to 1800 miles.. I LOVE THIS MACHINE.
Make this 59 7/8 year old man tingle with excitement..
I used to say that IF I could get my sleds down to $1 per mile I was happy.. not gas oil belts or cheeseburgers, just COST / MILES = 1 I'm gonna have to ride the **** out of this fine machine.
Was that you in the bowls on Sat?

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I turned 64 back in Feb and I haven't even begun to slow down, most of the guys I ride with are all younger than me and I have no problem keeping up with them. I still act like a kid sometimes when I'm out playing outdoors and believe that is what keeps me young plus having a wife that's 4 years younger than I am and is constantly pushing for me to stay active certainly helps too.;)

Premium Features