• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat is far less represented than Skidoo and Polaris, discussion

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I was out riding today on my 2019 AC Alpha (pow day finally) And didnt see one arctic cat anywhere. Mostly summit 850's. But lots of guys commented on how my cat was a great sled. I enjoy many aspects of the Alpha. Traction and power being the big ones. Its got grunt and the gearing or whatever fits my riding style. I think the track plays a huge role. Not the easiest sled to ride in some situations but I know now it can climb very well in deep snow and roll into a side hill with a slight weight shift. No one told me this before I bought it. I TOOK THAT CHANCE and have zero regrets buying the cat so far. I would not have purchased a twin rail Arctic cat. I cant buy any more talent with what's out there now. I owned 2 summits before the Alpha.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Word of mouth is a powerful form of marketing too. The few Cat riders I've been around have complained a lot about their sleds. Stuff like that hurts sales as much as lousy ads and websites.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
was out in west again monday and tuesday and saw more cats than other years. definatly see more when in the back country too. ive seen more cats than polaris where ive been anyways.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
I was recently out West and it was about 75% Polaris, 20% Doo and the rest Cat/Yamaha. Only 2 Cats left in my group, last year there was 5. Soon to be 1 and unless some things change, unfortunately i might be right behind them. Biggest thing for me is they need to acknowledge that there's and issue and try to find a fix. Doesn't have to be free, just give us something. Going to get spendy fast if that clutch blows.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Word of mouth is a powerful form of marketing too. The few Cat riders I've been around have complained a lot about their sleds. Stuff like that hurts sales as much as lousy ads and websites.
What are they complaining about? It would be good to hear what the issues are.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i dont understand the running board issues. ive ridden two 850 skidoos and with a third one and they were all three dogs. not even close to climbing with a mtn cat, so i dont understand the hype. 1500 miles with not a single problem on my 18 cat. not saying they are perfect at all but none of them are.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
i dont understand the running board issues. ive ridden two 850 skidoos and with a third one and they were all three dogs. not even close to climbing with a mtn cat, so i dont understand the hype. 1500 miles with not a single problem on my 18 cat. not saying they are perfect at all but none of them are.
Agreed, none are perfect.
Riders need to find what works best for them. All brands require compromises.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
A bigger issue would be the sloppy air intake ingesting snow. Too many alpha rail failures, yes most probably from abuse but it was pumped to be stronger then rails, but isn’t. The meat and potatoes of the cat is still good. But for the price we pay for these things a few refinements and some “low hanging fruit” improvements go a long way. Am I running away from cat yet, no. But these are not unrealistic expectations or achievements.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Finally rode some stellar snow and my 2020 ran like a champ where my 19 bogged out. Never had it in that much snow the first year. It was getting water on the clutch at the very end of the day and sent me into the bars. My buddy's polaris was freezing the throttle cable and would pop the cable off the flipper. Another had deflection bolt break and was the left over piece was backing out getting his deflection too tight. He kept running it back in periodically to salvage the day. The cat was pretty flawless. Extremely happy about that. Group of 15 there were 3 cats, 2 doos and 10 poos. I was all set to put an alpha rail on a poo but changed my mind. I hate that the cat steers twice as hard as my wife's kaos but i love the fact you don't get a bunch of feedback through the bars on the cat if you have it on edge through rough stuff. If they would just put decent boards on and clean up the abortion in front of the bars i would probably be happy. Kicked snow all day.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Finally rode some stellar snow and my 2020 ran like a champ where my 19 bogged out. Never had it in that much snow the first year. It was getting water on the clutch at the very end of the day and sent me into the bars. My buddy's polaris was freezing the throttle cable and would pop the cable off the flipper. Another had deflection bolt break and was the left over piece was backing out getting his deflection too tight. He kept running it back in periodically to salvage the day. The cat was pretty flawless. Extremely happy about that. Group of 15 there were 3 cats, 2 doos and 10 poos. I was all set to put an alpha rail on a poo but changed my mind. I hate that the cat steers twice as hard as my wife's kaos but i love the fact you don't get a bunch of feedback through the bars on the cat if you have it on edge through rough stuff. If they would just put decent boards on and clean up the abortion in front of the bars i would probably be happy. Kicked snow all day.
Bdx boards were great on my alpha

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
so what is the "problem" with the running boards ive had a 14 a 15 and an 18 for a combined 6 and a half years and havent had a problem. at least they dont ice up like a poo with the aluminum tunnel and tunnel coolers.

C
Oct 9, 2019
so what is the "problem" with the running boards ive had a 14 a 15 and an 18 for a combined 6 and a half years and havent had a problem. at least they dont ice up like a poo with the aluminum tunnel and tunnel coolers.

I personally don't mind cats boards. Doo boards don't build up but they chew your boots up like a cheese grater. Polaris boards ice up and you slip off... I just give my cat boards a kick off with my boot and I'm good to go..

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just got done riding in stellar snow and they did get ice on outer edge and they were piled up all day. Move your foot back and was standing 2 inches taller. Kicked snow all day. Side of tunnel was full and kicking it off there also. My buddy's polaris ices because of heat exchanger but mine was doing it too. Step on his and snow falls through. Holes are too small on cat. Had to kick it off. I also had a tree go through the boards on my 19. Cheesy thin aluminum. Wouldn't have happened on doo or poo. Less than stellar snow and they are fine. I thought these sleds were for deep snow not less than stellar.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I personally don't mind cats boards. Doo boards don't build up but they chew your boots up like a cheese grater. Polaris boards ice up and you slip off... I just give my cat boards a kick off with my boot and I'm good to go..
That has not been my experience on a g4 skidoo. I’m constantly clearing snow and ice chunks off my boards.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I ride with a lot of skidoos, gen 4 and older and they are as bad and worse than my cat. The alpha does ice a bit worse than my 14 does though. I don't mind the boards on mine.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm not a fan of the stock Doo boards at all. Not for snow clearing, but because they flex so badly when an above average size human stands on them.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm not a fan of the stock Doo boards at all. Not for snow clearing, but because they flex so badly when an above average size human stands on them.

When it comes to boards, nothing surpasses the Skinz Airframes!. But they are a major PITA to install, well worth the time and effort, but a pain. None of the OEMs have factory boards that compare..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features