• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AMDS... have they screwed you too?

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
He acts like hes the only guy to talks to random customers, I could think of a few guys that deal with probly twice as many **** headed people, but they dont go on a rant and try to lose business. Your in the business of CUSTOMER service, so when we get crappy service we get mad. I bet you do get a lot of bad apples but thats life.. suck it up man.

You did open up my mind witht he above post- but it still goes, when i go to get a part and the guy is askin me where it is.. Wheres the line? I agree with you that they should maybe hire more compotent people and pay them more what they deserve, because we can all agree that a good parts guy is VERY nice too have.

Last edited:
Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
He acts like hes the only guy to talks to random customers, I could think of a few guys that deal with probly twice as many **** headed people, but they dont go on a rant and try to lose business. Your in the business of CUSTOMER service, so when we get crappy service we get mad. I bet you do get a lot of bad apples but thats life.. suck it up man.

You did open up my mind witht he above post- but it still goes, when i go to get a part and the guy is askin me where it is.. Wheres the line? I agree with you that they should maybe hire more compotent people and pay them more what they deserve, because we can all agree that a good parts guy is VERY nice too have.

How am I going to loose business? No one here buys parts from me. These dealership rants get me going. There are always two sides to a story. The real story usually resides somewhere in the middle. Not always but usually.
If your going to complain about service then complain to the owner of the business. If he continues to allow that employee to make mistakes and STILL keeps them there then go elsewhere.
I have to deal with 8 different manufactuerers and ALL thier different product line. bikes, atv's sleds, PWC and power equipment. How am I suppose to know where every single part for ALL those products are? Agreed with the new microfische search it makes it a lot easier but there are even times where I am stuck and have to ask the customer. And sometimes the manufactuerer puts parts in places thats just stupid and it doesn't (in my mind) belong there.
Alaska has one of the lowest paying wages for powersports in the industry.....only place lower I know of is Montana. Perhaps if the owners of these businesses bucked up and paid people correctly to industry standards they could get more qualified people up there.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
A good partsman is worth their weight in gold. Most dealers (toy or otherwise) do not realize this. Some do and pay them well. Most will make half of what a wrench makes at the same dealer. That is a real shame. You just can not keep someone that is worth a da@@ if they can't feed the family. But that said, customer service is not just at a parts counter, it is in many places in life. Ask a waitress, It isn't always the hot one that makes the most in tips. It's the one that remebers your name the next time you walk in and knows what your order is going to be before you open your mouth. Some of these "parts guys" out to have to live off their tips! Some would thrive, most would starve:D

Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
A good partsman is worth their weight in gold. Most dealers (toy or otherwise) do not realize this. Some do and pay them well. Most will make half of what a wrench makes at the same dealer. That is a real shame. You just can not keep someone that is worth a da@@ if they can't feed the family. But that said, customer service is not just at a parts counter, it is in many places in life. Ask a waitress, It isn't always the hot one that makes the most in tips. It's the one that remebers your name the next time you walk in and knows what your order is going to be before you open your mouth. Some of these "parts guys" out to have to live off their tips! Some would thrive, most would starve:D

EXACTLY!
I like to look out for my customers best interests. This way they will come back to me and know they can trust me. I don't know HOW many times people have come in looking to set thier kids up with COOL riding gear but go for the cheap helmet and boots. I explain to them....A good helmet and boots will not only possibly save your kids life but protect them. You can get cheaper gloves, shirts, pants as these are just bling but a good helmet and boots are a MUST for protection. I'd rather loose money then see a kid wearing inferior helmet and boots.
A great tech is also hard to find in Alaska. They are there but far and few inbetween.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
More Rum

:face-icon-small-shoWell has everybody got this out of their system??? Done ranting and raving??? Ready to ride???? OK then, lets ride!!!!!:camera:
picture.php
:face-icon-small-sho

Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
Cat in Anchorage has excellent staff. Chad always knows what i need and gets what i want.

But as you well know there are people here who would disagree with you
Are you talking about Chad Ebert? He no longer works there and lives out of state....Unless there is another Chad that works there now

M
Nov 27, 2007
Mulletville, AK.
Thanks Yajustneverknow

After the two weeks I've had? you might be right!
Don't blame the parts people. Don't blame the service department......the blame should be squarely put on the owners of these dealerships for not hiring the right people to over see the departments or not paying people enough money to get qualified people.
Customers also have to understand that sometimes things are out of the dealerships control. I order the part but if it's on back order how is that my fault? I sympathize with the customer because I myself have been in the SAME situation but who gets the crap for it? I do. Well take it off the machine!!! Well then I have a 10,000 sled sitting in my place I cannot sell that I do not even own.......the bank does and I have to pay flooring on it while it just sits there waiting for a part that's on BO.
I've placed orders thorugh the website to a manufactuer and reading it from my side it said order "submitted" . Placed these orders for the week and when parts didn't come I called....where are my parts? Manufactuer says WHAT PARTS? ......Who do the customers blame? That's why I'm saying, sit in my chair for awhile and see how fun it is.
I love the industry I work in, I really do or I wouldn't have been doing it for as long as I have.
When I or one of my employees make a mistake I fess up to it. I apologize for the mistake and do everything I can to correct the situation no matter the cost. If that means red labeling a 40 pound part and costing me 120.00 to get it there I will and have done so.
There is no doubt that there are some crappy dealership owners out there. There are some crappy dealership employees as well. But sometime **** happens thats out of our control. Like I said above.....All the blame should start and end with the owner. Don't like the parts counter guy who's doing a crappy job? Thats the owners fault for not having a parts manager with enough sense and balls to can the guy.
My biggest rant is over what people ***** about up in Alaska. It costs more to do business up there. I hear people complain about a 100 tune up when the same tune up in say Oregon would cost you 200 and they don't bat an eyelash. People complain about the cost of parts and the amount of time it takes to get them. Yeah well your parts are going to be cheaper and quicker if your in Seattle and the warehouse is in Portland.....see where I'm going with this?

It is good for people to have perspective from both sides of the parts counter. All dealers have unhappy customers at some point (rightfully so) and a higher pay scale would go a long way in improving sales, parts and service here in Alaska.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
I think everyone can agree that knowledge is king and when there is a serious lack of knowledge behind the counter there is a big problem with the dealership, how can you have a parts guy who doesn't know what a cir-clip is. Oh the guy complaining about how hard it is running a dealership wanting sympathy about how you can't remember what part goes where and what machine has what, well quit then. I love riding sleds and wrenching on them as well so a day talking or wrenching on sleds never feels like work to me it's a passion I feel the same way about welding so that's what I do for a living.

Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
I think everyone can agree that knowledge is king and when there is a serious lack of knowledge behind the counter there is a big problem with the dealership, how can you have a parts guy who doesn't know what a cir-clip is. Oh the guy complaining about how hard it is running a dealership wanting sympathy about how you can't remember what part goes where and what machine has what, well quit then. I love riding sleds and wrenching on them as well so a day talking or wrenching on sleds never feels like work to me it's a passion I feel the same way about welding so that's what I do for a living.

The lack of knowledge behind a counter begins with the parts manager. Parts manager needs to train his staff so they have a clue before being cut loose behind the counter. People have to be trained. I didn't wake up with the knowledge I have just like you didn't walk into welding and know it all. There maybe motorcycle mechanics schools out there but there are NONE out there to learn parts. At least none that I'm aware of.

I never said I run a dealership. I run a parts department. And yea...I do not know where every single part goes for every single thing I carry. If you were in the business you'd understand. I have a pretty good idea where everything is but if someone says they know everything they are flat lying.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I've been on both sides of the counter...and both sides of this arguement.

I've given a parts guy the correct part number, name of the part, and the old part to compare to....and he still came back with the wrong part (harley outhouse). So I understand the frustration.

But I also understand the lack of knowledge/training most parts guys have....We are all into sleds...and you probably know every part on your sled. I do...cause I've replaced them all at one point. But the guy behind the counter might not know your sled because he rides something different...or god fobid he doesn't ride. I only ride sleds...so when someone came into the dealership asking about parts for their dirtbike/quad/or side by side it took my longer to find what they wanted then it would for someone with a sled.

As mentioned...there is no training for most parts guys. I was shown how to ring up parts and then given my first customer...I continued learning the computer and parts system up until the day I left. As a result I'm more patient at dealerships now.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Heres what I do to make it easier on the parts guy. I look at the microfiche online and get the part numbers my self than I call the dealer and see if they have the part. It saves alot of time and frustration.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Heres what I do to make it easier on the parts guy. I look at the microfiche online and get the part numbers my self than I call the dealer and see if they have the part. It saves alot of time and frustration.

That's what I try to do also. I've just gotten used to having to order every part that I need.

Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
I've been on both sides of the counter...and both sides of this arguement.

I've given a parts guy the correct part number, name of the part, and the old part to compare to....and he still came back with the wrong part (harley outhouse). So I understand the frustration.

But I also understand the lack of knowledge/training most parts guys have....We are all into sleds...and you probably know every part on your sled. I do...cause I've replaced them all at one point. But the guy behind the counter might not know your sled because he rides something different...or god fobid he doesn't ride. I only ride sleds...so when someone came into the dealership asking about parts for their dirtbike/quad/or side by side it took my longer to find what they wanted then it would for someone with a sled.

As mentioned...there is no training for most parts guys. I was shown how to ring up parts and then given my first customer...I continued learning the computer and parts system up until the day I left. As a result I'm more patient at dealerships now.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!
I couldn't agree more!

Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
That's what I try to do also. I've just gotten used to having to order every part that I need.

Personally, I do not stock any part I do not sell more then 3 times a year. If I sell 4 or more a year I try to keep it in stock. Helps keep my inventory lower and the money turning. I get a kick outta guys who get mad because we do not stock pistons and rings for his old puma! :eek:

I also give the customers who order from my website a 20% break on the cost of parts because they are doing the work and not my parts guys.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Personally, I do not stock any part I do not sell more then 3 times a year. If I sell 4 or more a year I try to keep it in stock. Helps keep my inventory lower and the money turning. I get a kick outta guys who get mad because we do not stock pistons and rings for his old puma! :eek:

I also give the customers who order from my website a 20% break on the cost of parts because they are doing the work and not my parts guys.

All my toys a new (less than 3 yrs old) I've had to order everything from axles on 4 wheeler's to a-arms on sleds. I have a shock at the dealer that's been there for damn near a month because they can't seem to get the right seal kit. Everything has to be ordered! :p

I only get 10% at the dealer here, what's the website and will ya ship free to Ak? :D

I
Nov 26, 2007

That's appreciated, believe me. Right until the customer gets pissed because you ordered the part number they gave you...which wasn't for the part they wanted.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Those customers better double check the sales guy ordered the right part Then.

Premium Features