• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
3rd ride on my Assauly 850. Not sure wtf happened. Started from garage (not heated) and put it into my truck. Started right up as usual.

Drove 20 min to location and sled would not start. Plugs dripping wet. Pulled plugs and pulled over engine multiple times to clear fuel out of engine. Dried plugs off and finally got it going. It ran like a bag for a few minutes until i cleared it up.

After about 15 minutes, I took off from a stop about 1/4 throttle and sled shut right off and died. I almost flew over handle bars. Engine feels tight when trying to turn over and started it but shut it right off. Sounds like something bad in the bottom end (crank bearings?)

Has anyone ever seen this or heard of this? Sled has 80 miles on it 91 octane only VES Extreme and has not been beat on and following proper break in procedure.

Pulled plugs after I got towed back to the truck and they look slightly tan.

Thoughts?

Being this is your thread, did you get your questions/thoughts all answered? :face-icon-small-ton

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Mods clean up this thread please. If you clowns wanna talk about car dealerships, costs, walmart etc start your own thread.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'll let you know what we decide to do. :)

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It's a great thread....feels like the forums years ago. There's a lot of chatter, but there's also a lot more tech info than most threads (what can should I buy?)

Perhaps the fact that there's more general discussion posts than blown up sled posts speaks to this not being an epidemic level issue? It seems most of the affected machines are failing very early, with very similar circumstances. But it does seem to be much more limited than widespread...? Unless I'm crazy

0 failures is ideal of course.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It's a great thread....feels like the forums years ago. There's a lot of chatter, but there's also a lot more tech info than most threads (what can should I buy?)

Perhaps the fact that there's more general discussion posts than blown up sled posts speaks to this not being an epidemic level issue? It seems most of the affected machines are failing very early, with very similar circumstances. But it does seem to be much more limited than widespread...? Unless I'm crazy

0 failures is ideal of course.

Is that a vote to separate the "dealer" discussion from the original topic or are you just thinking out loud? :)

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I'll let you know what we decide to do. :)

I’ve enjoyed reading and following this thread from the start.

IMHO it all goes together. For instance, how Polaris has had a history of unreliable 800’s and this was finally suppose to be it. Lessons learned from all there mistakes. 4 years in development even. So many people wanted to believe this was it.

So what have we learned?

Right out of the gate there’s bearing walk issues due to a engineering short sightedness. For which there band aid is loc tite.

The center bearing is not properly lubed.

There honing process is sub par.

Oil lines are blowing off.

There seems to be some kinda cooling issue as well.

Now I’ve learned from this thread all that plus how/what it takes to get those fixes done right. I’ve also learned how these problems are mostly going to hit dealers hard and what that effect can have on the sport that I love.

I’m not very opinionated but I do like information and taking in information from all different sides to come up with my own conclusion. I feel like this thread covers all that better then anywhere else, Facebook, other forums etc.

Yeah maybe there should be a separate thread for peoples opionions on dealer issues but one could also argue maybe there should be separate threads for all the different 840 issues like crank walk, center bearing, oil lines, cooling, or piston life. I got an idea, let’s take up another 50-60 posts on this thread talking about that! :juggle:

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Here is what I think based on information (not from this thread)

1)The bearing is secure and will be fine IF it was assembled with the spacer properly. If you have over 100 miles on your engine, the bearing is not going to walk and seize

2) The honing process is fine and will not be causing any piston failures. you can NOT feel any hone marks with your nail nor is the plating sub-par.

3) The oil line issue, may be a valid one and one for concern. Concern in and that it will make a serious oil mess in your sled. It should not cause engine failure because the mess will be spotted before you can have any failure.

Ride and enjoy your sled, it is the most powerful twin Polaris has ever produced. It runs very well.

IF it fails, you have warranty and if it don't then you have this crazy thread reference.

IMO, this engine is going to be fine (especially in 2020) and it is screaming for a big bore to make it really shine!

Last edited:

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
No disrespect to anyone but could we please stay on topic!! I have a new 850 and I am following this thread to find out about the motor issues. If you want to discuss how much a dealer makes or doesn't make or what "side" you are on. PLEASE start a new thread. I prefer not to have to sort thru all the stupid BS that has nothing to do with the original topic!! Thank you. rant over, I'll now hop off my soapbox.
<div>Right on! It would be nice if the moderators could clean up this thread a little bit and get it back on topic. Getting a little rediculous</div>

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I have an update on my 850 that I posted about earlier in this thread. At the time I has 10.7 hours and had oil leakage on my sled. It turns out it was not the PTO oil line, it was the oil line to the waterpump cavity. oil was also getting past a seal in the waterpump allowing it to drip out of the coolant weep hole i believe. I personally was allowed to inspect the crank and bearings. Everything looked good. There was no debris clogging the fittings.... So Polaris martching orders was to re assemble the engine WITH LOCK TIGHT on the PTO bearing, install new seal, and run the unit. The dealer pulled the bottom case off without disasembling the top end so I was not able to give the top end a thurough inspection, but the bit I could see all looked normal. My motor was on the bench next to another 850 that had the PTO bearing contact the crank web at about 4 miles. I do not know what they ended up doing with that motor, but my dealership said for whatever reason said that historicaly, they almost never get motors from Polaris and end up re building everything, which i found interesting given how many people seem to get crate motors after large failures. Im not exactly how I feel about my motor at this point, but I like knowing the bearing is not likely secure, though it was probably fine as it was. Inspection of the crank and seeing no damage was hopefully a good sign and I can understand in my case why they are fixing my engine, but it is also frustrating not knowing a reason why the oil line came off. All fittings and check vavles were flowing properly when tested on the bench

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
That was great info. Even better that Polaris is an open book by letting you physically see the engine. Right on Polaris.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
That was great info. Even better that Polaris is an open book by letting you physically see the engine. Right on Polaris.

If Polaris was an open book they would have gone public with fixes and intent. The guy has a good dealer that let him look, doesn't have a damn thing to do with Polaris being good guys, if in fact they are...

B

brett soluk

Oct 19, 2016
My sled is at the dealer for the same reason at TheBreeze’s sled. My dealer tested flow through the check valves and that’s it. They didn’t inspect the crank/bearings. Just put hose back on and told me don’t worry about it I have 4 year warranty.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
This is the best thread to come along on SnoWest in years. It’s like a conversation. You start talking about one thing, move on to something else, then go back to the first thing. Some people have strong opinions, some are more knowledgeable than others, others are happy to learn. Everyone is free to have their own opinion and voice it or not. This thread is a good sign for the health of this forum. It’s what SnoWest used to be like.

My sled is running great so far with 16 hours (not completely out of break in mode). I really want it to hang a beating on the ski doo though. So far it has not. POLARIS, THIS THING NEEDS TO WHALE ON THE SKI DOO IN HILLCLIMBING! If it doesn’t, it’s ridiculous. Why produce a new sled to be in second place?

Y
Dec 15, 2009
shuswap
Here is what I think based on information (not from this thread)

1)The bearing is secure and will be fine IF it was assembled with the spacer properly. If you have over 100 miles on your engine, the bearing is not going to walk and seize

2) The honing process is fine and will not be causing any piston failures. you can NOT feel any hone marks with your nail nor is the plating sub-par.

3) The oil line issue, may be a valid one and one for concern. Concern in and that it will make a serious oil mess in your sled. It should not cause engine failure because the mess will be spotted before you can have any failure.

Ride and enjoy your sled, it is the most powerful twin Polaris has ever produced. It runs very well.

IF it fails, you have warranty and if it don't then you have this crazy thread reference.

IMO, this engine is going to be fine (especially in 2020) and it is screaming for a big bore to make it really shine!

Does your warranty cover a Helli ride out?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I think that if the thread is moderated for content, then it should also be moderated for childish name-calling and insults.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
My motor was on the bench next to another 850 that had the PTO bearing contact the crank web at about 4 miles. I do not know what they ended up doing with that motor,

My dad was out there today and talked to this guy as he was loading his sled. Pretty sure he said Polaris sent him a new crank and they rebuilt it.

Last edited:
Premium Features