• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
The 850 engine sounds like it is lazy in the midrange. Kinda like it’s gulping for air or the motor is tight. Not really snappy. I haven’t heard one that is snappy yet.

I've got a snappy one - especially for only have a couple hours on it. But..... running SLP clutch kit (spring and weights). The all stock one we have definitely feels different.

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
The 3lb heavier crank and 4 gram heavier weights take some of the initial snap feel out of it to. The first thing I noticed on every turbo sled iv owned/rode was the reduced snap from trying to spin up the heavier weights.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The 3lb heavier crank and 4 gram heavier weights take some of the initial snap feel out of it to. The first thing I noticed on every turbo sled iv owned/rode was the reduced snap from trying to spin up the heavier weights.

What is the best way to get around this? Slightly higher engagement? Different weights? Different helix?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Why is everyone ignoring the center bearing seizures?
They are more of a concern that the cylinders.
It is happening already.
Someone has to know why or at least have an idea as to why.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
What is the best way to get around this? Slightly higher engagement? Different weights? Different helix?

Higher engagement will make it less noticeable but is not ideal on a MTN sled, you don't want it trenching every time you take off. The adjustable weights will help as it changes the weight profile. A stiffer finish rate on the primary will also allow for less clutch weight. The trick is to make these changes without the clutches getting to hot or not shifting properly.

Last edited:

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Why is everyone ignoring the center bearing seizures?
They are more of a concern that the cylinders.
It is happening already.
Someone has to know why or at least have an idea as to why.

I'm not sure there is cause for panic on a few seizures this early.

Any bearing failure, center, outside, or big end bearing, is ,usually, the direct result of oil starvation or simply a sub-standard bearing.

Time will tell soon enough if this is an epidemic.

For now, I'm riding mine . If it let's me down, then it's under warranty.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I'm not sure there is cause for panic on a few seizures this early.

Any bearing failure, center, outside, or big end bearing, is ,usually, the direct result of oil starvation or simply a sub-standard bearing.

Time will tell soon enough if this is an epidemic.

For now, I'm riding mine . If it let's me down, then it's under warranty.
Thanks,
I don't mean to make a big deal about it.
But would like a discussion about it, some investigation.
Everyone has ignored it but from what i have read, i believe there are more engines down with the center bearing seizure than PTO seizure.
By no means an epidemic.

I guess i will shut up now and just wait, watch, and listen.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
There was bulletin put out that group a problem

And they wrapped the 600, 800 & 850 all together

We have never heard of oil lines popping off 600, or 800's ever

These are smoke and mirror tactics to get people to stop driving them.

Why just ask people to stop driving them ?

Dan

The no ride bulletins in the RZR world were very common and made plenty of people upset, I agree that this might be a more subtle way of telling customers "in a nice caring way" to bring your new sled in and well check it out for ya!

I dont have exact figures, but I put way more miles on my XPT than my sleds and spend way more money on it as well. The STOP RIDING IMMEDIATELY on your new 25K dollar machine is never what anyone wants to hear (even if theres a chance of it burning to the ground)

I think polaris learned something from that experience!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Also im assuming that the 850's have the check valve built into them like previous years? So in theory crankcase pressure "cant" push the lines off.

The center bearing failure sleds has it been confirmed that the lines were off that would have obviously led to the bearings demise?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Also im assuming that the 850's have the check valve built into them like previous years? So in theory crankcase pressure "cant" push the lines off.

The center bearing failure sleds has it been confirmed that the lines were off that would have obviously led to the bearings demise?

The 2 I have seen with the center bearing failure had oil lines intact.

S
Dec 31, 2016
Click on picture attachments below

And here is what is happening to the 850 PTO bearings

Look close at the pictures and you can see where the PTO bearing moves inward until the Outside diameter hits the spinning crankshaft PTO wheel
and then locks the motor.

What about the MAG side bearing? Could this one also start moving and causing lock up?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I heard that snowmobiler's grammas' grandson's brother's dad's son's sister in law just blew up an 850. Before it left the dealership. In the crate. I also heard that it had T-Motion on it. It may be an epidemic. It is supposed to be delivered in January.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I heard that snowmobiler's grammas' grandson's brother's dad's son's sister in law just blew up an 850. Before it left the dealership. In the crate. I also heard that it had T-Motion on it. It may be an epidemic. It is supposed to be delivered in January.
With out working shot.....

Premium Features