• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
crankcase compression might be blowing oil lines off.

If that was the case, wouldn't every oil injected Polaris engine running a turbo blow all of the oil lines off?

My '16 800 has seen 7.5psig of boost and all of my oil lines are still on???? Granted, I made sure all of the oil lines were fully installed on the barbed fitting with the small clamps when I assembled the engine to go back into the chassis.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
And why has the floating bearing not been detramental on the previous polaris engines. I have a hard time believing if the cases are machined with the correct amount of crush that the bearing will move. I believe it would be easy to install wrong without having some sort of locating pin or retaining ring. This has been one of the most informative threads to date but trying to use the information to form my own theory and like stated above I don't believe the bearing could move if all the machining is correct.

Polaris has never before used a ( floating PTO bearing )

Cat uses a locator pin

Cat uses a inner race ( nothing similar on the cat you can compare to the way Polaris did it )

Polaris runs the rollers on the production model right on the crank itself ( no inner race ) nobody that I know has ever done this without a locker.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
If this floating crank bearing was this bad. Why didn't it show up in the preproduction motors that were running around last year. Some guys ran the 850 for a full season last year under cover?

How do you that the proto-types were running the current production set up ?

Is it possible that in fact some of the proto-types ( had 2 PTO bearings ) ?

Maybe set up with the inner one pressed on..... And the outer a roller with an inner race ?

Is it possible Polaris ran a big bearing like this one with an inner race ?

Do you know these things ?

Do you know if there were test motors that pushed the PTO seal out far enough that the bearing covered the oil hole ? Followed by the line blowing off ?

Dan

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i red somewhere other lines are coming off too?under throttle body.that might be fake news

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013

Maybe set up with the inner one pressed on..... And the outer a roller with an inner race ?

Do you know if there were test motors that pushed the PTO seal out far enough to the bearing cover the oil hole ? Followed by the line blowing off ?

Dan

Polaris does have a history of changing designs before production.

I know this for sure because I fixed their 2013 Drive shaft issue for them that was no way tested in pre-production running.

They still utilize my fix for that, to this day rather, than change the design to a better design (which is what I would have done).

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND

Do you know if there were test motors that pushed the PTO seal out far enough that the bearing covered the oil hole ? Followed by the line blowing off ?

Dan

I know of two 850 that had many test miles on them. I did not tear them down to inspect and see what was there. Did you? How do we know they changed production run unless someone has one to inspect. I will see how mine runs after breakin. I will not this info bother me as I'm going to ride and have fun till it stops. I have another theory on seized crank bearing in first fifty miles. Air pockets in oil lines mine has oil mixed in the gas tank as always. I use non synthetic for mixing also.

Last edited:
M
Dec 11, 2018
There was bulletin put out that group a problem

And they wrapped the 600, 800 & 850 all together

We have never heard of oil lines popping off 600, or 800's ever

These are smoke and mirror tactics to get people to stop driving them.

Why just ask people to stop driving them ?

Dan

See below attachment for what Dan is talking about.

F9D6D8EA-9BBF-463D-9900-0119D2F7289F.jpeg

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I know of two 850 that had many test miles on them. I did not tear them down to inspect and see what was there. Did you? How do we know they changed production run unless someone has one to inspect. I will see how mine runs after breakin. I will not this info bother me as I'm going to ride and have fun till it stops. I have another theory on seized crank bearing in first fifty miles. Air pockets in oil lines mine has oil mixed in the gas tank as always. I use non synthetic for mixing also.

The injectors are located in the boost port, so you can put as much oil as you want in the gas tank and there's no possible way you will get that oil to your crank bearings.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The 850 engine sounds like it is lazy in the midrange. Kinda like it’s gulping for air or the motor is tight. Not really snappy. I haven’t heard one that is snappy yet.
Dan do you think this is a characteristic of the motor or is it the clutching?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The injectors are located in the boost port, so you can put as much oil as you want in the gas tank and there's no possible way you will get that oil to your crank bearings.

Where does the gas go on a flooded engine then?

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Where does the gas go on a flooded engine then?

Well when the spark plug fouls from too much fuel then the fuel is going to run back down to boost port and transfer ports into the crankcase, but otherwise this will not happen.

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
Polaris does have a history of changing designs before production.

I know this for sure because I fixed their 2013 Drive shaft issue for them that was no way tested in pre-production running.

They still utilize my fix for that, to this day rather, than change the design to a better design (which is what I would have done).

Your fix lol..

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Polaris has never before used a ( floating PTO bearing )

Cat uses a locator pin

Cat uses a inner race ( nothing similar on the cat you can compare to the way Polaris did it )

Polaris runs the rollers on the production model right on the crank itself ( no inner race ) nobody that I know has ever done this without a locker.

Dan

Looks like Ski-doo does it but with the locking ring.

post-105883-0-15752100-1545596188.jpg

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Kelsey was the first to release a fix for the 2013 pro drive shaft issue.

Yes, Polaris bought my fix,tested it, and still uses it today on all Belt Drive sleds.

Maybe Chrisco, will have to switch brands now, knowing this information?:face-icon-small-hap

But that was not the point of the post. The point was that Polaris has made "un-tested" changes to the production line that was not in the pre-production testing.

Last edited:
Premium Features