• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
I wonder if the case halves are squeezing the center bearing to tight, similar to the first year 800R on the skidoos. May have been hoping the PTO bearing would stay in place with the tighter tolerances.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Dan, honest question. Can the PTO or any bearing in this 850 be installed backwards? I had some super secret reliable inside info a few weeks ago about a couple being installed backwards with very early failure. But now I am wondering if this was speculation and there was a migration issue like you are reporting.

Thoughts?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
With all of the testing that supposedly went on with this motor, how come this never clicked with anyone before? With such a low mile failure, shouldnt this have already shown up on some of the test sleds?

Remember the 900’s and 08 Dragons, Polaris claimed loads of testing and “real world” yada yada at the time of release on both of those. Did not work out too well, first hand knowledge on that front.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I wonder if the case halves are squeezing the center bearing to tight, similar to the first year 800R on the skidoos. May have been hoping the PTO bearing would stay in place with the tighter tolerances.

Center bearings locking up most often lead to cases with to much interference fit.

To much sealer really shouldn't plug anything.

To much sealer would give the bearings more clearance ( if allowed to dry before
The cases were assembled )

As far as the PTO bearing being installed backwards...... The few I have seen were the same both ways.

It's a plastic roller separator that is rubbing on the inner radius.

Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
ATTENTION MODERATORS

I got the big red thumb, bad rep for asking Addie to reply to my question.
It was from username indydansucks. What a dick! Maybe a mod should check into that. Shouldn’t be able to have a username that is degrading or slanders somebody. Especially someone as knowledgeable as Dan that is just trying to get some real info out to us. I, for one, appreciate all the time Indydan has taken to contribute info on this forum. Thanks Dan!

Hey Cat, that user name ( indydansucks ) bashed me 15 times on this thread. I think that's the first time in 11 years I ever got a thumbs down. ( I am emotionally crushed ) NOT !!!

Hey moderators...... Can one of you take a peak at who this gutless piss any other is and post his name and location ( and his other user name )

And all his slams can stay I really don't care...... If we get his name.

If we can't get his name and location then the bad feed back should be erased from this prick.

Dan

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Haha. It’s definitely not the drop in kit man.

There’s not enough anger pouring out in the words and the infamous .... ...... ... ..... after each sentence......

Haha.

He's from the Rockland, Idaho area.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Curious how this will pan out for Poo. I believe it was posted that anyone who puts 3000 miles on their sled this year will experiences a failure?
That is the standard for Poo engines and has been for a long time?

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Sorry, there is a lot of great info in this thread and I get sick and tired of that guy coming in this section stirring the pot. Anyone who reads these posts and is on snowest almost year around like me knows this guy is only in the polaris sub forum to start $h!t. I have a good friend that bought an 850 and am interested to see what becomes of these issues not listen to that moron. Thank you Indy Dan for taking the time to inform all of us of the issues you are seeing. I can attest that your work is second to non as you made my old big block 800 mod live a long happy life. Keep up the good work and thanks again for you time and knowledge.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I wonder if the missing snowchecks
Have something to do with this issue..
Maybe Poo is silently getting ahead of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
I just read this whole thread backwards, just went to the last post, got hooked and kept reading and all I can say is OUTSTANDING. Threads like this are the reason I’m a member of snowest. Dan someday I got to meet you, the drinks are on me. It’s plain to me you know what your talking about, don’t know why you waste your time explaining it to others but I’m glad you do. Reading it backwards let me see who was actually figuring this thing out and who was just running their mouth off. Really no surprises. TRS goes through engines by the bag full? I get it. IndyDan knows how to troubleshoot and fix them? I think he does and if you don’t, well results speak for themselves. It’s going to be an interesting year watching the new 850’s I’m still running the old 800 BB’s so Polaris sleds with bad pto bearings? hell this is just like coming home. :face-icon-small-hap

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Click on picture attachments below

And here is what is happening to the 850 PTO bearings

Look close at the pictures and you can see where the PTO bearing moves inward until the Outside diameter hits the spinning crankshaft PTO wheel
and then locks the motor.

If all the 850's have a float PTO bearing which they most likely all do it will be a 100% full recall.

Dan

Dan, Thank you for all your input, and for documentation (pics) of whats going on. This is what many of us were looking/waiting for was the inside look of whats going on with a damaged engine. Please keep us informed on helpful solutions. A side note, I know your answering threads as fast as you can while trying to figure out real world solutions but take a breath and take your time. Your reputation is worth it.
I dont think his excellent reputation on clutch machining is even brought up on this thread but thats another story!

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Ohhhhh !!! Polaris knows all about this

And you can bet your butts they are holding sleds up.

The whole honing deal was smoke and mirrors ( It's all true ) the finish is Sub par to my standards.

That will be way down the road for most people. ( Only hard riders like TRS Tony ) will see the problems with that this year.

But that doesn't mean chit to Polaris right now....

I needed this thread to get massive before I got into the crankshaft PTO bearing deal, and the center oil cavity problems to come.

These failures started many many weeks ago...... And I knew if i tired to start a new thread about it the powers that be would have it pulled.

Now there is to many eyes for that to happen.

I wil be staying at the for front of this........

As Jay says......... Quote " This is like coming home " end quote. ( PTO bearing trouble at Polaris is like coming home )

Tomorrow I will let everyone know why their oil lines are popping off on some sleds.

Note - if any of your oil lines pop off........ Don't think for one minute you can put it back on and ride it home.

If the oil line pops off the motor has to come apart.... Period.

Dan

Last edited:
Premium Features