• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I can agree with most of what you say.

What is not agreeable is that you know how much experience myself or anybody else has with engines. You do not know any history and to state that Dan has more than myself or anybody else is nothing more than pure speculation on your part.
Dan,admittently, screwed up and paid the price for it. what that means is that he did not have the experience and knowledge he thought he did, hence the costly mistake. He put out a product(s) that was not ready or sufficient and it failed.

So, he, like anybody with a brain, learned from it and made adjustments and stored the knowledge to be used.

So, again, is Dan the only person that has made a mistake and benefitted from the knowledge learned from it? NO! We have all had that happen.
Here again you are assuming that none of us have any experience and that Dan is the only one who has this experience. This assumption would be totally wrong in many cases and especially with regards to myself.

Point being, there are many others who have the knowledge and experience (real world and academic) to support their postings. Just like Dan. Discounting their information is doing a dis-service IMO to the readers.

In short, Dan's experiences are valid, but so are others. Why put one's experiences above anothers simply because he has a following on this forum? Just sayin.

As far as him not bein arrogant, that is a tough one. If anybody else came on here ans spouted off with how great they were and how nobody knows as much as they do, they would be considered arrogant by any standard. I think this reverts back to the following on the forum?
Add in the snarky remarks against myself, same thing, an arrogance call is justified. Sometimes it is hard to see you friends or mentors for who they really are. That being said, arrogance is not always a bad thing, but supporting it can be.

Back on topic. The hone finish is not going to cause early piston failure. If early piston failure becomes common, IMO, it is not because of the hone finish (this is from lots of experience as well)

Cheers

Well said and Calmly put.

I agree more opinions are always great to have....most everytime.

But once and awhile you run into a situation where one person just so happens to have so much in field experince he can not be out flanked.

When it comes to plated silicon carbide cylinder finishing i can't imagine there even being a person that has seen more then i have. ( think about it ....Honing is not a very exciting field )

Sorry i got a little blunt but i have a business to run and this was going no where slowly.

Cheers

Dan

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Well said and Calmly put.

I agree more opinions are always great to have....most everytime.

But once and awhile you run into a situation where one person just so happens to have so much in field experince he can not be out flanked.

When it comes to plated silicon carbide cylinder finishing i can't imagine there even being a person that has seen more then i have. ( think about it ....Honing is not a very exciting field )

Sorry i got a little blunt but i have a business to run and this was going no where slowly.

Cheers

Dan

Dan, I hope you realize there are others that also have "so much" experience in the field and are also hard to be "out flanked"?

While your experiences are valid, so are others. Why discount them simply because they do not agree with yours?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Dan, I hope you realize there are others that also have "so much" experience in the field and are also hard to be "out flanked"?

While your experiences are valid, so are others. Why discount them simply because they do not agree with yours?

Well Dan has listed where, and how he came about his experience. Can you fill us in on all of your experience? If you did maybe it would give you more credibility.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Dan's following on this forum is due to his service, background, and real world knowledge.

Addie....what is yours ? Hard to assume anything when you have not disclosed what it is that you do ? (Or did do)
Why so stealthy ? Other than your sled is an XM

Edit....Whoops, did not see the above posts while posting.

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com

I am not discounting anyone on this thread except you for the most part.

You have been wrong about everything on the honing topic.

give out valid info that these people can beleive and you will be fine.

As i said...... move on to the bearing problems.

I will have the PTO bearing problem solved by the end of the day today.

And I will post picture of the proof tomorrow.

The entire stay at Polaris all added together could not pull that off in a month.

Hell it might take them 3 months to get a custom lock ring bearing made with a 80mm O.D. x 49.45mm I.D. with a lock ring. ( trust me you will not find that bearing at Grainger )

Then you have to machine all the cases to except the lock ring.

Its killing me not to post the pictures tonight.

Dan

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership

No matter how many people tell me the world is flat, I will not believe them.

Let's get this thread back on track. If Addie and Dan want to have a slugfest we can start a new thread.

We are waiting for the OP to report his personal findings. Back to topic....

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Yes first post. First time riding a Polaris product. I will get some pics tomorrow at my dealership.

Help us get your thread back on track...... photos?....

update:

Sled at the shop. Polaris requested computer data. Everything looked fine except for low voltage ECM code.

Asked to look at reeds and crank. Noticed metal in bottom end and waiting to hear back from Polaris on how they want us to proceed. I hope they send a new crate motor :face-icon-small-con

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
ok i can't take it pictures coming now.

I attached just a few picture so you can see what went on today while ADDIE was bothering me with details about honing we have moved on from.

See attachments.

i didn't attach the 850 PTO bearing beforwe machining without the groove.

As we speak we are machining fixtures to hold the crankcase to except the new lock ring bearing.

This is an easy fix.

Mark my word the 850 is a GREAT motor..... us Polaris guys are use to a few engineers asleep at the desk.

Dan

New 850 bearing machine in two peices to check thickness.JPG 850 PTO bearing fresh machined groove.JPG 850 pto bearing with lock ring installed.JPG

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hi Polaris engineers. Your mountain sled gearing is way too high. The clutches rarely get to 1-1 and only half the clutch sheave is being used. Please make a chaincase big enough to accept 19/55 gears. Thx

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Locked 850 PTO bearing

Click on picture attachments below

And here is what is happening to the 850 PTO bearings

Look close at the pictures and you can see where the PTO bearing moves inward until the Outside diameter hits the spinning crankshaft PTO wheel
and then locks the motor.

If all the 850's have a float PTO bearing which they most likely all do it will be a 100% full recall.

Dan

850 PTO bearing friction welded to crankwheel.jpg New 850 Locked up PTO bearing.jpg

Premium Features