• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 Issues Thread

C
Apr 11, 2017
Minnesota
I got my 2020 Khaos 850 broken in this past weekend. Ran pretty good for the first 0-50ish Miles. I felt it doing it’s break in process, so I was very anxious to see what it felt like after break in. Started the next day off pretty strong until about mid day it started to bog a few times on me bad. Checked the plugs of course right away, the one side was golden brown but the other side was soaked in oil. Swapped plugs out for some fresh ones. Ran amazing after than until the later part of the day and I got a few more bogs. Heading home today and will check plugs again. Motors all stock with Indy dans clutch weights. Rpms were spot on.
Well after another weekend in the books. My Khaos is well through break in now. I have around 14 hours on it. Still continuing to bog but not nearly as bad as during break in. Bringing it in to the dealer tonight. Will report back after their findings. When the sled didn’t bog, man did it feel good, a lot more torquey than my 800! On the trail getting to the spot it wouldn’t bog at all but the minute it got off trail and underload you can just tell it’s building up. Also my front shock in the rear skid is leaking oil all over, the chamber seems to be spinning freely all the way around. I have not done any big jumping, I was wondering if the dealer could of installed that shock the wrong direction and it got hung up on the track??

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
Funny you should mention the thing about the shocks leaking oil from the piggyback chamber being loose. I took a look at a brand new Khaos on the showroom floor at my dealer, noticed oil all over of the front shocks, wiggled it around a bit and the piggyback chamber seemed very loose, could spin it back several millimeter to each side with allmost no effort.

Will be interesting to see what they find is the issue with your shock.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Had a weird issue today with my Khaos. I also felt it for a bit on a couple or earlier rides. We were heading home and had a bit of a trail ride to get back and the motor felt like it would lose power and it wasnt as snappy. Normally it will rev to 83-8400 but when this would happen it would barely go to 8k. The engine also ran about 25 degrees warmer when this was going on. There was no bog and no codes popped up on the screen. At first it would come and go but it stayed for a while at the end. It was almost like keeping it at mid throttle for extended periods of time would cause it. I have heard about the wires on the temp sensor being tie wrapped too tight but I didnt get any codes and the cold engine warning did not come on. Anyone else experience anything like this?

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Interesting.... I don't know anything firsthand, but someone the other day mentioned that there are a couple 850's they know of that are seeing some poor RPM performance all of a sudden. I chalked it up to rumor or people doing something weird, but seems similar to what you are sharing.

Had a weird issue today with my Khaos. I also felt it for a bit on a couple or earlier rides. We were heading home and had a bit of a trail ride to get back and the motor felt like it would lose power and it wasnt as snappy. Normally it will rev to 83-8400 but when this would happen it would barely go to 8k. The engine also ran about 25 degrees warmer when this was going on. There was no bog and no codes popped up on the screen. At first it would come and go but it stayed for a while at the end. It was almost like keeping it at mid throttle for extended periods of time would cause it. I have heard about the wires on the temp sensor being tie wrapped too tight but I didnt get any codes and the cold engine warning did not come on. Anyone else experience anything like this?

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
18hrs on my 155 Quick Drive. Ride at 500-3500ft
Started with 72’ and it will hit 8350, may put 74’s in and get that down a bit, but worried it won’t be as quick revving like the 800 was.
2 sets of plugs so far.
Seems to pull harder than my 800, however run quality not as good. She burps every now and again, and fouls plugs only on Mag side when in tight trees and I let idle too long. Gonna try the iridium plugs see if it will help?
Notice that the pull cord skips a lot, might have to take apart and see what issue is, and need to remove the guide pulley. Cord starting to frey a bit...
Aldo Going to try a gear down, and get revs up in the trees so no fouling. Already bent a lower a arm, hit a shark riding out on a packed trail...go figure.
Need more seat time to really understand this motor...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: K45 and pepperhouse
G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Interesting.... I don't know anything firsthand, but someone the other day mentioned that there are a couple 850's they know of that are seeing some poor RPM performance all of a sudden. I chalked it up to rumor or people doing something weird, but seems similar to what you are sharing.
Took it out again yesterday and it worked perfectly. Although, I do have a hanging idle now when on and off the throttle in the trees. Need to keep that finger on the brake and pay attention.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
18hrs on my 155 Quick Drive. Ride at 500-3500ft
Started with 72’ and it will hit 8350, may put 74’s in and get that down a bit, but worried it won’t be as quick revving like the 800 was.
2 sets of plugs so far.
Seems to pull harder than my 800, however run quality not as good. She burps every now and again, and fouls plugs only on Mag side when in tight trees and I let idle too long. Gonna try the iridium plugs see if it will help?
Notice that the pull cord skips a lot, might have to take apart and see what issue is, and need to remove the guide pulley. Cord starting to frey a bit...
Aldo Going to try a gear down, and get revs up in the trees so no fouling. Already bent a lower a arm, hit a shark riding out on a packed trail...go figure.
Need more seat time to really understand this motor...
My pull rope skips and does some bizarre stuff occasionally as well. 800 miles so far though, and no actual issues. 2019.

Reactions: MDEVO

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
My 19 does the skip when pulling it over every now and then. Deal put a claim in, just waiting on polaris to reply.

Reactions: MDEVO

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Have about 400 on mine now. First 200 stock 200-400 Silber boosted. Last trip out check engine light went on, but still ran pretty well took it in and exhaust temp sensor was bad. Put a new one in and all is well.
Epic 280 162 is performing very well in Utah deep super powder snow.
TRS belt alignment before first ride and belt still looks perfect. Have Silber clutching in now and switching out to TRS clutching this week.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have the latest 2019 similar to 2020 flash in mine. Felt RPMs hanging on the trail after tightening my belt deflection. I got it too tight and was squealing. Backed it off a little and it seemed to reduce the RPM hang. Maybe it was coincidence? Also, I notice a little stammer at 6000-6200 RPM. Doesn't bog or really cause any grief but the tune vs power valves doesn't sound quite right. Definitely throw on a cobra pull cord!

C
Apr 11, 2017
Minnesota
I have the latest 2019 similar to 2020 flash in mine. Felt RPMs hanging on the trail after tightening my belt deflection. I got it too tight and was squealing. Backed it off a little and it seemed to reduce the RPM hang. Maybe it was coincidence? Also, I notice a little stammer at 6000-6200 RPM. Doesn't bog or really cause any grief but the tune vs power valves doesn't sound quite right. Definitely throw on a cobra pull cord!
Mine does that same exact thing at 6000 to 6200 rpms on the trail when just trying to cruise down the mountain...It’s not a full on bog but something’s definitely going on..

W

wweverett

Dec 3, 2007
SW colorado
Dealer replaced throttle cable on mine, 170 miles with new cable and no issues. Total 300+ miles and still running factory plugs. 17 hours out of break-in and it seems to run crisp and snappy.

• Sad
Reactions: mt.sledder

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
So I have a 2020 sba 850. Got about 20 miles on it if that. Noticed there was burnt oil in the belly pan. Took a pic and called the dealer. Said oh it's just the exhaust donut. Didnt seal. I was thinking theres no way a new sled should be leaking oil. So I decided to take it apart and lo and behold. Theres a pin hole in the y pipe coming off the engine. Best part is theres a 3 week wait minimum to get sled in and if they can even get the part yet. Pics are included.

Did you get any resolution on this? I’m having same issue on 2020 XCR. Lots of burnt oil in belly pan near / below exhaust donut. Thinking it was just extra oil from break in dripping out donut. So I dropped some dawn dish soap in there and rinsed it out with hot water at 4 hours. Rode 3 hours Sunday and burnt oil sludge returned. I looked carefully with inspection mirror but can’t see any cracks in manifold. I’m going to wait until break in period over before taking it apart. What was the lead time on manifold? I may just order one and swap on my own time. I’m not waiting on a dealer to ride.

05f00361dd2d48f4a9977274594f1430.jpg

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Did you get any resolution on this? I’m having same issue on 2020 XCR. Lots of burnt oil in belly pan near / below exhaust donut. Thinking it was just extra oil from break in dripping out donut. So I dropped some dawn dish soap in there and rinsed it out with hot water at 4 hours. Rode 3 hours Sunday and burnt oil sludge returned. I looked carefully with inspection mirror but can’t see any cracks in manifold. I’m going to wait until break in period over before taking it apart. What was the lead time on manifold? I may just order one and swap on my own time. I’m not waiting on a dealer to ride.

05f00361dd2d48f4a9977274594f1430.jpg

I always seal up the exhaust gaskets with high heat silicone. Just remove pipe and put a thin layer on the gaskets. Works like a charm, no mess in the belly pan afterwards.

• Love
Reactions: PaulAnd and kanedog

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I think my oil issue was just during break in. It was really eating oil and spitting it out. Seems to be significantly reduced after 10 hour mark. Annoying since its so close to drive belt. But not a show stopper yet.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
My 2020 xcr 850 with 14 hours went into full limp mode today. Add me to the temp sensor connection dud list.

I’m doing the solder to fix route for now. I don’t see how these cheap connectors could possibly last in the vibration environment.

Man I love the new technology but damn the bad quality! Small details that ruin a weekend ride are extremely annoying.

Doo connectors are better hands down.

Power is great when minor issues are gone.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
And WTH on the VES extreme oil? I think I’m switching back to VES Gold. This sh!t burns like crude oil.

66390226d2ed66a3ad001ba6c96cc2a7.jpg

ff099249b0d5a14dc5f9ff108bfcf5bc.jpg

Premium Features