• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Snowy Range Snow Conditions

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Pretty sure I read they didn’t need any medical attention. Amazing.

Looking at the pic on FB after snowshoeing out to a location all could get to, and sitting by a fire. All looked good. No injuries.

Here is something to think about - when you go riding, are you prepared to spend a night, or two out in the snow ? Survival items ? Survival Skills ? Food ? If not, might be time to study up, AND practice with your tools.

Hopefully all those that are seeing and tracking the story will use it as motivation to assess our own skills and equipment. I've been going through my stuff in my head for about three days, now and a few refinements have come to mind. Nothing major, but still could always be better.

Finally, even when riding in places within my skills (not saying these guys did/didn't - don't know) it's easy to see spots to get stuck in and become a campsite for a night ...... or two. because I/we can't get out.

Again, the guys are out and safe. Thank God for that. Time for the rest of us to learn and take action !

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
BACK ON TOPIC !!

Snow conditions ? Last snow, Libby is wind blown and dry, NW part of the Range has the most snow, etc. !!

My crew is heading for Albany Tuesday. Can't sleep, can't think, can't wait. Too excited to get out in the snow and PLAY !!

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Overnight experience

For those of us following this and seeking to learn from this overnight experience, but are not on FB, any additional photos of the site or other info posted here would be appreciated. Thanks

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Tremendous effort by all S&R orgs and volunteers. Can't be a better example of selflessness. Another tragedy avoided by sheer effort and commitment.

There also can't be any better example of why you need a 403c device for hitting the backcountry. Not that we needed another one. We blow benjamins on trucks and trailers and decks and tracks and shocks and cans and ...., get a device, know how it works, for the love of God, you're helping these people who risk their lives to save you, and your family and loved ones from never knowing when you'll be found.

doozy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2012
be nice if someone at one of the outfitters would rent them by the day , for some one that only goes once a year might be a better option than buying , but i do know what you are saying about buying one , its not that much money when compared to what we spend on everything else , and not putting the s&r in a bdad spot

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
be nice if someone at one of the outfitters would rent them by the day , for some one that only goes once a year might be a better option than buying , but i do know what you are saying about buying one , its not that much money when compared to what we spend on everything else , and not putting the s&r in a bdad spot

This is prolly 15 year old info, but I recall that someone somewhere had beacons and ??? for rent.
Maybe Ricky in Cooke if I had to guess. ???

BTW guys, I don't think that you need to have your own Facebook account to see someone else's.
Especially public pages like these, or any of the lodges and whatnot.
All you should hafta doo is go to Facebook.com and search for something if you don't have the link.
Or even just search Google for "something facebook" and it can likely find it for you.

Like this:

Snowy Range Laramie Wyoming Search and Rescue

I forgot to add "facebook" to the search, but it pulled that up too anyway.

Last edited:

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
I've never used these guys but had looked into it a few years ago when I was just getting into mt riding. They have PLBs for rent as well.

https://www.oerentals.com/product-category/avalanche-safety-rental/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I've never used these guys but had looked into it a few years ago when I was just getting into mt riding. They have PLBs for rent as well.

https://www.oerentals.com/product-category/avalanche-safety-rental/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have used OE Rentals several times when taking out my family or a noob, usually rented beacons and bags as I have the full kit for myself including an in reach. They are great to work with tell them when you are leaving and how long you will be gone and the gear shows up at your door a day before you go along with a return label for when you get back. I heave bought some of their rental equipment at year end for a discount. I am impressed with their service and would recommend them to anyone. The hard part is even with the gear you need to burn a half day on the snow to teach or refresh yourself and or others on the operation, having the gear is only half the battle.
Muffin

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
How about providing these coordinates? Not everyone has FACEBOOK.

Yeah. Ox has obviously had fawkbook for way to long! He has forgotten what it’s like for a human that doesn’t have that pile of chit to obtain info from a Facebook page when you don’t have a Facebook Account.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Yeah. Ox has obviously had fawkbook for way to long! He has forgotten what it’s like for a human that doesn’t have that pile of chit to obtain info from a Facebook page when you don’t have a Facebook Account.

Correct coordinates.... 41.50888,-106.231067

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com

???

The only info that I got - I picked up in this thread, or googled.
Had nothing to doo with facebook.

Does this page not load for you?

https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainSledConditions/posts/2179336698987365

I didn't already have the info. The Snowies isn't my normal stomping grounds.

I also picked up Albany Lodge from this thread, but their snowcams have been down for the last 2-3 days now.

RMKillR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
Wisco
Question for you guys?

Been a few years since I’ve risen the snowys. We when did we stayed at mountain meadow cabins and brought our fuel up in the truck/trailer. Riding there in a few weeks and staying at old corral. Is there gas in town? Friendly store? Or better off filling jugs/barrels in Laramie?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Question for you guys?

Been a few years since I’ve risen the snowys. We when did we stayed at mountain meadow cabins and brought our fuel up in the truck/trailer. Riding there in a few weeks and staying at old corral. Is there gas in town? Friendly store? Or better off filling jugs/barrels in Laramie?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel at The Friendly. You’re better off coming to town with a full sled and fuel cans full as well. Then fill up in town if needed. Fuel there is usually $1/gallon more. I usually bring 4 full cans (20 gallons), half full Doo caddy and a full sled.

Premium Features