• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Snowy Range Snow Conditions

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
It's going to be very interesting as it's hard to figure out how 4 of them couldn't
get out? Maybe just lost and out of fuel?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
It's going to be very interesting as it's hard to figure out how 4 of them couldn't

get out? Maybe just lost and out of fuel?

There was a group of guys lost for a few days in the big horns years ago. They all smoked a bowl. Then dropped into a set up, icy bowl. . They couldn’t get out.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Hearing on radio they got down in that bottom and got stuck and couldn’t get back out. Will hopefully hear more soon.

At 1700MST they said they were all clear and headed to green rock parking.

At 1702, Carbon SAR is all clear and headed to chains end.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Hearing on radio they got down in that bottom and got stuck and couldn’t get back out. Will hopefully hear more soon.

At 1700MST they said they were all clear and headed to green rock parking.

At 1702, Carbon SAR is all clear and headed to chains end.

Damn t motion anyway.

I would head to Jaye’s steakhouse in Laramie. Order a miller light heated up. Right after a steaming hot 4 hour shower.... Lmao.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
That's great news!!

Obviously it will be interesting to hear the "whole" story......if we ever do???

natedog

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks GOD for SAR !!! we were stuck in the Sierras a few years ago and those guys were GREAT !!! Wouldnt of gotten out like we did without them ✌️✌️

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Well, this [not so] little episode reminded me that I was going to fetch one of them satelite texting thing-a-ma-jigs this fall. After nigh on 20 yrs I let my sat phone expire this year. If these guys would'a had one of these, there would have been oodles of other optional endings to this h'yah story. Any of which involving them getting out on Day 2, and Mamma not fretting much.

Just ordered one today with 2 day delivery. I guess since it aint snowing much anywhere, we won't be going anywhere this weekend, so it will git here in plenty of time.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
If ya get an InReach just make sure you pay attention to billing and the auto renewal feature.. you can suspend the service when not in use. I think my service automatically turned back on a few months earlier than I wanted...

I agree it’s a must have in he mountains!

Also glad those guys are ok!
Hope they share the story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
If ya get an InReach just make sure you pay attention to billing and the auto renewal feature.. you can suspend the service when not in use. I think my service automatically turned back on a few months earlier than I wanted..

Sorry to move off topic a bit - does it save that much money to turn it on and off for just the sled season? (activation fees etc) I just have the base plan and my bill is $12.73 a month or something like that. I leave it on all year and take it boating/camping/ATV riding etc.

Back on topic - I am glad they found these guys. I have been riding the Snowy's for a long time and this is the longest duration I can remember any snowmobilers stranded on the hill. I hope this "record" stands forever now...

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
I suspect they may be able to ride the sleds out a bit later in the season when the snow sets up. Bottomless right now.

On Search and Rescue channel they just reported the 4 snowmobilers and their rescuers that snow shoed out, are back at the rescuers snowmachines and will be headed out shortly.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=77c315a4ddcf5f727eb4b6c235745966&oe=5CCD6AF0

Search and Rescue Channel?

I would Shirley be part of S&R if I lived in an area that you could git lost in!
Standing corn fields are the biggest danger around here, and occassionally a small child does get lost out there sometimes.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Search and Rescue Channel?

I would Shirley be part of S&R if I lived in an area that you could git lost in!

Standing corn fields are the biggest danger around here, and occassionally a small child does get lost out there sometimes.

Who’s Shirley?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Hope they are ok. I've ridden that area its rugged with deep holes. Just had a discussion with a family member that lives out there he was ask to go with search and rescue but couldn't do to a family emergency. Glad they made it out. They are more fortunate than the family a few years ago.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
This is what I get with those coordinates....

7d7da2abf183a68a482311edfd7258c8.jpg

Where did you git those co-ordinates?

When I plug those in - that doesn't look like a "stuck" spot.
Near as I can tell, it looks like the top of a gently rolling hill?

https://earth.google.com/web/search...NX2--o0QBHynNX2--o0wBlzH932R1lcQCHk-kI_2PphwA

Nothing like that deep dark hole that Slayer posted.

???

Last edited:

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Those aren't the correct coordinates. They are on Facebook but it's directly north of crater lake.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Premium Features