• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Snowy Range Snow Conditions

sledslayer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 13, 2011
Where exactly are the coordinates / location ??

It would be interesting to see on google maps!
It's the red dot in the warning box.
72944973b6549bf4c64c6772b575a85b.jpg

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Yea.... where these guys were at is unreal terrain. Sleds stayed put and will eventually get recovered this spring. Currently with 3 SAR members and walking out. Snowcat is within mile or two from the location so assume they’re going towards that and then riding it out.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Yea.... where these guys were at is unreal terrain. Sleds stayed put and will eventually get recovered this spring. Currently with 3 SAR members and walking out. Snowcat is within mile or two from the location so assume they’re going towards that and then riding it out.

So sleds we’re running and had fuel. Just couldn’t make it up and out?

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Damn. I don’t think I could let mine sit there.

They don’t have a choice, from what I was hearing on scanner the closest SAR sleds could comfortably get was between 0.7-1.0 miles in I believe. They had to snowshoe in the rest of the way.

Currently, they’re still walking out to designated meeting spot with 2 more SAR members accompanying the group. 5 SAR and 4 rescued individuals accounted for.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
They don’t have a choice, from what I was hearing on scanner the closest SAR sleds could comfortably get was between 0.7-1.0 miles in I believe. They had to snowshoe in the rest of the way.

Currently, they’re still walking out to designated meeting spot with 2 more SAR members accompanying the group. 5 SAR and 4 rescued individuals accounted for.

How far of a walk was it from where the sleds couldn’t make it any more?

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
From the google map it will take a sky hook to get the sleds out next spring. Maybe we will see 4 used sleds for sale as is where is before the season is over.

I don't think they will be arguing with the wives on keeping the sleds once they return to SD. I know I'd lose that battle!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Maybe snowbikers could get in there and if so, maybe some winching would get the sleds out?

You can buy endless rope winches rated for 1,500# or more. I have one with a 100' rope. Maasdam Power Pull, something like that. Could carry it in in a backpack. Home Depot has one with a 20' rope for $45 but you can get longer rope.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
From the google map it will take a sky hook to get the sleds out next spring. Maybe we will see 4 used sleds for sale as is where is before the season is over.

For sale: Gently used Ski-Doo 850. Will go anywhere you'd want to and further. You haul, can be seen at 41*28N106*14W, or google maps in 3-5 years.

Seriously though, who cares about the sleds. When I first heard this, "sounds real bad" flashed across my mind. Thank God they're safe and can ride another day – once they convince their families to let them, that is!

djm

Lifetime Membership
Location of Food and Water Supply Drop

I suspect they may be able to ride the sleds out a bit later in the season when the snow sets up. Bottomless right now.

On Search and Rescue channel they just reported the 4 snowmobilers and their rescuers that snow shoed out, are back at the rescuers snowmachines and will be headed out shortly.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=77c315a4ddcf5f727eb4b6c235745966&oe=5CCD6AF0

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Maybe snowbikers could get in there and if so, maybe some winching would get the sleds out?

You can buy endless rope winches rated for 1,500# or more. I have one with a 100' rope. Maasdam Power Pull, something like that. Could carry it in in a backpack. Home Depot has one with a 20' rope for $45 but you can get longer rope.

Kinda what I was getting at when
I said “ i don’t think i could just leave my sled
There”. Have a lot or very resourceful friends with a lot of cool equipment..... We’ve had 5000’ of rope out a couple times to retrieve elk.

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
I hear what you are saying. It was 25 years go this month that I had 6 friends spend the night out south of the area the 4 were just rescued from. Got in a blizzard coming back from Albany. It was south of the old sand lake lodge area. We went in a week later to get 4 sleds out. Goes to show how things can in just a few minutes.

Glad to hear they are back to trail and headed out.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
So happy that everybody is ok! I sure hope they share their story so that people can learn from this ordeal.

Premium Features