• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
I picked up a deck a few years back to see what all the fuss was about. I got tired of my sled getting covered in road junk on the 1100+ mile commutes.

I usually end up driving out alone, or only a couple of us at the most. For that, I use my sled deck. This past Christmas, I took my family to Island Park and had to haul 4 machines so I had to come up with a solution. No issues at all.

For unloading, I just jacknife the trailer and take the sleds off the deck. Works great.

what you have is the best i think...you can throw all the bags under truck and in the trailer...and yet with the small two place you can always unhook and push it around in those areas of riding that are known to be non trailer friendly

Sled deck with a small 2 place is very convenient for late spring early summer riding. Can disconnect the trailer and easily turn it around on small mountain roads. Not ideal for long haul winter trips, sleds will be covered in salt and other ice melts.
3905543b8f36bc8f74f8025647073e65.jpg

Mountain Cat

I have to admit
for the very first time I am thinking of moving from trailer over to Sled Deck.

Don't get a sled deck.
Keep the trailer.
AND GET THE FLATBED.

Even when its 4-5 guys but were going less then an hour away, very common to roll 2-3 trucks with decks. You just end up wasting more time jerking around trying to ride together and meeting, loading, unloading, etc it really isnt worth saving the $10 in fuel. You say meet at the parking lot at 9am, and everyone makes it happen. Otherwise with the 1 trailer your running in circles rounding people up.

No kidding. That can be a drag.
Luckily my riding group all lives along the route to the meeting point.
We just have the guy who lives furthest away drive and we buy his fuel. Haha

My issue with flatbeds is you lose the storage under the deck.

Definitely get the longbox though, JMHO.

I've had my flatbed for a couple seasons now.
Not once did I wish I had a deck so I could store anything underneath.

HUGE HUGE plus is the ride quality at Highway speed.

And to add, my flatbed is a truck with a 6" lift and 37" tires, so it's definitely WAY better center of gravity than a deck in that truck.

Last edited:
Tuff lift flatbed has storage underneath. Probably $8-10grand though!

Mountain Cat

Remember this is Christopher's money, so it's just cotton with green ink on it that he printed in the basement....

Serious note: that's a hell of a lot for a bed. Like double of a normal bed, correct?

Just a number i threw out there. A good aluminum flat bed with storage is over $5g without a hydraulic deck.

A truck boss sled deck is $5g.

My buddy paid more than $7g for his custom flat bed with ramps for sleds.

Mountain Cat

Sledmax, that is a sharp looking truck. How many miles do you have on and any issues / complaints with the new rig yet?

Also has anybody else noticed what seems like a lot more F-450's on the road now in the new body style? Do they just ride better now or has there always been a bunch of F-450 out there and I just never noticed.

The non cab and chassis F-450 trucks use the same frame as the 250 and 350 trucks but get a much wider front axle (notice the fender flares from factory) and that axle has a tighter turning radius than the 250 and 350 width Dana 60. I would definitely go this route on the next truck...my crew cab long box takes some room to flip around..haha. Cab and chassis trucks use an open c channel frame in the back for up-fitting and also get a bigger rear axle.

Bryan

The non cab and chassis F-450 trucks use the same frame as the 250 and 350 trucks but get a much wider front axle (notice the fender flares from factory) and that axle has a tighter turning radius than the 250 and 350 width Dana 60. I would definitely go this route on the next truck...my crew cab long box takes some room to flip around..haha. Cab and chassis trucks use an open c channel frame in the back for up-fitting and also get a bigger rear axle.

Bryan

I agree with the turning! My dad's '08 crew cab 450 long box has the same turning radius as my 1/2 ton extended cab short box. Let's you really crank a trailer around quick too when backing up.

Premium Features

Back