• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just felt like I missed out on some good riding because of access issues with a full size trailer.

Kind of in the same boat. Thinking about picking one up for when we only have two guys headed west. Like the Grizzly trip, be nice not to have a trailer for that type of trip.

Kind of in the same boat. Thinking about picking one up for when we only have two guys headed west. Like the Grizzly trip, be nice not to have a trailer for that type of trip.
Ya.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of being able to just BLAST out with 2 sleds and pretty much go ANYWHERE on super short notice.

Well that was a left turn out of no where. Where is the love for the topper now?

What about a smaller trailer?

Are you done with the Mirage trailer deal?

he he he.
#1.
I do NOT know what I would do without the topper.
That is a SERIOUS ISSUE for me in hauling books back and forth from the printer and transporting Camping Gear for my Scouts.

#2.
Could do a smaller trailer I suppose.
Maybe even a COMBINATION of a Sled Deck AND a enclosed trailer.
There are plenty of COLD DAYS where having that heated trailer absolutely ROCKS!

#3.
Actually just fired off my first letter to Mirage minutes ago about the new 2018 trailer. Honestly have no idea what we will be doing together this coming year.

Big enclosed trailers have their places but 90% of my rides I prefer sled decks/flatbeds. The simplicity of going riding is just that much better. My sled deck goes in around mid NOV when its time to start riding and comes out in may or June when its time to start dirt biking more then sledding.

Perks of deck.
- NO TRAILER! - driving like your truck is empty and not having to worry about a big trailer pushing you around is really nice in the snow.
- Parking is always easier - see again, no trailer.
-Early/Late season access - See again, no trailer.
-2 people, 2 sleds, gear in the back seat. Done, easy, warm.
-Coordination - 1 person has the truck and they have to plan with 1 person riding with them. No running around trying to meet everyone and waiting for the last straggler.
-Driving doesn't suck - I hate pulling bumper pull trailers so unless you are hauling a 4+ place gooseneck I really just am not that fond of pulling a bumper pull.
-Fuel sharing is easy - passanger buys fuel for truck, or sleds, etc. Easy, no trying to sort it out amongst a few people.
- Fast and easy for locations under 1 hour away.
- It doesn't have tires to keep track of, lights to go bad, registration to take with you. Its just a metal box in your truck. easy peasy.
Cons
- no heated place to hangout ( I like to get back to my shop where there is radiant heat, ****ter, etc)
- Not the most efficient way to move people and sleds for long drives (1hr+)

If most of your riding is fairly local the sled deck is king, for those that spend a lot of time traveling to destinations the perks of the trailer really start to show. WE have a bunch of guys with sled decks/flatbeds and then a 3 place enclosed that you can throw on for longer hauls (trips to canada) and stuff 5 guys in the truck with deck and trailer and keep costs down.

Last edited:
Big enclosed trailers have their places but 90% of my rides I prefer sled decks/flatbeds. The simplicity of going riding is just that much better. My sled deck goes in around mid NOV when its time to start riding and comes out in may or June when its time to start dirt biking more then sledding.

Perks of deck.
- NO TRAILER! - driving like your truck is empty and not having to worry about a big trailer pushing you around is really nice in the snow.
- Parking is always easier - see again, no trailer.
-Early/Late season access - See again, no trailer.
-2 people, 2 sleds, gear in the back seat. Done, easy, warm.
-Coordination - 1 person has the truck and they have to plan with 1 person riding with them. No running around trying to meet everyone and waiting for the last straggler.
-Driving doesn't suck - I hate pulling bumper pull trailers so unless you are hauling a 4+ place gooseneck I really just am not that fond of pulling a bumper pull.
-Fuel sharing is easy - passanger buys fuel for truck, or sleds, etc. Easy, no trying to sort it out amongst a few people.
- Fast and easy for locations under 1 hour away.

Cons
- no heated place to hangout ( I like to get back to my shop where there is radiant heat, ****ter, etc)
- Not the most efficient way to move people and sleds for long drives (1hr+)

If most of your riding is fairly local the sled deck is king, for those that spend a lot of time traveling to destinations the perks of the trailer really start to show. WE have a bunch of guys with sled decks/flatbeds and then a 3 place enclosed that you can throw on for longer hauls (trips to canada) and stuff 5 guys in the truck with deck and trailer and keep costs down.

So what you're saying is that when its 4-5 guys, 1 truck with a trailer makes sense. But when its 1-2 guys, the deck rules.

And that is pretty much right where I am heading now.

There have been several times I would have liked to just dash off to Togwotte or Cooke or down into Utah where I just didn't want to pull the big trailer. And if I had a sled deck I think i would have loaded up and gone for the ride.

So what you're saying is that when its 4-5 guys, 1 truck with a trailer makes sense. But when its 1-2 guys, the deck rules.

And that is pretty much right where I am heading now.

There have been several times I would have liked to just dash off to Togwotte or Cooke or down into Utah where I just didn't want to pull the big trailer. And if I had a sled deck I think i would have loaded up and gone for the ride.

Even when its 4-5 guys but were going less then an hour away, very common to roll 2-3 trucks with decks. You just end up wasting more time jerking around trying to ride together and meeting, loading, unloading, etc it really isnt worth saving the $10 in fuel. You say meet at the parking lot at 9am, and everyone makes it happen. Otherwise with the 1 trailer your running in circles rounding people up.

I really like my tuff lift...as you can see it was the best way to go for me for hauling my rzr vs selling my camping and buying a toyhauler....i had a homemade deck sold it for what i had into it after using it for 3 years and upgraded. Has a roll out try its nice...you can do 3 sleds but i dont want that much weight that high i think deck plus a 2 place thats enclosed is the best/cheapest way of both worlds unless you always have 4 people to go. or go on longer trips or if you dont have a garage. I wanted a enclosed but really no need the only thing i would like is to change inside. but if i buy a 2 place enclosed i could do that....if needed.....another reason i wanted a deck is i prefer to drive myself as you see i operate a snow plow in MT and its hard to ride with other people when you drive in winter all the time...and i seen alot of Sh!t....alot of bad drivers out there sorry to say including sledders...so i just drive myself. :)

13962827_10157373942060397_439260118678321921_o.jpg file (1).jpg file-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have pondered getting a deck but unless I never unload sled it would be easier to just hook up to my 2 place trailer on which the sled sits, otherwise I would have to load/unload sled before/after each trip.

The attractive part to me is no trailer tires, bearings, lights to worry about and easier parking, plus extra weight in truck when driving in snow vs pulling trailer which could jacknife, etc.

Also, if more guys want to go, just use the deck and a 2 place open. The trailer (triton 10') is so light it can be slid to the side in order to unload the deck, if needed.

I picked up a deck a few years back to see what all the fuss was about. I got tired of my sled getting covered in road junk on the 1100+ mile commutes.

I usually end up driving out alone, or only a couple of us at the most. For that, I use my sled deck. This past Christmas, I took my family to Island Park and had to haul 4 machines so I had to come up with a solution. No issues at all.

For unloading, I just jacknife the trailer and take the sleds off the deck. Works great.

IMG_4587.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back