• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Not just the engine compartment that's not workable anymore.

They've went way too far making them grocery getters, all of the electronic foo foo like traction control etc. have made them a real PITA to work offroad.

Other than EFI, it's all been downhill since abs brakes.

They've went way too far making them grocery getters, all of the electronic foo foo like traction control etc. have made them a real PITA to work offroad.

I tend to agree. My truck is not as capable with the silly traction control limiting the option to get the tires going at times.

I do however use the AWD mode instead of a full 4 High when I run in the woods. This makes my tires last a lot longer as I would otherwise use 2WD. I also use it on the highway at lower elevations when towing my trailer.

the track controls is only good on icy highways. when i head into mud or deep snow just turn it off. it does have two types
1, track control this keeps the tires from spinning
2, advance track, this keeps the truck from sliding sideways and will pulse the brakes to bring it back strait.
just touch the button one time to turn of the track control, the hold the button down for five seconds this will turn off the advance track now the truck is full open to spin the rubber to your hearts content.

the track controls is only good on icy highways. when i head into mud or deep snow just turn it off. it does have two types
1, track control this keeps the tires from spinning
2, advance track, this keeps the truck from sliding sideways and will pulse the brakes to bring it back strait.
just touch the button one time to turn of the track control, the hold the button down for five seconds this will turn off the advance track now the truck is full open to spin the rubber to your hearts content.

I wish it would default in the "off" position.
Pretty easy to activate it if needed, pain in theass to deactivate it when you don't want it.

I wish it would default in the "off" position.
Pretty easy to activate it if needed, pain in theass to deactivate it when you don't want it.

That would better. Getting to where turning it off is the first thing I do after starting up.

Just yesterday I had to put it in 4wd to get out of a 30ft long mud patch, because the electronics would rev limit the pickup in reverse and won't let you rock it back and forth.

Yup, pretty much mirrors society numbers.

Farmers, ranchers, loggers, miners, roughnecks, etc. are pretty low numbers anymore.

Wish somebody would build us dinosaurs a work model.

Until the oil busted I'm pretty sure the roughnecks were the ones buying them big fancy diesels. Then maxing out that visa on a delete and tune, lift, wheels and tires.

I know a lot of ranchers that are all over them King ranches too. You know, Just to go to town and church n stuff.

Alright, so even the farmers and ranchers are becoming Nancy boys!

I've got the pretty boy farmer neighbors too.

Don't know anybody that actually works for a living with their pickup in anything above a Lariat, and a good chunk of the actual workers run flatbeds.

Trim level stuff doesn't bother me as much as the electronic stuff messing up performance.

Some farmers/ranchers run atv or sxs to make up for the lack of pickup performance, or they're nancy boys and don't wanna be their pickup dirty. But that's not the answer, we have too many miles to cover and the atv's are too slow, and always end up needing a tool that you carry in your pickup. We need a capable pickup!

Alright, so even the farmers and ranchers are becoming Nancy boys!

I've got the pretty boy farmer neighbors too.

Don't know anybody that actually works for a living with their pickup in anything above a Lariat, and a good chunk of the actual workers run flatbeds.

Trim level stuff doesn't bother me as much as the electronic stuff messing up performance.

Some farmers/ranchers run atv or sxs to make up for the lack of pickup performance, or they're nancy boys and don't wanna be their pickup dirty. But that's not the answer, we have too many miles to cover and the atv's are too slow, and always end up needing a tool that you carry in your pickup. We need a capable pickup!

Find some old 79 f series then. Anything beyond that isn't very capable

Somewhere around the late 70's early 80's they started killed the ground clearance.

Some things got better, like auto trannies. We had better luck with the 460 motors of the 80's, than the 70's small block motors. Fuel injection has been good.

I'm not a big fan of uber lifted pickups, just want enough clearance to be able to roll underneath them on creeper to service, and not drag on 2 track trails.

Killers for me are abs brakes, traction control, and the computer crap that limits the engine when about to get stuck.

Well. Maybe some stuff newer might be "capable". But not durable.

cropped-logo_planned_obsolescence.jpg

Motors and trannies are better now, better seals and longer life. Heck in the 70's you might have to check motor oil a couple times a week. Body panels, bed, and bumpers are a joke today. Blown tire = new 1/4 panel, and forget about putting your high lift on the bumper. Wheel bearings are now Chinese junk, so no life there.

Try having a 250k to 500k John Deere with all the electronic foo foo on them!

Before the computer crap, tractors were getting to be pretty long life. 10,000 hours before you might have to work on something.

Now the wiring harnesses for all the computer crap starts giving you fits around 3,000 hours. Then they send out a snot nosed punk with laptop to throw thousands of dollars of parts at it, until something sticks.

Vehicles are better all around today. Average lifespan is over 150k for all vehicles. 20 years ago, 100k spelled death. Trucks have always been better. Today's trucks have more power, more capacity, more features.

Compare the legendary 7.3 powerstroke to anything today. It gets smoked. Sure it was a durable motor, but power it lacks severely by today's standards. Sure Ford dropped the ball on a couple/few motors after the 7.3l, but don't act like there were not horrible motors prior to the 7.3 as well.

Premium Features

Back