• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
I didn't read that this was still considered the 2nd gen motor. I just assumed it was 3rd since they bumped up the torque. Shame on me for assuming :face-icon-small-dis

2nd gen did get a bigger turbo for better high altitude towing performance.

But we still do NOT know if there have been ANY other changes to the engine other than just mapping to bump up the torque numbers

Majority of people don't spend much time off the highway. How many people seriously 4x4 in a truck? Isn't that what they make side by sides for?

Do you really want to take your $70k truck off roading?

Find one of my rants, lots of us guys still need a 4x4 pickup built for work. Irrigated farmers and oil/gas pumpers go out rain or shine on the front range, and have big miles to cover.

I'm a irrigated farmer and carry a full set of metric and standard tools, plus electronic diagnostic stuff, and have a 2 battery 24volt system to jump start stuff.

When it's really bad we'll do some stuff with the atv, but Murphy's law says you're gonna need something you usually carry in your pickup. So then you gotta drive 30 miles back and get the pickup anyways.

What percent still would buy a modern version of a Power wagon, I don't know? Probably a bunch, just cause they'd look cool!

Majority of people don't spend much time off the highway. How many people seriously 4x4 in a truck? Isn't that what they make side by sides for?

Do you really want to take your $70k truck off roading?

There are certainly SOME of them out there.
But if by SERIOUS 4x4ing you mean ROCK CRAWLING, then probably DANG FEW.

Find one of my rants, lots of us guys still need a 4x4 pickup built for work. Irrigated farmers and oil/gas pumpers go out rain or shine on the front range, and have big miles to cover.

I'm a irrigated farmer and carry a full set of metric and standard tools, plus electronic diagnostic stuff, and have a 2 battery 24volt system to jump start stuff.

When it's really bad we'll do some stuff with the atv, but Murphy's law says you're gonna need something you usually carry in your pickup. So then you gotta drive 30 miles back and get the pickup anyways.

What percent still would buy a modern version of a Power wagon, I don't know? Probably a bunch, just cause they'd look cool!

Plenty of people still use trucks like that. I don't think running up and down oil roads, even when they are ungrated, or dealing with farm type stuff is too much for a truck today. I just don't think many people are buying trucks with the intent to go on 4x4 jeep trails.

Buying a long box crew cab 1-ton diesel truck, using it to tow with and still planning to 4x4 in it, is a bit silly. Big difference in 4x4'ing and running around a farm or oil type fields.

:juggle:

Finally Decided.
I am going to get the Platinum Edition after all.
While I would really like to have the 40/20/40 front seat configuration, the resale value on a customized Lariet will never be as good as a stock Platinum down the road, nor do I seem to be able to actually make them Identical.

Still need to decide F250 or F350

They are building them..

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aJ_5ScWuOI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go F350. The added capacity is worth it and the ride in the newer trucks is so similar you really can't tell which one your driving unloaded anyway. Is there much of a price difference between the two? I would guess not much.

Go F350. The added capacity is worth it and the ride in the newer trucks is so similar you really can't tell which one your driving unloaded anyway. Is there much of a price difference between the two? I would guess not much.

And THAT is the only real question I have.
Does the F350 RIDE the same as the F250, or is it HARSHER with a harder Spring Rate??

Does the F350 RIDE the same as the F250, or is it HARSHER with a harder Spring Rate??

I can't really answer that by comparing apples to apples.

BUT, my 2012 F-350 rides WAY BETTER than my 2000 F-250.
As is surely should.

Last edited:

When these start showing up at dealers drive them both. As close to apples to apples (interior package, crew/extended cab, 6.5 vs 8 foot box) as you can get minus the tonnage. And then decide.

If it were me I would drive the first one twice..... Truck A, Truck B, Truck A. I would drive A twice so that you get the "Oh! This is so shiny!" mindset out of your head. And be able to actually feel and compare the ride if that is what the driving factor is. Same route, same everything. It's a lot of money. Take your time so you can make the right decision. If they are within $1k-ish, I would be buying the tonner.

When these start showing up at dealers drive them both. As close to apples to apples (interior package, crew/extended cab, 6.5 vs 8 foot box) as you can get minus the tonnage. And then decide.

If it were me I would drive the first one twice..... Truck A, Truck B, Truck A. I would drive A twice so that you get the "Oh! This is so shiny!" mindset out of your head. And be able to actually feel and compare the ride if that is what the driving factor is. Same route, same everything. It's a lot of money. Take your time so you can make the right decision. If they are within $1k-ish, I would be buying the tonner.

The cost difference is insignificant

2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty FX4: First Drive Off-Road Review

2017 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY FX4: FIRST DRIVE OFF-ROAD REVIEW [VIDEO]
Ford Heavy Duty Off-Road by Andre Smirnov - July 30, 2016 251421

2017-ford-f250-super-duty-fx4

The 2017 Ford Super Duty is just about a month away from reaching dealerships. There is a way to improve the off-road ability of any Super Duty by adding an FX4 Off-Road package. This includes off-road tuned Rancho shocks, underbody skid plates for the transfer case and the fuel tank, hill descent control, and an electronically activated rear locking differential. This 2017 F-250 Platinum edition has 20-inch rims with Michelin all-terrain tires.

The best thing about the FX4 package is that it’s available on any 2017 Super Duty 4×4 truck and it costs a very reasonable $295. The 2017 Super Duty still has front hubs that you can switch from “Auto” to manual “Locked” mode.

2017-ford-super-duty-f250-specs-price-900x634.jpg

This F-250 is powered by an updated version of the 6.2L gasoline V8. It makes the same 385 horsepower, but torque increases to 430 lb-ft and it’s available at 3,800 rpm. It’s mated to a “lighter” duty TorqShift-G 6-speed automatic transmission. This transmission weighs less than the heavy duty version of the transmission, which is available with the Power Stroke V8.

This truck can carry up to 2,785 lbs of payload, can tow up to 14,500 lbs, and has a low 4.30 rear differential gear ratio. Of course, there is also the electronic locking differential feature for more traction off-road.

2017-ford-super-duty-f250-fx4-off-road-900x675.jpg

Ford built the off-road course you see in the video, so there are no places where the truck would get seriously stuck. I only had less than 15 minutes behind the wheel of the truck off-road, but my initial impression was positive. The truck showed good articulation, the Rancho shocks help soak up the rough terrain. The Michelin all-terrain tires are not very aggressive, but they did well in a slower muddy section. The locking rear differential helped a lot. The hill descent control system worked as advertised and you can adjust its speed by pressing either the brake or the accelerator.

2017-ford-super-duty-fx4-sticker
2017-ford-super-duty-f250-badge

2017-ford-super-duty-hill-descent-control
2017-ford-super-duty-hill-descent-control.jpg

2017-ford-super-duty-off-road-gauges
2017-ford-super-duty-off-road-gauges.jpg

2017-ford-super-duty-platinum-seats
2017-ford-super-duty-platinum-seats.jpg

2017-ford-super-duty-platinum-vynil-floor
2017-ford-super-duty-platinum-vynil-floor.jpg

2017-ford-super-duty-rear-seat-storage
2017-ford-super-duty-rear-seat-storage.jpg

2017-ford-super-duty-sunroof-mud
2017-ford-super-duty-sunroof-mud.jpg

Not many people will take their heavy duty truck up and down 23 degree slopes, but the 2017 Super Duty can do it if you give it just some momentum on the way up.

Watch the 2017 F-250 FX4 go over an off-road course.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YmGjnt4tCkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
SPIED: The World's BEST 2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty Photo Gallery

A bit more power, a bit more towing capacity and a bit more ruggedness, then you've gotta step it up.

And that's why Ford is rolling out the F-250. Known as the Super Duty, this is the hardcore, working man's truck. Whether it's a equestrian hauling her prized horses or a landscaper filling his bed for a job, this is the go-to pick if you're needing something a bit more.

Ford F-250 Super Duty

Agent 001 took the "burden" of traveling to Denver to sample this all-new Ford pick-up truck.

Considering 001 is an F-150 owner and a pick-up guy, I can't think of someone better to check it out. In the typical AutoSpies tradition, he made sure to photograph the 2017 Super Duty thoroughly. If you were looking for the BEST photo gallery, this is it folks.

I've hand picked the snaps below. Make sure to take a peek.

$68k for a gasser!
+$8k for diesel?
First few seconds of the video, the truck goes through the puddle and water comes out on top of the head lights?!?!
Seems the inner fender should not allow that. Maybe it wasn't coming from the tires?
Still doesn't seem right.

GS6

The production trucks are slowly making their way OUT of the factory and into the playgrounds for people to start writing about

Premium Features

Back