• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 F250 Superduty

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Vehicles are better all around today. Average lifespan is over 150k for all vehicles. 20 years ago, 100k spelled death. Trucks have always been better. Today's trucks have more power, more capacity, more features.

Compare the legendary 7.3 powerstroke to anything today. It gets smoked. Sure it was a durable motor, but power it lacks severely by today's standards. Sure Ford dropped the ball on a couple/few motors after the 7.3l, but don't act like there were not horrible motors prior to the 7.3 as well.

wish we could get the FINAL RELEASE specs on the 2017 motor

Vehicles are better for the highway today. Average lifespan is over 150k for all vehicles. 20 years ago, 100k spelled death. Trucks have always been better. Today's trucks have more power, more capacity, more features.

Compare the legendary 7.3 powerstroke to anything today. It gets smoked. Sure it was a durable motor, but power it lacks severely by today's standards. Sure Ford dropped the ball on a couple/few motors after the 7.3l, but don't act like there were not horrible motors prior to the 7.3 as well.

Fixed it for you.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/the-2017-ford-f-series-super-duty-promises-ridiculous-capability/

July 18, 2016

Ford's rolling out an all-new Super Duty line of heavy-duty pickups this year, but the automaker has been oddly silent about its capacities...until now.

Ford's just released the figures for its 2017 Super Duty lineup, and I don't think I've ever seen this many "class-leading" claims in a single press release.

In F-450 trim, the Super Duty's maximum gooseneck towing capacity is 32,500 pounds.

Fifth-wheel towing is a best-in-class 27,500 pounds, and

conventional towing also earns a class-leading claim at 21,000 pounds.

Need to throw a bunch of stuff in the bed? Not a problem, as the F-350 is payload-rated up to 7,630 pounds -- yet another best-in-class figure.

(The F-250 has a max payload of 4,200 pounds.)

Whether you're driving an F-250, F-350 or F-450, if you opt for the 6.7-liter PowerStroke diesel V-8, you can look forward to a best-in-class 925 pound-feet of torque.

The gas V-8 puts out less than half that much, but its 430-pound-feet output is -- yes, again -- best in class.

The F-Series Super Duty also touts several segment-exclusive technologies. Its adaptive cruise control system works with the heaviest trailers, as does its forward collision-warning system, which will precharge the brake pedal to speed up the process of slowing down. Cameras give the driver a 360-degree view of the vehicle while towing, and there's also a first-of-its-kind trailer camera that you can place wherever's most appropriate.

The Super Duty lineup goes on sale this fall, and pricing starts at $33,730 for an F-250 with a standard cab.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-ford-f-series-super-duty-tows-all-of-the-heavy-things/

2017 Ford F-Series Super Duty Tows All of the Heavy Things
JULY 18, 2016 AT 10:00 AM BY ALEXANDER STOKLOSA

The tow-ratings grudge match between Ford and Ram continues, it seems, as Ford has announced that its 2017 F-450 can haul a maximum of 32,500 pounds—erasing the 2016 Ram 3500’s 10-pound advantage over last year’s F-450. And then some. If there’s pertinent consumer information to be found anywhere in this news, it likely will be of consequence only to those deciding between a semitractor-trailer and a heavy-duty pickup. In fact, to make that semi-truck comparison easier, Ford’s announcement includes the cheeky little factoid that the F-450 Super Duty’s gross combined weight rating now reaches 41,800 pounds. That, per Ford, is more than half the same weight rating for an unspecified type of 18-wheeler. Even the Super Duty models with smaller numbers in their names—the F-250 and F-350—can now drag 18,000 pounds behind their hitches. Ford claims that number is class leading, but who really cares—we’d say that if you’re planning on regularly hauling anywhere near half a semi-truck’s worth of weight, you should probably just buy an 18-wheeler instead of a heavy-duty pickup, but the higher maximum number should give people towing, say, a mobile home, more peace of mind.

By the same token, if you really need to drop 7630 pounds into an F-350’s bed—that is the model’s new “class leading” payload—buy a dump truck. Or a box truck. Clearly, every full-size heavy-duty pickup these days can be optioned to tow or carry absurd amounts of weight, and since most truck buyers stick rigidly to brands, statistics like these seem more important for bragging rights than actual capability.

Because if your full-size truck needs hinge on the F-450’s 1290-pound towing advantage over the Ram 3500, both of which can haul over 30,000 pounds, you probably shouldn’t be buying either of them.

you will like that torque. i have had about 1000 ft lbs out of my tuned cummins since 2012. its a towing S.O.B. it doesnt get the best mileage, but you can throw about whatever you want behind it and go however fast you want.

as for all those weight ratings, all i have to say is....... its scary that any joe blow can get in a 4500 series pickup with a combined vehicle/trailer weight of 40k and legally drive around. with all the dumb people out there now days that have no COMMON SENSE what-so-ever........its scary.

you will like that torque. i have had about 1000 ft lbs out of my tuned cummins since 2012. its a towing S.O.B. it doesnt get the best mileage, but you can throw about whatever you want behind it and go however fast you want.

as for all those weight ratings, all i have to say is....... its scary that any joe blow can get in a 4500 series pickup with a combined vehicle/trailer weight of 40k and legally drive around. with all the dumb people out there now days that have no COMMON SENSE what-so-ever........its scary.

25,000lbs of Hay ??
yoibw19ujvwc6tootwel.jpg

i live in a rural area. most farmers and ranchers have a decent head on their shoulder. even if they are pushing the weight limits.....id rather be on the road with an overloaded farmer/rancher than some prissy city boy that thinks "just because he has a diesel pickup, he can pull whatever the hell he wants wherever he wants."

yes that's stereotyping..........but i dont care because its true.

but back to this powerstroke. did they change anything with the engine, or just re-tune the current platform?

but back to this powerstroke. did they change anything with the engine, or just re-tune the current platform?

STILL DON'T KNOW.
Have NOT been able to find ANY HARD DETAILS yet.

Yesterday was just a small press release on SOME of the numbers...

Here is the actual Press Release from FORD

ALL-NEW FORD F-SERIES SUPER DUTY LEAVES THE REST BEHIND; RAISES TOWING, HAULING, ENGINE POWER TO NEXT LEVEL

-Most capability: All-new F-Series Super Duty can tow heavier trailers and haul heavier cargo than ever before, with maximum gooseneck towing capacity raised to 32,500 pounds on F-450, fifth-wheel towing capacity boosted to class-leading 27,500 pounds and conventional towing to class-leading 21,000 pounds; maximum payload now rated at up to best-in-class 7,630 pounds

-Most power: 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 turbo diesel boosts horsepower to a class-leading 440 and torque to a class-leading 925 lb.-ft. for all pickup models – from F-250 to F-450; 6.2-liter V8 gas model offers best-in-class torque of 430 lb.-ft.

-Most confidence: Class-exclusive smart technologies help make towing easier and enable increased confidence, including BLIS® with trailer tow, adaptive cruise control that works with the heaviest trailers, and Trailer Reverse Guidance to help back trailers up

DEARBORN, Mich., July 18, 2016 – Ford, America's truck leader, is taking heavy-duty trucks to the next level with the all-new 2017 F-Series Super Duty – empowering customers with the most towing and hauling capability and the most horsepower and torque of any heavy-duty pickup truck.

Super Duty's enhanced capability starts with high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy and high-strength steel that help reduce weight by up to 350 pounds. Ford reinvested that weight savings in more robust components everywhere it counts to give customers more towing and hauling capability than ever before.

Foundational improvements for every Super Duty pickup truck include an all-new, fully boxed frame that is more than 95 percent high-strength steel and up to 24 times stiffer than the previous frame to support increased towing and hauling. The all-new high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body is more dent and ding resistant than the previous steel body.

"This is the best heavy-duty truck we've ever made," says Doug Scott, Ford truck marketing manager. "We listened to our customers and created the toughest, smartest and most capable Super Duty ever."

The future of towing is now
The 2017 Super Duty is the undisputed leader in towing, offering available best-in-class performance in all towing categories, plus smart technology no other competitor has to enable greater confidence when towing.

Ford F-450 Super Duty SuperCrew 4x4 now features a maximum gooseneck tow rating of 32,500 pounds – 1,290 pounds more than its nearest competitor, a regular cab two-door pickup. Maximum fifth-wheel towing is increased to 27,500 – 2,500 pounds better than the nearest competitor.

Maximum conventional towing is increased to 21,000 pounds – 1,000 pounds better than the nearest competitors' trucks and without the need for a weight-distributing hitch. Maximum conventional towing with F-250, with the all-new trailer tow package, and F-350 single-rear wheel are increased to a class-leading 18,000 pounds.

Maximum gross combined weight rating for truck and trailer now tops out at a class-leading 41,800 pounds. That is more than half the maximum weight of an 18-wheeler semi-tractor trailer combination on most federal highways.

This industry-defining capability is matched by never-before-seen towing technology. Super Duty is the first truck to offer adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support for heavy trailers, allowing truckers to traverse steep mountain grades while maintaining speed – even with a trailer weighing 32,500 pounds.

A center high-mounted stop lamp camera provides visibility into the cargo box, which is especially helpful when hooking up gooseneck and fifth-wheel trailers. An Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System uses four digital, high-definition cameras to give the driver a 360-degree bird's-eye view surrounding Super Duty. Trailer Reverse Guidance provides visual cues and tips to help ease backing up a trailer. A first-ever factory-available trailer camera can be custom-placed on a trailer to improve visibility backing up.

Trailer towing customers benefit from a segment-first in-cab trailer tire pressure monitoring system, accessible from the comfort of the cab while stopped or on the highway. Blind Spot Information System with trailer tow is optimized for Super Duty to include the length of the trailer up to 33 feet long; BLIS® uses radar sensors in the taillamps to monitor areas that may not be visible to the driver.

Payload dominance
Super Duty can haul more than any other heavy-duty pickup. Maximum payload of the 2017 Ford Super Duty F-350 is 7,630 pounds – more than any competitor, period. F-250 Super Duty boasts the same dominance over its peers; with maximum payload of 4,200 pounds, it can haul more than 600 pounds over its nearest competitor.

More power than ever
The Ford-designed, Ford-engineered, Ford-built second-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke® V8 turbo diesel that powers Super Duty now delivers a best-in-class combination of 440 horsepower and a staggering 925 lb.-ft. of torque. That power is standard for every Super Duty diesel pickup – from F-250 to F-450 – without requiring special tuning or unique hardware.

The standard 6.2-liter V8 now offers best-in-class torque among gasoline engines of 430 lb.-ft., with standard 385 horsepower.

Both diesel and gasoline engines are backed by the TorqShift six-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission for reliable and efficient cross-country towing. The F-250 pickup with 6.2-liter V8 and all-new TorqShift-G six-speed automatic delivers improved fuel economy and capability for three-quarter-ton Super Duty customers.

Ford has redefined leadership in the heavy-duty pickup truck market, delivering never-before-seen productivity for today's heavy-duty truck customer. The 2017 F-Series Super Duty is a purpose-built machine for getting work done faster, smarter and more efficiently. The all-new Super Duty goes on sale this fall.

Last edited:
Has the 6.7 already been through a second generation or will this be the second generation? If this is the second gen then they most likely made some changes to it. Die hard Ford guy here.....but you couldn't pay me to take a Ford diesel of the past 15 years. When you put them up against a duramax or a cummins the reliability isn't even close in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

The Ford release says second generation above. Wondering if the second gen happened prior to this release or if this is a revamp. I get that there have been updates and better parts, they usually do that every year.

That 950 ft/lbs is nice.
You'll love the heck out of that coming from your gasser.

My 2012 has the unlocked H&S tuner with A FULL delete, S&B air intake and.... Industrial Injection Viper turbo set up.

I'm in the neighborhood of 625hp and 1150ft/lbs.
Can pull my 30' 5th wheel up a pass at 75mph and never lean into the throttle. It's a dream!!!

http://www.industrialinjection.com/ford/2011-2015-6-7l/turbos/iis67fv

Last edited:
Has the 6.7 already been through a second generation or will this be the second generation? If this is the second gen then they most likely made some changes to it. Die hard Ford guy here.....but you couldn't pay me to take a Ford diesel of the past 15 years. When you put them up against a duramax or a cummins the reliability isn't even close in my opinion.

Not a die hard anybody fan, but after the 7.3 went away, then as soon as the Duramax changed in 07?, and they went away from the 12 valve. I wasn't interested in any of them. Still not impressed with the Duramax. Cummins is probably a great motor just don't like the rest of the truck around it.

The second gen 6.7's have my attention though.

ford was buying motors from navastar (sp) but after the 6.0 fiasco for now is the only one to make their own diesel. the motor didn't change just the fuel and turbo systems to the gen 2. if you look at the way the 6.7 is built it is way ahead of the others. air to air and water to air inter coolers also the turbo sits in the center of what was the carb location and the heads are reverse flow so the intake and exhaust are opposite of a standard motor. it also produces the peak torque at around 1600 rpm.

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1407-second-generation-ford-6-7l-power-stroke-torque-specs/

Last edited:
Not a die hard anybody fan, but after the 7.3 went away, then as soon as the Duramax changed in 07?, and they went away from the 12 valve. I wasn't interested in any of them. Still not impressed with the Duramax. Cummins is probably a great motor just don't like the rest of the truck around it.

The second gen 6.7's have my attention though.
The downfall of the duramax and the cummins is the emission systems attached to them. Don't get me wrong it is a huge downfall to me. We have a 2011 duramax and it has been a really good truck for us other than the DEF system, which after deleted hasn't been a problem. Not sure if the Fords run into to the same issues lately but it could definitely happen. A common rail 5.9 and a LBZ duramax are solid engines. But I won't lie, a 12 valve will be powering a truck for me in the near future.

Bryan

ford was buying motors from navastar (sp) but after the 6.0 fiasco for now is the only one to make their own diesel. the motor didn't change just the fuel and turbo systems to the gen 2. if you look at the way the 6.7 is built it is way ahead of the others. air to air and water to air inter coolers also the turbo sits in the center of what was the carb location and the heads are reverse flow so the intake and exhaust are opposite of a standard motor. it also produces the peak torque at around 1600 rpm.

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1407-second-generation-ford-6-7l-power-stroke-torque-specs/
My Ford technician friend says the second gen was a new turbo as well. Don't forget the 6.4...a glorified 6.0 and will probably live the same downfall. No doubt the 6.7 has potential. I just can't spend 70k on a truck, if I had the cash to blow I'd probably consider it though.

Premium Features

Back