• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

B

benjfire

Oct 2, 2014
There is no way they got 2 feet at Meadowlark. The Wy Dot webcam is right by there and it doesn't look like 2 feet. Plus the Snotels around there only show a few inches like Shelbwyo said.

S
Feb 3, 2015
question everyone talking about going out on thursday but i was also gonna head that way but saw 30-40 mph wind will the wind not be bad if your somewhat in the tree this will be my first time out there should i wait till the weekend. but i kinda wanted to beat the high temp in store this week.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Last weekend. 15 minute ride out of Bear. Not a track or any other sleds to be found all day! There's snow. Go find it!

IMG_0176.jpg IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0184.jpg

kipperdavis

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2008
De Smet, SD
Thinking about heading out next weekend. Would it be worth it? Looks like they may get some snow through the week. Thanks

S
Dec 4, 2009
How is the snow at high country?

We are thinking about trying out the Wyoming high country. March 17-21,just wondering which snotels to watch and what place you would look at for forecast.how does it compare to cooke city.i have rode there for 10 years and would like to try something different.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
bald mountain is the closest snotel - http://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=309

the snow in obviously low everywhere in the northern US this year. this includes the big horn range. the snow has been very low in the big horns.

select weather sites show a forecast for burgess juntion, wy. that is about 20 miles east of the "high country area". maybe there is something closer, but thats what i always look at. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/burgess-junction-wy/82836/daily-weather-forecast/2084619

it is absolutely nothing like cooke city. it is alot more tame that cooke. way easier riding, but alot bigger area. they call cooke "the steep and deep" for a reason. alot of the high country area is a big, mostly flat area with rolling hills. it can be fun if you hit the snow right, but the wind usually blows pretty hard up there, and the snow is always wind blown. however, with temps in the 40s like that have been, the wind is the least of your worries....

B

bim900

Sep 14, 2008
Dumont, MN
leaving wednesday

just wondering where the best ridding is from bear lodge. has any one rode there in the last day or 2 that knows how the snow condition is

W

wisboy25

Feb 10, 2015
Wisconsin
just wondering where the best ridding is from bear lodge. has any one rode there in the last day or 2 that knows how the snow condition is

In my opinion there is no good snow there just left there today has a crust on top and all sugur below that terrible condition we were in Cooke and West Yellowstone before the big horns both of them are 10 times better than the bighorns

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
What is a better area bear lodge or high country or is it kind of the same area

it is a similar area as far as the types of riding goes. i personally like the riding better in the high country area. it is higher in elevation there, and when it does snow, they tend to get more. 90% of time i have been to the big horns, the snow was sub-par, it i always seemed to find better snow in the trees in the high country area. as far as lodging and convenience, id rather stay on the east side (burgess junction side).

1 important thing to keep in mind is....you cannot drive your pickup and trailer right up to the high country lodge. you come in on the western side of the big horn range, park in a parking lot, and drag your stuff in on your sleds. im not sure of the distance because i have never done it. or you can park on the east side of the range (burgess junction side) and haul your bags on your sleds west 20 miles to the high country lodge (all groomed trail). if you stay on the burgess junction side, there are 3 lodges, all of which you can pull your pickup/trailer up to the front door and unload your luggage. (bear lodge, arrowhead lodge, elk view inn)

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
So from what i gathered conditions look poor, would you guys say its worth driving out 24 hours right now to the northern big horns? trying to organize a trip with a few guys, and im trying to figure out if its worth it.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
So from what i gathered conditions look poor, would you guys say its worth driving out 24 hours right now to the northern big horns? trying to organize a trip with a few guys, and im trying to figure out if its worth it.

what conditions do you want to ride in? do you expect fluffy snow, powder carving in the meadows, and boon docking all over? then no, stay at home or go to BC canada. if you want to ride on crusty, hard snow in the morning, and maybe soft, heavy snow (depending on how warm it gets) in the after noon.....then maybe. if you want to just get out and ride, a day of sledding in poor snow is always better than a good day at work. but i still wouldnt go to the big horns. cooke, west yellowstone, togwotee all have deeper snow. and by deep, i dont mean fluffy deep. i mean there will be something between you and the dirt. there is not much snow PERIOD in the big horns. theres a crusty layer on top, a few feet of sugar under in, then dirt.

Last edited:
Premium Features