• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 Big Horns N/S Snow conditions

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Depends where you are at. Some places had a good base and some places had grass and rocks showing. Ride smart and you won't have any problems.

Looks like we're back to drive farther lol. Riding smart is for november and early december. Drive 2-3 more hours and ride good snow. Let the minnesota chodes and cat riders wreck chit in the hornies.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Looks like we're back to drive farther lol. Riding smart is for november and early december. Drive 2-3 more hours and ride good snow. Let the minnesota chodes and cat riders wreck chit in the hornies.

We rode for 3 days and found great snow and didn't damage one sled with a group of 8. One 15 year old and one 16 year old, both first time riding in the mountains. They got stuck plenty of times and never damaged anything on any land mines. Of course the Cats can take a little more abuse than the Poos and Doos, so maybe that's why! :face-icon-small-hap

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
We rode for 3 days and found great snow and didn't damage one sled with a group of 8. One 15 year old and one 16 year old, both first time riding in the mountains. They got stuck plenty of times and never damaged anything on any land mines. Of course the Cats can take a little more abuse than the Poos and Doos, so maybe that's why! :face-icon-small-hap

Younger kids is a good reason to ride the horns, i stand corrected. I just had to go to the god forsaken black hills this weekend with a youngin. Better learn to breath at 10,000 feet soon ha.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Rode today, didn't get far from the lodges. Friends sled was temperamental. Found good over the hood snow, but it was far from untouched. I'm sure if we could have gotten further out it would have been even better.

The wind was howling all day and was in the thirties. Probably loaded every east facing slope.

messickzr

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Iowa
Anyone care to share some current conditions? My family and I were going to head to Island Park area this weekend but seems like conditions there have deteriorated dramatically. Thought we would try to stay a little closer to home for this weekend due to the recent warm up but curious if the conditions are halfway decent.

snowho96

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
ia
Just left there this am. Found good snow out away from lodges but it was supposed to get warm there this week. Was 10 degrees at 8 when we left

M
Feb 15, 2017
Headed to the BigHorns tomorrow, can anybody out there give me an update how the snow conditions are? heard it has been really warm there this week.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Yes the bottom is going to be near sixty all week, supposed to snow up top Saturday night a little and a bit more Thursday
I suppose the hill will be in the upper thirties all week

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Rode the southern end Monday last week and it's about as sorry as I've seen it look. 2-3 feet of good ol bottomless snow. Rode baby wagon for a couple hours and thought I would escape with my sled in one piece. Western side of the mountain does have a little more snow than the east.
d209556fc23c1ce08b1f53b3a24a37f5.jpg

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Was just up top.

Weird weather it was supposed to be snowing but we noticed the snow was staying just around the 7500 alt. Rode all day in partial clouds and sun a bit higher. Maby as time goes on it will bind togather and really start dumping like it's supposed to

The snow was very wind blown. It erased alot of the freeway like tracks, uncovered many rocks, and some entire draws. It loaded hill faces but blew long enough to pack them down so I wasn't too worried of slides.
That wind Strom recovered areas with a semi soft layer on top of a crust on top of sugar. It made a perfect base for the next storm, which is happening right now and tomarrow

Premium Features