• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 not so strong.

M
Dec 23, 2007
Washington
I guess the fear is over that the 2010 m8 is now being reported in Sno-goer magazine at only 150 hp and not the 163 ponies as rumour told.

On the other hand it would have made it interesting if they could have pulled it off from a stock 800.

Ski-doo will still dominate for another year at least!

Wouldnt be the first time a company has lied either, as the xps didnt weigh in at what they where claimed to weigh

Reactions: CATillak
C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
will do and since your sitting next to me at the moment, here you take a hit its your turn....puff puff pass
Dont skip me guys..

I ride with an M and i ride a REV.. The chassis is soo worked and light weight with my pro clutching and 16 wide track i just demolish my buddies M with the power claw and boss seat and his clutching.. The point is.. My more modded sled is better.. purely because i put more into it.. Thats the only way i could pass my opinion without being brand loyal, enjoy

Reactions: M7 man
S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
my dad owns a 08 m8 and i've rode it quite a bit, no comparison. lift up the front end of a doo and lift up an arctic cat, you'll put your back out trying to lift an M. yes the m's lean over easy in pow, but what sled doesnt? thing handles the same as our old 02 mtn cat. even with all their claims of 160+ hp it doesnt matter, they still are overly front heavy and handle like a wheel barrow.
they are reliable tho i wont lie, but they will never rival a doo.

Reactions: M7 man

mgdjeepster

Lifetime Membership
and what do u ride? polaris :face-icon-small-con
Hehehe........... yeah a polaris, or maybe a cat.......... maybe a vintage chassis 07 M1000 but has not had any problem walkin all over your 09 summit X's.......... I like ridin my buddies 09 xp but it has not kept up with mine........... granted I do have 200cc's over him (apples and oranges)............. but not according to the ski doo guys............ don't get me wrong I like that chassis but I got a good deal on mine where ski doo wouldn't even deal...........

S
Feb 6, 2008
I gotta say when the 05 M's came out I was in love with the chassis... hated the motor but loved the chassis. in 06 I got a summit X and once I got used to it I could not stand the the M anymore. To me the xp is very similar to the rev once set up, there fore FOR ME it destroys the M in the trees, hills, trail everywhere. Not really too fond of the 800r though either, guess I'm just getting picky with age

If anyone's passing out rep I'll take some...I wanna be cool too, good or bad its all in good fun

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
i said all along that cat was not going to make a m8 even close to the m1000 horse power----we'll see next fall where it ends up--150 to 155 would be a big improvement especially if they give it some bottom end power:beer;:beer;
that woud be a great sled for sure:eek:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
No bashing here just saying...

dont worry arctic cat will come out with something better when the better sled (the m) gets beat. its not all about a straight shot up the hill. M series has proven that it can out preform the xp in many different catagories...

The M series is a good chassis and it works for Cat, so if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Peeps can ride those sleds for sure. But for handling and control I will just sat this, my 09 XP has been in the same places as any M series I have ridden with has been, the only time that I haven't been in front breaking trail is when it was Bushmaster's turn to lead. I have taken mine through tight trees going up and down, I have outclimbed other M8s and been side by side with M1000s. Yeah, the sled is part of it but I am willing to bet that if a XP smokes a Cat or vice versa it's going to be from rider ability. IMO, these sleds are so evenly matched it really is hard to tell. Cat has the advantage because it has Burandt as a spokeseman, but if any of you actually knew him, you would know that he could do anything that he wanted to do on any sled. I just watched his stunt work in Babylon A.D. and well, he was doing his mastery on a Polaris IQ!

I have ridden all three sleds and they are very nice (cept Poo has been blowing motors everyday this season). I like my XP the best. For my build the M just doesn't cut it for me and the Poo feels funny when I ride it.

Does Cat really have a 160hp stock sled? No.
Does Ski Doo really weigh in at what they say it does? No.
Is Polaris reliable? No.

These are all lies spouted of by the manufacturer to lure in the sheep to buy their sled. The educated and experienced riders are going to buy what they want, no matter what any of the Big 3 say.

Reactions: Mtn. missle

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
The M series is a good chassis and it works for Cat, so if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Peeps can ride those sleds for sure. But for handling and control I will just sat this, my 09 XP has been in the same places as any M series I have ridden with has been, the only time that I haven't been in front breaking trail is when it was Bushmaster's turn to lead. I have taken mine through tight trees going up and down, I have outclimbed other M8s and been side by side with M1000s. Yeah, the sled is part of it but I am willing to bet that if a XP smokes a Cat or vice versa it's going to be from rider ability. IMO, these sleds are so evenly matched it really is hard to tell. Cat has the advantage because it has Burandt as a spokeseman, but if any of you actually knew him, you would know that he could do anything that he wanted to do on any sled. I just watched his stunt work in Babylon A.D. and well, he was doing his mastery on a Polaris IQ!

I have ridden all three sleds and they are very nice (cept Poo has been blowing motors everyday this season). I like my XP the best. For my build the M just doesn't cut it for me and the Poo feels funny when I ride it.

Does Cat really have a 160hp stock sled? No.
Does Ski Doo really weigh in at what they say it does? No.
Is Polaris reliable? No.

These are all lies spouted of by the manufacturer to lure in the sheep to buy their sled. The educated and experienced riders are going to buy what they want, no matter what any of the Big 3 say.

PJ, that is one of the most honest sled comparisons I have heard on here..thanks...too many guys are my brand rules everything else sucks...blaw-blaw-blaw...I too have ridden all 3 brands, and I could own and ride any of them..but I own a poo cause it is what feels best to my riding style...all have issues as well as abilities peculiar to the brand,

S
Feb 6, 2008
You put a good rider on any of these new machines and they just flat do anything. I've beat some M's and plain just been beat by them. A guy just has to buy what makes him feel more confident on the snow

C
Oct 31, 2008
2010 cat ho motor has been dynoed at 163 on the same dyno that put the xp 800 at 147 hp.
The 3 were all within a couple hp of each other for 2009, but next season you guys will all be hard pressed to mark with the new box stock cat motor.:rose:

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
2010 cat ho motor has been dynoed at 163 on the same dyno that put the xp 800 at 147 hp.
The 3 were all within a couple hp of each other for 2009, but next season you guys will all be hard pressed to mark with the new box stock cat motor.:rose:
psh still its still gonna be a heavy pile with a 15 wide digger track. Ill keep my Doo. Im glad the bank wouldnt give me a loan to get an 09 M8, i decided id rather ride an RT1000 151 next year!!

D
Jan 29, 2009
m chassis riders are like banshee riders! they love their outdated machinery and refuse to believe in or try something new:beer; my .02

Reactions: RKT
C
Nov 28, 2008
I ride an xp and ride with a bunch of cats. whats so outdated with the cats chassie? just cause it been around for awhile doesnt make it out dated.
if it's not broke why fix it. I feel if the m8 had more grunt it would be a sled I would consider riding my self. i just happen to like the low end grunt of the xp. I've never seen a hill that and xp could climb that an m8 could not. and vis versa.

Reactions: BossRev and RKT
X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
Third ride today on new 09 XP in some awesome snow. This sled really works good and after some suspension changes (first ride almost couldn't ride it) it handles so well and carves like a feather. It handles as good as any chassis out there now, I could drop down into anything and carve out with ease, then on the trail, wow it eats bumps and wheelies over everything, couldn't pry it away from me. :D

Premium Features