• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08/09 800 recall...

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
Did your dealer require you to change your fuel filter or can with your kit?

akrevrider

you only need the can if you ride in lower elivations. u do not have to change the can if your runnin the slp can-thats good for both elivations.

we have done 6 sleds-now its the waiting game untill we get more hopefully next week

Reactions: akrevrider
A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
you only need the can if you ride in lower elivations. u do not have to change the can if your runnin the slp can-thats good for both elivations.

we have done 6 sleds-now its the waiting game untill we get more hopefully next week

Are you changing any fuel filters on sleds that have under 1000 miles/Kms
and are any of them plugged or blocked up in any way?

Skibreeze tracked his sled's issues directly to a clogged fuel filter in his Dragon.

Makes me wonder if it is good preventive maintenance to just change it on low mileage sleds anyways.

Thanks for the feedback.

akrevrider

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
Getting my '09 D8 155 out of storage tomorrow and going into the dealer on Monday. My dealer states that they have the update kits in stock and ready to install. So, mine should be done sometime late next week.

M

MN 660

Nov 27, 2007
MN
800 IQ 09 Switchback in MN

Got my recall letter Thursday, 9/17/09 from Polaris. Talked to my dealer and he will upgrade the new black heavy steel silencer that Polaris supplies as part of the recall kit with a new light weight ceramic coated from SLP. Nice to have a dealer that supports his customers!

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
Are you changing any fuel filters on sleds that have under 1000 miles/Kms
and are any of them plugged or blocked up in any way?

Skibreeze tracked his sled's issues directly to a clogged fuel filter in his Dragon.

Makes me wonder if it is good preventive maintenance to just change it on low mileage sleds anyways.

Thanks for the feedback.

akrevrider

There not leaving here unless the filter is replaced, its a cheap maintance deal, and with todays fuel- around mn its only good for a month before it starts braking down and clogging stuff.

Reactions: akrevrider
M

m7arcticcat

Nov 15, 2008
Colorado
My ASSults top end went down 2 times last year. The second time they ran out of parts and had the sled for 5 weeks. Overall out of the 5 months of riding season the thing was in the shop over 2 months. Now when I stop in to dealer to get update they say they are going to put you on THE LIST, and will call ya when they have time to fix. Yea I have a $hit list too, and Polaris is on it. Then you hear thru the grape vine(the only real truth about whats going on) that they are doing all the leftover dealership sleds first. Great for the dealer, screw the rider. Then you hear of a buddy who is a friend of the dealer saying they are doing his sled next week. This sled has never been down and was not even purchased their. WT$ Now I hear they are getting thin on update kits. I am so frustrated about the whole situation my butt hole can't take anymore. If they run out of parts and tell me mine are on back order, I need to have someone ready to bail me out of Jail. I think I am going to turn in to a tree hugger and just forget about this sport. You can only be screwed so many times before you turn into a bitter slut. You call the Polaris 800 # and get the run around and they turn you back to the dealer. Why do you think I called your stupid 800# lady, because I can not handle the run around from the dealer. The dealer blames Polaris, polaris blames the dealer. Then while your at the dealer they are crying about sales and want you to buy stuff. It is very difficult to buy something else when the last thing you bought is a piece of junk. I have contacted lawyers and their only concern is how much mony they will make, they could give a crap about you. The only thing I have left is threats, like that will do anything and its not the machanics fault. They better not run out of parts on me, thats all I can say. Thanks for letting me vent before my wife kills me over this. Let it snow, let it snow!!

S
Nov 27, 2007
SK
Called the Poo dealer today and got my sled booked for repair in two weeks. Its a 3 hour drive to get there, but, its worth every minute of the drive. The local dealer hasnt ordered the kits yet and I'm not about to wait for them either.

I agree with the fuel filter comments as well...gotta do it.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
My ASSults top end went down 2 times last year. The second time they ran out of parts and had the sled for 5 weeks. Overall out of the 5 months of riding season the thing was in the shop over 2 months. Now when I stop in to dealer to get update they say they are going to put you on THE LIST, and will call ya when they have time to fix. Yea I have a $hit list too, and Polaris is on it. Then you hear thru the grape vine(the only real truth about whats going on) that they are doing all the leftover dealership sleds first. Great for the dealer, screw the rider. Then you hear of a buddy who is a friend of the dealer saying they are doing his sled next week. This sled has never been down and was not even purchased their. WT$ Now I hear they are getting thin on update kits. I am so frustrated about the whole situation my butt hole can't take anymore. If they run out of parts and tell me mine are on back order, I need to have someone ready to bail me out of Jail. I think I am going to turn in to a tree hugger and just forget about this sport. You can only be screwed so many times before you turn into a bitter slut. You call the Polaris 800 # and get the run around and they turn you back to the dealer. Why do you think I called your stupid 800# lady, because I can not handle the run around from the dealer. The dealer blames Polaris, polaris blames the dealer. Then while your at the dealer they are crying about sales and want you to buy stuff. It is very difficult to buy something else when the last thing you bought is a piece of junk. I have contacted lawyers and their only concern is how much mony they will make, they could give a crap about you. The only thing I have left is threats, like that will do anything and its not the machanics fault. They better not run out of parts on me, thats all I can say. Thanks for letting me vent before my wife kills me over this. Let it snow, let it snow!!

all i can say is you are a better man than me cause i would already be in jail or my sled would be done. some of you guys have had to put up with more crap than i would ever take. kudos to you. hope everything works out for ya.

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
I feel your pain man . All I have to say is this better work or I am done with polaris . They could make a 400 lbs , 200hp sled and I won't buy it if this don't work right this time . I have a friend that rides cat and all he can say is ULTRA Day's are here again . Ultra , 900 , crank problems in the old 800 and now 800 clean fire what is next ?

M

m7arcticcat

Nov 15, 2008
Colorado
Biggdawg thanks for the reply. I have been riding for over 30 years now. This assult is my 26th sled that I have bought and the best riding sled I have ever owned. Not the fastest thing in the world, but 23 Cats, 2 Poos and 1 1979 Scorpian TK 440. My stupid brothers would run the scorp and forget about the pre-mix thing with oil and run it on straight gas and that never blew up. If you are a dealer and you know you have a dozen or so customers that are die hard snowmobilers that their 2008 & 2009 top of the line sled blew up numerous times don't you think when you got 20 kits in you would call them first or would you do your own **** first. I am amazed at the response I get back from everyone at Polaris. Its like they are doing you a favor. The airlines would treat their customers like that and whats left are lucky to be in business today. I was just amazed when I called and they said I will put you on the list. What does that mean??? I know what it means, when I am done doing our own stuff and my friends maybe if you stop calling me we will call you back. EVERYONE AT POLARIS SHOULD BE DISGUSTED WITH WHAT THEY CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE. The 80/20 rule, 80% of your business comes from 20% of your customers. If your piss on most of them you will not be in business period!!!!

A
Dec 11, 2007
Took mine in.... 08 D8 163

Picked it up in late 07. Ran good for the first 100 miles..... Since then it has sucked a$$ except above 4500'. (Gotta love AK!)

So have had an experimental flash, first top end update, additional reflash, and a tps recalibration. It only has 650 miles, but thats because I refused to ride it last year except to test changes and recalibrations on trips where I ride with the kids at less than 1000' elevation (the lowest we ride, if it runs good there it'll run anywhere).

Anyways, I refuse to PAY for a fuel filter until 1000 miles as the manual states, and I WILL NOT pay for a can for my machine until my sled is fixed. If it blows with the stock '08 can and filter, then polaris can continue to rebuild it until the warranty is up and I'll pipe it then.

If it NEEDS to be done on my low elevation RMK then they can pay for it as they have done on the 800SP for the flatland guys. THANKS POLARIS.

Just had to vent a little:beer;

rmkboy38

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2008
ME
08/09 Recall

Anybody else a little bit pissed that Polaris is going to replace the can as part of the update on all short tracks & switchback's & not the RMK's?
I run mine mostly under 4000' & they suggest you buy a new can at reduced cost.
Seems like if they know there is an issue with the can they ought to replace all of them.
Just my $.02

Last edited:
L
Aug 2, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Anybody else a little bit pissed that Polaris is going to replace the can as part of the update on all short tracks & switchback's & not the RMK's?
I run mine mostly under 4000' & they suggest you buy a new can at reduced cost.
Seems like if they knows there is an issue with the can they ought to replace all of them.
Just my $.02

Ya...it's a complete load of SH%$ that we gotta spend money on parts that we will have to run in order to warranty the update on an engine that they originally screwed up on!!!

Premium Features