• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08/09 800 recall...

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
If I'm remembering right, the fuel map was still "EPA approval pending" when the webinar took place. Until that is settled, nothing will happen. However, I do suspect that this update will coincide with production components for the '10 sleds becoming available (since that is what some of the parts are). My dealer told me he expected some time in Sept. for parts, even if they do make an announcement of some sort on the 15th.

L

Lovesnow

Nov 26, 2007
North Dakota
Why is everyone in such a hurry, did I miss a big snow storm somewhere????????? Let Polaris take the time to get it right. I don't understand some of you. If they rush a fix, and don't get it right you *****. If they take their time and try to do it right you ***** again. I don't like the problems with the 800's any better than the next guy, but as long as Polaris comes up with a ( Good ) fix for the problems, and get's the fix out before winter, I will be happy. Just my .02

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
Why is everyone in such a hurry, did I miss a big snow storm somewhere????????? Let Polaris take the time to get it right. I don't understand some of you. If they rush a fix, and don't get it right you *****. If they take their time and try to do it right you ***** again. I don't like the problems with the 800's any better than the next guy, but as long as Polaris comes up with a ( Good ) fix for the problems, and get's the fix out before winter, I will be happy. Just my .02

the overall solution to the problem is proper R and D on poos time and not OURs!
granted all manufactures have their problems but poo is knocking on the door of a full decade of 800(not to mention the 900) problems. with this said after my run with them i moved on to a different manufacturer. in this very short seasonal sport a day missed can have a profound impact on you and your ridding buddies.(the guys who loses a day dragging your but out). so if you pay the cash out for a new sled you should get a working piece not a POS.
I have a good riding bud who missed the first two mouths of ridding because poo could not get the 08 800 out to the dealers on time and after this every 700 miles like a turkey timer the motor was done. The next year he lost three mouths when in the end of February the same problem and it has sat at the dealer since MARCH 1 09 and is STILL there!

BE patient MY AZZ.
if i did this with my biz i would have the local news paper as a bed sheet!

N
Nov 7, 2008
patience is a virtue ..... they say!

wow, be patient????? my first 800 poo was an 04 with crank problems, then thankfully I skipped the whole 900 episode, my next 800 was and 08, three engines in 700 miles later, I traded that one in on an 09, because the 09 was "FIXED" and three engines later (only 400 miles) here we are.

As well, everyone talks about the fabled 60 days. I was told about that back in about April, here we are, hmmmm, about 100 days out and still nothing released, other than a piece of paper, that incidentally I have only seen on snowmbobile websites, nothing seems to be official by way of dealer.

By the end of Oct, we will be, I mean should be if we have running sleds, riding here, and looking at polaris' performance with deadlines, I'm getting a little concerned, not only have they not 'OFFICIALLY' released anything, they certainly have not started shipping a whole lot of parts.

I know there are some guys on here that are from dealers, and likely some poo insiders, that are giving some info, and I do appreciate that, BUT, my hometown dealer still knows nothing or very little!

I guess if I don't have patience now, (after two years)then polaris is going to teach me patience.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, WA
The only way my local dealer even got to watch this entire webinar on this problem was due to the fact I mentioned something to him the day before. I agree with all the mentioned above as I am an 08 800 owner as well. We can only hope that this is legit and will work. I think Polaris is doing this "fix" because they understand they've made significant errors from 2005 to current with their 800 / 900 models. If this is for real I think they are making the correct changes to give us a reliable sled and for them to warranty the motor through the snow season says something as well. Just My 2

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
The only way my local dealer even got to watch this entire webinar on this problem was due to the fact I mentioned something to him the day before. I agree with all the mentioned above as I am an 08 800 owner as well. We can only hope that this is legit and will work. I think Polaris is doing this "fix" because they understand they've made significant errors from 2005 to current with their 800 / 900 models. If this is for real I think they are making the correct changes to give us a reliable sled and for them to warranty the motor through the snow season says something as well. Just My 2

this is great for them to offer a warranty to cover the very piss poor engineering of the product(s) but how may guys lost day/s of riding/hotel/gas/travel time ect. At least my local auto dealer can have my rig back in two day or less. if thay call and tell my my rig will be out of service for "60 days" (6 mo)i should at least get a loaner. IMO a dealer should have a fix in no less than 10 biz days. back to my original statement (almost a decade of problems with the 800/900)
images

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA

Just because some are not as complacent as you does not make them wrong, and it doesnt make them Bit__ch_ing as you imply. If it was not for the very vocal ones these problems would be on the back burner and/or not addressed at all. It has nothing to do with a rush job. Instead it has everything to do with putting a fire under the arse of a big money making corporation and having them show some corporate responsibility. It doesnt hurt anything for people to have a vent or release for their frustrations, it is healthy. If you sat home for the better part of a season while everyone around you was having a great time you would think differently I would hope. Please try to understand the frustration of those that have had problems and the lip service they get instead of a valid repair from the Poo giant.

I dont see how it would be a "rush job" of any sort. This is a two stroke motor with fuel injection...nothing very new here or rocket science either.

They have had TWO YEARS to get this right. These issues are long standing not to mention the long wait (up to two months for parts ) if your sled went down during the riding season. Think about that! Then if you have a family with sleds...your wife and kids wont be able, for the most part, to ride either. Loaners are typically not utilized so you have a ruined riding season..mine siezed up while on vacation on the first day of the trip!

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho

i never had any issues to speak of, and i'll probably be paying for the parts of this "update" kit that i want... i'm in a hurry for them to release it because my sled is a show sled and our first show is September 25th which is not very far away... and if i dont have a motor in my sled for that show its going to look stupid... with that said HURRY THE F*** up polaris i want my new parts!

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
800 recall

Talk to my dealer today he said to call him next week and set up a time to bring my sled in, it will get new pistons - head - and new program, all so need to put a new fuel filter, did not ask if I have to pay for the filter. They are going to hone the cylinders or replace any that are bad. Hope this will make the sled more reliable, I really like mine and wanted to keep it for a few years.

IF SNOWMOBILING IS WRONG
THEN I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT

Last edited:
G
Dec 2, 2008
Quebec, Ca
Talk to my dealer today he said to call him next week and set up a time to bring my sled in, it will get new pistons - head - and new program, all so need to put a new fuel filter, did not ask if I have to pay for the filter. They are going to hone the cylinders or replace any that are bad. Hope this will make the sled more reliable, I really like mine and wanted to keep it for a few years.

IF SNOWMOBILING IS WRONG
THEN I DON'T WANT TO BE WRIGHT

the recall included new design cylinders

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
the recall included new design cylinders

no the update only changes pistons, head and fuel map..the 2010 sleds come with new cylinders that have more meat at the base to better support the pistons, the top half of the crankcase is also redesigned to allow installation of the cylinders..the 2010 cylinder will not fit the 08 or 09 case without changing the top half of the case and align boring the mains...
and the fuel filter is a customer pay item since it is considered maintainance..

T
Dec 4, 2007
aaahhhhh, It's slowly making sense why it took so damn long to test the "fix". they prob had the 2010 engine done in the spring, and spent the rest of the summer testing the 09 cyl. I'm in the Army, and they come out with new and great things all the time. but by the time it makes it to the field (us), its a cheap POS. We joke about the Execs, by saying "Wow, thats great! The costumer will love that! BUT, can you make it cheaper??" "Sure, but its going to be a pile of ****!" "Great, We'll take it!!"

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Fix On Fail...

Is the update a "Fix on Fail" item only or can I bring in a running sled and have them perform the update? Last year the dealer rep. told me it was "FOF".

K
Nov 26, 2007
Creston BC
Got my letter today but not sure where I'm going to take the machine for the work to be done. My dealer disappeared in a ball of fire and smoke last New Years and not a word has been heard about him since. What are other Kootenay Sleds customers doing?

Premium Features