• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 vs 07 800 rev

I am looking to trade up at the local stealership (that seems about the only way to buy new and sell my old in this economy). I have an 03 zx chassis summit (see sig below) and am looking at 06 and 07 rev chassis. I need 151 or 159 and it needs to be an X package and would like e-start. Have heard about engine and clutching problems in the 07 but are they really that bad compared to an 06 (which is bringing the same price these days). The 06 seems to be solid as a rock and are we talking 1 in 10 of the 07's is bad news or 1 in 1000? I dont care that much about color but am more worried about towing out junk or having to leave it sit in the bush till spring because of blown crank or something similar. We ride in snowies mainly but some CO areas in the future and am not real crazy about the new lite track in 07. What are other people's opinions of this new track in these areas?

Where would the money be best spent 06 or 07.

Thanks for opinions and experiences. If I cant get this dilemma solved I may have to resort to buying an m-series,

There have been some clutch updates but the dealer should take care of that for free.
If the 07 has the Lite track then I would just go with the 06 unless you want to replace the track which an 07 with a camo extreme would be one kickars sled.

It depends on what kind of rider you are, I own a 07 800R, and what I have found to be the worst problem is the clutching/dropping RMP under load, parts are constantly wearing out, and having to be replaced 2-3 times a year to keep it operating at peak performance, TurboAl has a thread on here somewhere, as to why this happens, its a good read for 07 800R owners. That being said, not everyone is as picky as I am though as far as how the machine performs and might be willing to deal with it for longer, but clutching is an issue with these. The 06 is about as solid as they come, never had any issues while out with the 06, but there is a pretty significant power difference in my opinion. If you do not want to tinker with your sled, yet demand top performance, the 06 is the way to go. If you want more power, and don't mind doing some clutch work, the 07 has been a great sled for me, and I am happy with it.

It depends on what kind of rider you are, I own a 07 800R, and what I have found to be the worst problem is the clutching/dropping RMP under load, parts are constantly wearing out, and having to be replaced 2-3 times a year to keep it operating at peak performance, TurboAl has a thread on here somewhere, as to why this happens, its a good read for 07 800R owners. That being said, not everyone is as picky as I am though as far as how the machine performs and might be willing to deal with it for longer, but clutching is an issue with these. The 06 is about as solid as they come, never had any issues while out with the 06, but there is a pretty significant power difference in my opinion. If you do not want to tinker with your sled, yet demand top performance, the 06 is the way to go. If you want more power, and don't mind doing some clutch work, the 07 has been a great sled for me, and I am happy with it.

I am not afraid to do some clutch work as I ride at home (1300ft), the black hills of SD(5700-6900ft) and WY (9500-11000ft) and have to clutch and adjust everywhere we go. That is why quick clickers are a must, but the bushings and stuff that go bad are a joke and a pain but if you are changing pin weight its right there to check to whatever I guess. I would really like the power. Does a good clutch kit fix most of the problems?

I am not afraid to do some clutch work as I ride at home (1300ft), the black hills of SD(5700-6900ft) and WY (9500-11000ft) and have to clutch and adjust everywhere we go. That is why quick clickers are a must, but the bushings and stuff that go bad are a joke and a pain but if you are changing pin weight its right there to check to whatever I guess. I would really like the power. Does a good clutch kit fix most of the problems?

I have heard good things about the clutch kit, then others said it didnt do much on their 07, my guess would be how much time you spend to dial it in, I think it would help. its the rollers on mine that keep going, to much side to side play.

check this thread out for some good info on the 07
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92640

one thing I can say though, once dialed in, these are pretty nice machines.

I have an 07 r and my brother-in-law has an 06 (both Adrenaline) both have ate a crank, and my 07 besides the crank has given me zero issues. I would go 07 if it has a new motor, simply because it has more power.

06 and no worries, 07 tic toc ? and I also think that from a re-sale perspective the 06 may be better. Good luck with your decision.

Get the 07 and buy the moveable sheave assm from a 09 XP and your clutching issues would be eliminated.

07 has a lot more potential than the HO engines. I have had 08 and 09 xp's as well as 05-07 rev's and the 07 is by far my favorite and the sled I currently have now. I bought a used XRS after I sold my 09 and have been very glad that I did. The engine may go or it may not, I am willing to take that chance for a very fun ride, puts a smile on my face every time I ride.

I find it tough to believe that you sold your xp to go back to an 07 model but hey its your opinion.

Believe it, I had a tough time doing it but once I did I was very glad. I was surprised to find myself not enjoying riding on my 09 XP was very weird and depressing.:confused:

The XP is an awesome sled no doubt about it but I actually have more fun riding a rev than a XP. Also, I liked my 08 XP better than my 09, that one even baffles me but it was the truth. I am not a huge climbing guy I much prefer riding the trees and more technical stuff anf the rev is much more fun to ride for that style. You put the REV and the XP side by side stock for stock straight up the hill and the XP will spank it every time, oh well.

I was torn between a 06 and 07 but took a chance on the engine with the 07 cause the BB kits are much more powerful on the r engine than the HO.

Hopefully when I am done with my 07 this summer it will beat the majority of the XP's out there, time will tell but it is going to be a fun project.

I find it tough to believe that you sold your xp to go back to an 07 model but hey its your opinion.
If you like to carve and sidehill.....put a blindfold on and ride both, I bet you pick the 07 and think it's the newer of the 2....

Premium Features

Back