• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thought the powerclaw was suppose to improve my sled

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I ride a rev and love it. Will never go back to a 15 wide track on a mountain sled, just my preferance, and i like to keep my 1M short for just playing and trail riding as this is where my HP is.. My cat is FAAAAST, the rev isnt but dominates in the powder (quite a few light weight goodies) but the RT could put such a hurting on both of our sleds.. I dont much care for the experience other people have with a sled because for 1 i dont ride stock sleds, expecially crappy running Doos, 2 the 16 wide 151 is my bread and butter, 3 i love the power of the RT. im 6'3 200 lbs so boondocking an RT or anything doesnt seem like half the work a lot of people make it out too be. A lot of people say they run like chit too and iv rode an 05 that was that way but.. Its a risk im willing to take. 170horse and 490 lbs, i think ill enjoy the RT and my buddy plans to do the same too his. A timbersled skid makes a world of a difference on a Doo. He loves the M but when he isnt getting a 50mph run at the mountain (tree riding) hes buried constantly. When i can park next too him and dig him out, ski pull, then drive off. Yes my revs super light but his M according to him is only 20lbs heavier so he shouldnt have any problem with me (said that at the beginning of the season..
When cat drops a wider track in, sign me back up.. Till then, its an RT or another rev, but a 144!! Thanks for being civil bout my opinions on the subject wyoboy! A lot of people cant have a convo on this forum without getting offended and freaking out! But i like arctic cat the most, but a clutched REV is hard too beat from what iv been up against

T
Jan 19, 2009
Georgetown ca
I have riden a sled with the PC, I also have a M7 with A20 and a M7 with the 2.5 CE, So far that 2.5 camo extreme has been the best all around track for me.
The power claw seems to trench at low speeds under 5mph.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
It almost sounds like the tunnel mod might be making a diff for the use of a PC over a A20. From what I recall if it wasn't for the new tunnel design I know there are times I would have been stuck on take off. But just as fast as it drops it pops right back up. But the hcr track is another story as well.
I used to be a die hard ski doo guy and still love them, Last year I got a screamin deal on a used 07 m1000 and figured if I didn't like it I could sell it and make money. never road it stock, slp kit right from the get go. One of the guys I ride knows how to make the doo work he will show up with boxes of clutch stuff and test until its dialed in. The closest doo to my 07 was a 08 xp 154 800 and I had a scuffed piston and only running 7300rpm, they shoot out of the hole but in a few sled lengths I blow past them. My 09 stock would beat my 07. I'm not dogging on the rev very fun sled but absolutely no comparison to my M. Mine did seem to be a runner unlike some of the others I road with. I am also the heavist in or group at 210 no gear and 6'6". and I ride a 162, a little more to turn in the trees but not a prob for me, the two wheel kit help a lot. I have dropped about 30lbs( so should weigh around 485lbs ) and rated around 200hp, and reliable. Almost all the doo guys I ride with around here have all looked at there sleds(doos) and said this sure ain't no m1000 is it. After what I experienced I hate to see someone go down hill, but I understand there are a lot of variables and may be diff where you are, may just be a diff in rider stile? best of luck.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
You people make the HCR track out to be a huge difference over the softer PC track... there just isnt that much difference in the powder. On set up snow the stiffer track hooks up better (half sled length out of the hole), and coming down the hills its faster (dont follow too close). But as far as flotation in the powder, there is not a noticable difference...

W
Aug 20, 2008
utah
You people make the HCR track out to be a huge difference over the softer PC track... there just isnt that much difference in the powder. On set up snow the stiffer track hooks up better (half sled length out of the hole), and coming down the hills its faster (dont follow too close). But as far as flotation in the powder, there is not a noticable difference...

i agree your sled floats great.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Doesn't your buddy ride a x-fire? 141x15 compared to a 151x16? Stuck on flat ground sounds more like rider error than a track.
huh? Its 153 pclaw, i said 151X16 because he switched to Doo. The 141 is going on my mountain cat if i decide i like the Pclaw. I could put a 144X16 on the cat and love it but the pclaw is lighter and 15 wide so i want to give it a try.. http://www.myspace.com/423348306 -pics there

Wyo-Sounds like i should be getting a bigbore for thev REV!! :) If i got my timbersled rev up from 135hp then we could trde hits on the hill all day!!

The sleds all have bad days, iv been riding that rev and watched my bros 670 summit walk right by in powder, they all have bad days. 6100rpm at WOT doesnt help either*
Hes gonna love the RT and i know for a fact i will.. Cant afford to buy the newest and lightest iron so its cheaper to take what iv got an make em the same if not lighter than the new stuff. Just need to catch up in power? ;)

* and lets be honest, its kind of hard to compare 09 M1000s with all the necessary mods to almost anything but the RT, which is still heavier than the M. Its a dominating sled if you ride it right, thats what it was built for

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The hcr track in most cases doesn't change much over the softer pc. but you aply the power to weight and diff snow conditions at times there is a diff.

If you don't have the money to buy new I agree, But I sold my 07 under $6000 and have seen them for $5000. For 5000 and the $1000+ for the slp kit = $6000+ for a 190+hp sled I don't think a rt for that kind of money will compare, unless you find a great deal. I have 11,500 in my 09 and there is no comparison to it and a rt1000 that rips with same mods(intake, pipe, sorry just not a chance. But I have never riden at sea level or in alaska and things may be diff. but between Eastern WA and WY I'm still waiting for the doo to one up me. I don't mind getting beat either gives me reason to find something better. I wish I could get up there and compare, the way you talk I'm curious of the outcome. If your happy with it thats all that matters anyway.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The hcr track in most cases doesn't change much over the softer pc. but you aply the power to weight and diff snow conditions at times there is a diff.

If you don't have the money to buy new I agree, But I sold my 07 under $6000 and have seen them for $5000. For 5000 and the $1000+ for the slp kit = $6000+ for a 190+hp sled I don't think a rt for that kind of money will compare, unless you find a great deal. I have 11,500 in my 09 and there is no comparison to it and a rt1000 that rips with same mods(intake, pipe, sorry just not a chance. But I have never riden at sea level or in alaska and things may be diff. but between Eastern WA and WY I'm still waiting for the doo to one up me. I don't mind getting beat either gives me reason to find something better. I wish I could get up there and compare, the way you talk I'm curious of the outcome. If your happy with it thats all that matters anyway.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
HP mods on a Doo?? Not for me BRO! (thats for whoever red reppd me)

Your probably right, but why give up the chassi that i like more (rev) for a chassi that i like less? I would love to know another guy who rides a non "brapper" rev but i dont, only ride with polaris and cats.. So im waiting for a Doo to one up me also lol.

We could ride right to turnagain pass, ride a mountain at sea level and play in some deeep snow. Would you say an RT, no longer than 151, mountain tamer skid, barkbuster front end (if they make one) Can, DJ clutching, stock airbox probly cuz i like having an air box (feel the same way bout "cold air intakes") and some odd and end thing removed. IT would be very competitive with an M1000, only thing you would have on me is hp because well.. i dont like modding Doo engines. I know this is keyboard racing but im sure i could keep. If you make it up or i make down (not likely) then call it a trip!

O ya for the *** who red reppd me, BRO BRO BRO, 16 wide 16 wide ride ak ride ak (which i never said, and never do say).. swallow that C*** boy!!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I think it would hang up until it got to the steep and deep. But if you can make it over the top it wouldn't be far behind, only the places you couldn't make are the places the M would really shine. even though you are a lot shorter than a 162 this 09 with the new two wheel design turns on a dime, My only prob is I have to do a lot of track steering when I hit the throttle. My cousin has a 144 rev 800 and if the snow conditions are right he goes where we do so it all depends on conditions and what kind of riding. For me the sled I have does the all around best.

I understand not wanting to mod a doo, the only thing I would do to a doo is a can, clutching and then go after the light weight stuff, x2 on that.

Also agree with the keyboard 1/4 mile, but I'm not working till the ground dries out so its better than sitting around:D

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I think it would hang up until it got to the steep and deep. But if you can make it over the top it wouldn't be far behind, only the places you couldn't make are the places the M would really shine. even though you are a lot shorter than a 162 this 09 with the new two wheel design turns on a dime, My only prob is I have to do a lot of track steering when I hit the throttle. My cousin has a 144 rev 800 and if the snow conditions are right he goes where we do so it all depends on conditions and what kind of riding. For me the sled I have does the all around best.

I understand not wanting to mod a doo, the only thing I would do to a doo is a can, clutching and then go after the light weight stuff, x2 on that.

Also agree with the keyboard 1/4 mile, but I'm not working till the ground dries out so its better than sitting around:D
HAHA lucky! I just have the day off so im soaking it up lol. Well im not scared to go in the tight trees with any M or any sled. Track speed is a mother****** in the trees and i wouldnt plan on letting off at any point, i would make it worth the time. Assuming you meant the M shines in the trees? Already have a 2 wheel kit but the only diff is the M, like the IQ, gets high centered where the REV picks the front off the ground and can carve on any dime you throw at me. Same as sidehilling, sure it stays flat but that means its draggin through the snow, get on it, on my rev sidehilling and it basically wheelies across the side of the hill now. Comes in handy climbing through the trees as long as i dont get it too hard and flip it. The skid helps though, you gotta really want it to flip back to flip it now

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I know what you mean by pin it and pull the skis off the ground. The other 09 m1000's ( they where all setup the same as mine)I ride with don't pull the skis much more than a foot where mine will pull them 1-3ft off the ground, and on almost any hill I could pull it over on me(done it 3 times now). I don't know what the diff is but the genII skis I had on my 07 that I absolutely loved on that sled got taken off the 09 due to the fact my 09 never puts them on the ground and made them useless.

R
Feb 2, 2008
Grande Prairie
on my sled stock, the 046 was waaay better for climbing than the 060. You pick up about 200 more RPM BUT more heat because of it and its a little harder belt.

Go to the hill and let your brother do a few high marks and sit and have a beer while watching him letting your belt temps cool down. Then blow the doors off your brother!!

when my belt and clutches are hot, and i mean you can't hold your hand on them for more than 2 seconds, i can almost get highmarked by an XP that had just let his belt cool. Let mine cool down and nooo chance in hell!

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Aftermarket skis are useless except for looks. Im gonna throw some slydogs on next year though as my revs an 05, and those skis are pretty heavy and goofy looking

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Aftermarket skis are useless except for looks. Im gonna throw some slydogs on next year though as my revs an 05, and those skis are pretty heavy and goofy looking

I will argue that into the ground, the Gen II kicked A on the 07, but the 07 didn't transfer as well as the 09 keeping the front down, and I had no prob sidehilling or any thing, they where a vast improvement on the 07, they also do everything better on the 09 but because of the 2 wheel on the 09 changed the geometry of the tipping point along with the diff skid setup I didn't care for the feel of it sidehilling and like I said they where never on the ground, also they weigh 6+lbs more, worth it on the 07 not on the 09. the stock skis are a joke.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Eh, iv never changed the skis. Only point i see too is stop it from darting and drop the weight off the sled. The REV chassi is a wheelie machine, The 1M is a wheelie machine, My 670 Summit was a wheelie machine, never saw a need for different skis in my time riding.. My 95 phazer had really wide skis..

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
=For 5000 and the $1000+ for the slp kit = $6000+ for a 190+hp sled I don't think a rt for that kind of money will compare, unless you find a great deal. I have 11,500 in my 09 and there is no comparison to it and a rt1000 that rips with same mods(intake, pipe, sorry just not a chance. But I have never riden at sea level or in alaska and things may be diff. but between Eastern WA and WY I'm still waiting for the doo to one up me.QUOTE]

Hey WyoBoy. Where in wyoming do you usually ride? id like to put my RT with your M1000. Never ridden with a cat that says there sled is running good when i ride with them so would actually like to see how they compare. Nothing too major with mine either.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
=For 5000 and the $1000+ for the slp kit = $6000+ for a 190+hp sled I don't think a rt for that kind of money will compare, unless you find a great deal. I have 11,500 in my 09 and there is no comparison to it and a rt1000 that rips with same mods(intake, pipe, sorry just not a chance. But I have never riden at sea level or in alaska and things may be diff. but between Eastern WA and WY I'm still waiting for the doo to one up me.QUOTE]

Hey WyoBoy. Where in wyoming do you usually ride? id like to put my RT with your M1000. Never ridden with a cat that says there sled is running good when i ride with them so would actually like to see how they compare. Nothing too major with mine either.

I normally ride the Big Horns(14A west side) and Cooke City, Just left the area and will be in WA for a while. where are you out of. I haven't found anyone that actually knows how to tune a m1000 in WY yet, a lot of good running m7 and m8's though. I know of one m8 that will beat a 09 m1000 with a y-pipe and can. One of my buddy's has beat a few m1000's on his m7, but he road my 07 and bought a 09.

I'll ride with anyone though the more the better in my opinion, I don't trash talk but I don't hold back either. I removed the stickers from my sled and since I did it when I ride up to someone they don't even ask what it is they just say what have you done and assume its a m1000. I was hoping i could get away with some m8 stickers:D

Premium Features