• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thought the powerclaw was suppose to improve my sled

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Put a new powerclaw on my 08 M1000 2 rides ago and got my a s s handed to me by my brothers 08 M1000 snopro. Both sleds are identical except for the tracks, same can, intake and both have the latest updates. In a drag race my sled seems a little faster but we went and did some climbing today and he could highmark me everytime. Didn't even help if i took a longer run at the hill than him. My sled seemed to be trenching much worse than his and it was very obvious when watching the video that he was holding a lot more speed when climbing. Steep, soft powder, not hero snow. I did also put a two wheel kit on my sled but i don't think this made any difference when it comes to climbing. Almost seemed like my sled had less power than his but like i stated earlier, i can win when we drag race. I THOUGHT THE POWERCLAW WAS KING??? :mad: Would sure like some input. Thanks.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Its not the Tracks Fault.... Maybe you Trenching Because you are setup wrong in the rear.......... ive seen 153 pc's go where 162's do in the deep. Maybe you should make sure your stuff is right before you make a claim. Btw im Installing this on my m7 mod.

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Both sleds are 153. I am not saying there is something wrong with the powerclaw. Was hoping for some ideas on suspension, clutch setup etc. Does the snopro use a different suspension setup or are just the shocks different? I am happy with my sled, just dissapointed that i could not blow my bro's doors off when highmarking after putting the powerclaw on. How about some ideas on suspension etc BOTTOMFEEDER. Would like some ideas and thanks for any help.

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
He is about 20lbs heavier than me but i pack more gear so i would think we are within 10lbs loaded. I just couldn't seem to keep my track speed up and am sure the trenching was because i was slowing down so much faster than him when climbing. Is the clutching the same between regular M1000 and snowpro. I realize my sled could make a little less power but why be faster when drag racing? The powerclaw should free up some power. It wouldn't bother me if it was close (when highmarking) but it was sooo obvious.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Did you put it on backwards? Put the claw on backwards and it would trench like crazy! Also look at your rear suspension setup as said before. Skid setup makes a BIG difference in how a sled does in the deep!

A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
Before?

What would happen before you put the track on, did they run the same? I've heard you have to change the clutch weights when you put the powerclaw on???

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Dealer installed track and it is not backward. Never had a chance to do a head to head comparison as far a highmarking in soft powder like we had yesterday.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
only track ive seen make a difference in fluff pow was attack 20 on a under powered m7.spinning any other track with a 1000 at mach 2 aint going to make much difference..imo.maybe your bro had less ski pressure,better belt or some other minor thing to win on the hill.

E
Apr 11, 2002
North Idaho
We had lots of deep this weekend and the power claw was amazing, I lost about 150 rpms with power claw which put me at 7850 which seems pretty good. I did move the suspsion in the back to the lower hole in the bracket. I am very impressed it reminded me off the attack 20 in the powder postion in the deep and in the hard pack it reminds me of the attack 20 in the hill climb postion. The only complaint is from ridding buddies the track throws hunks of snow and ice like crazy.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Your position baffles me! I have an 08 M1000 with a PC, and 2 wheel kit, and it SCHOOLS my buddy with an 08 M1000 Challenger in deep snow. Shouldn't have to change clutching for the track, but check your limiter strap and float PSI... something is NOT right. In light, fluffy, powdery snow, the power claw is a better track. Set up, deep heavy snow, the challenger is at least as good. Maybe up there you have heavier snow than here, but down here my power claw is the best powder track I have ever seen.

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
I can check to see if they sold me an HRC track by accident. It wasn't just the snow pro that outclimbed me but he jumped on his wifes completely stock 08 M1000, and i mean COMPLETELY STOCK and was able to blow past my marks also. Both sleds just seemed to keep their track speed much better. Maybe i will try a belt but still wonder why i can beat both of his sleds in a drag race but not on a climb.:(

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Sounds like the problem I had the other day. I normally run 7450 RPM's, and the other day I could only get 6800 to 7100. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it was a complete deal breaker on the hill in deep powder. Got whooped by a d8. This DOESN"T happen! Changed the belt, and the next day I was back to the highmark.

M

MAC29

Dec 9, 2007
eatonville,wa
Make sure your limiter strap is out, sounds like you belt is worn out. Won't show up in a drag but will pulling the hills.

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
I appreciate all of the help. I will put my spare new belt on the sled and check the limiter. Any more ideas?

J
Nov 26, 2007
what secondary rollers are you using and how many miles on them???? If they are stock and you have a few miles on the rollers they can look alright, and still have flat spots or too much side to side play and cause them to bind.

Premium Features