• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thought the powerclaw was suppose to improve my sled

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Why would you want to let you limiter strap out? All it would do is make it wheely

You would think so, but with my King cat I tightened the straps one hole to keep the skis down a little more, and then it started trenching (BAD).

Let them out and It's a climbing SOB in the Powder.

Off topic:
That doesn't stand true with every sled. With the Mountain Max, I had to tighten the limiter straps to shallow out the approach angle. It would plow before I did it. After I set it up right, It would climb pretty darn good.

G

gutterball

Dec 9, 2007
alberta
Definately take a look at the belt and do a clutch inspection. Last trip out my Old M7 that usually climbs very well was acting weak compared to the XP( with a larger rider) and the D7 we were with, after changing the belt and adding a little secondary tension it was a totally different ride, it was like going up a 100 cc's.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Whats ur Psi on your Rear shock. Im running 60 lbs. Never trench. 210 lbs with gear...

60psi in the rear shock!?!? Are you running 08-09 skid? most of us run 115 to 130. 60psi mine would be a bottoming SOB!

back on topic - the PC loads the motor more, and can cause you to lose rpms. what r's were you spinning?

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Why would you want to let you limiter strap out? All it would do is make it wheely

It gets the front end of the sled up on step easier.. In other words, your front end climbs up on top of the snow quicker and does not plow or nose dive into the powder.. Invision doing a "wheelie" on top of deep powder..

C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Did you try switching riders?? Not trying to say you can't ride, but this is the best way to compare two sleds in a hillclimb situation.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
yesterday I was riding with a TD8 that on some climbs he would just trench out then I pulled the whole shoot (not a real steep one) trenching a foot less and only moving a few miles an hour but it just kept pulling up over the top.
My sled is modded quite a bit but the td8 was not impressive compared to a none turbo but would pull steeper shoots with more momentum, it was running pretty fat as well but didn't want to risk a burn down, fact is his trenches where 2 1/2 ft deep and I stayed up on the snow. with the 46 belt I had more low end snap but with the 60 I lost the low end but gained it on the top end. I have a about a 1/4" of preload on the front skid shock and 155psi on the rear with limiters all the way out. Is your sled modded, did you watch your rpm on a climb. I think there is more to get out of my sled with clutching and think the extra bite of the pc takes different clutching. I cranked up my front skid shock once and got beat by an m7 and was trenching like a pipe crew. On my sled the pc hooks hard and wants to wheelie if your is doing the same without the new tunnel all you will do is drag the tunnel and loose speed, then wile the tunnel has drag on it the track will dig deeper.

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
Seems like most people figured belt. I checked and replaced the belt (had 700 miles on it) with a new 060. Old belt was definitely toast, kind of suprised it ran as good as it did after looking at the old belt. I guess we will see what the new powerclaw can do on Thursday when we go riding again. Will post results when we return. Been riding with the same people since we started sledding so i know it is not rider but i have had the opportunity to ride with a few very good riders lately and all i can say is WOW:eek:. Thanks again for all of the help everyone.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Got that pclaw on that M my bro rides.. I stated this in another post but it was in the doo thread aand its just a bash sesh but anywho, it does trench.. I had such high hopes for it. He isnt impressed with it at all and misses the attack 20. 2 guys experience with it, 2 thumbs down

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Got that pclaw on that M my bro rides.. I stated this in another post but it was in the doo thread aand its just a bash sesh but anywho, it does trench.. I had such high hopes for it. He isnt impressed with it at all and misses the attack 20. 2 guys experience with it, 2 thumbs down

setup is a big deal.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Figured somebody would say that. Weve tried the shocks and strap on different and moved the rear arm in different spots.. Neither of us liked it over the A20, although it is an improvement as far as the challenger he tried went and the brakes are great. Hes switching to a 16 challenger anyway so hes over it.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
alaska. He rode it saturday and the snow was super set up so it wasnt too bad but he still couldnt hole shot like his a20. Started riding sunday but his cooler got ripped off jumping and ran out of coolant lol. I cant speak for all the snow hes rode in this year but his DD blew again and he didnt have it for bout 3 weeks of the prime wet powder so it didnt get ran in that, so i guess you can say dry powder, but not fluffy, we rarely get that light of snow here. We had it out in some 4.5 foot or so of powder and he got stuck on flat a few times, where as when we rode in that with the a20 it trenched still, but it kept going. Know what i mean? He lookin around for an RT1000 now though, he made up his mind that hes switching. More for a durabilty issue though

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
So far unless its been the dry deep the pc to me pulls harder and get on top better. It does take a diff clutch setup(in my opinion) and I'm riding a modded 09 m1000 which may be lighter. I know a guy that has a flipped and straightend A20 on a m7 and after he road it for a few times and the tips bent back he swears by it.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
So far unless its been the dry deep the pc to me pulls harder and get on top better. It does take a diff clutch setup(in my opinion) and I'm riding a modded 09 m1000 which may be lighter. I know a guy that has a flipped and straightend A20 on a m7 and after he road it for a few times and the tips bent back he swears by it.
Its an 06 M7, boss seat, head mod, geared down and clutched. Had a can but it ran like poo so its stock again. Its not that we dont think it isnt working good it just isnt any kind of real improvement, i think he would have been happier with a 2.5 CE.. We mainly do super slow tree riding and hillclimbing, just wasnt what we expected, ya its faster on a marsh but when the snow got deep and soft in the trees he was missing the A20. As was i cuz i had to help digg. I was really hoping it would be impressive because i wanted to try something new on my 1M

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Another friend has a 08 m1000 with 2.5 challenger extreme pretty much same mods except he has a head and I have a bdx intake and so far even when my 09 was stock it was going places his couldn't. might be the tunnel though, you could see his dragging and if mine had the 08 tunnel it would have as well. Rode in soft and snow with a hard base(real hard) about a 1'-1' 1/2 deep. But for in the tree riding if theres not some stiffer snow to bight I doubt it would work any better than a A20, but it is a long ways from my 07 stock track,

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I love the new track , it works great . It must have 3 times the grip the old track had . I have a nice A20 162 in the shop waiting for me if i ever change my mind. I just want a 3 inch version now.:beer;

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Another friend has a 08 m1000 with 2.5 challenger extreme pretty much same mods except he has a head and I have a bdx intake and so far even when my 09 was stock it was going places his couldn't. might be the tunnel though, you could see his dragging and if mine had the 08 tunnel it would have as well. Rode in soft and snow with a hard base(real hard) about a 1'-1' 1/2 deep. But for in the tree riding if theres not some stiffer snow to bight I doubt it would work any better than a A20, but it is a long ways from my 07 stock track,
Yes sir i agree about the being WAY better than the 07 challenger, he tried one of those for half the season and.. well, BOOO! Iv just been informed that his is the HCR track, now i know that has a harder duro so ill give it the benefit of the doubt on the soft snow as most hard track trench anyway.. Explains the rip on the packed trail! Oh well, he doesnt own the sled anymore, his dads the proud owner of it! dudes buyin an RT1000, we both got hooked on em at the same time lol. Id like too try the softer Pclaw in some deep softies and give it another try because like i said, id like to put a 141 pclaw on my cat

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I have been trying to get rid of my 151 2" er, But what your saying is the PC won't do any better? It should be as light and spin real good as the 151 spins and hooks up very well for it's size! I have adjusted the limiter straps and have had bad results with them tightened up, Keep them loose with the skiis in the air and it does well! Maybe the PC won't do much better than what I have, But I bet it will as it should have extra track speed and deeper paddles. I did everything I can to free up the power to the ground, No wonder I was over revving @ 7800, What a difference a couple grams of weight will do on the ol'e 1M. I still wan't to try the PC but would like a 156 version, But will probably have have to settle on the 153! I think it is all in set-up as most work and few don't! And please don't tell me that they only work on the M sleds?

Mike

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I road with a buddy that has a rt1000, just got it when we went out, he wont ride with me anymore, I guess I should have taken it a little easier. Can I ask why you would go to a rt1000. The hcr track does explain a lot as well.

153 on a 1m, I think you would be amazed at the diff.

Premium Features