• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which sled for a deep day?

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
A friend has two sleds... 2005 M7 and a 2007 M8. Both 153, both stock. As you may recall, the M7's of that vintage have the Attack 20 track which I remember being an excellent powder track (I had one way back when). The M8 has the Challenger track. Both are 2.25" lugs if i remember correctly.

Friend says on a powder day he's taking the M7 because of the track. I even agreed with this initially, then thought hey, let's post and see what everybody else thinks.

Thoughts?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think he’s right. 07 was first year 800 and 1000. They weren't that great until 09. My buddy had an 07 m8 and m1000. We spanked him all the time.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My buddy had an attack 20 on his king cat and hated it. Then one day we were in west Yellowstone and it was insanely deep. He just started laughing. Sled just jumped up on snow and it was awesome for those conditions.

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 10, 2023
Mobile
The Attack 20 is an awful track in anything but powder. I remember mine... going downhill in slippery conditions and I had no brakes. I had two M7s... one new out of the box (never should have sold it) and then a couple years later an M6 that I put the 700 cylinders on, longtracked it from 141 to 153, and put a Challenger track on it. I remember it being lightyears better in typical Sierra Cement but I don't remember if I had any powder days on it.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would probably say M7 too. Still have mine that I bought new in 05. Although it now has a CE 2.5 track with the sawtooth pattern. Still have an attack 20 track in the garage, but I cut and screwed it for hillcross now.

J
Jul 21, 2022
USA
A friend has two sleds... 2005 M7 and a 2007 M8. Both 153, both stock. As you may recall, the M7's of that vintage have the Attack 20 track which I remember being an excellent powder track (I had one way back when). The M8 has the Challenger track. Both are Tutuapp 9Apps 2.25" lugs if i remember correctly.

Friend says on a powder day he's taking the M7 because of the track. I even agreed with this initially, then thought hey, let's post and see what everybody else thinks.

Thoughts?
I think your friend got it right

arcticridr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2003
Redding Ca
M7, attack was by far the best powder track for those bottomless days , had one on my KK till I stabbed it and did a headlight check 🤬😂 still have an M6 with that track and it still gets around in that bottomless stuff better than bigger sleds , sucks big ones in the wet stuff flat scary coming down hill and squirely on the trails . M8 wasn't a hit till 2010 when they tweeked the mapping and bumped HP , miss it on my KK till I have to come down something I shouldn't have went up😂😂

Premium Features