• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thought the powerclaw was suppose to improve my sled

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
got bored. point is I would put money on the PC I wipped everything less than a turbo on my slp 07 m1000 with stock track and my bone stock 09 would beat it, track all the way.

Last edited:
S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
I have spent quite a bit of time on a RT1000 with a Dynoport single exhaust setup, basically stock other than that. It was a 162" track, which I think is too much.

Will it be competitive with the M1000, for sure, they each have their strong points. The RT has crazy bottom end (TRA clutch) and phenomenal traction with the 162" on hardpack or in the deep. Sometimes it seems like too much track ever for that powerful machine. It could use a box to tune out a rich spot around 5800rpm with the pipe, but other than that the machine runs spot on. It's heavy, don't deny it. It feels about 50lbs heavier than the M1000, and the skis and front suspension need work to get ride of a nasty death wabble it will get you in on the hardpack off the throttle in some bumps. New skis and more preload would help there. It's super plush on the bumps up the trail too. Great machine, just too big and long (in 162", 151" may help that part), and definitely tires you out even quicker than the M1000 will for it's size in weight. I got on an XP and thought it was such a nice break after wrestling the big 1000's in the deep for a few hours.

The M1000's will lay over almost upside down in a powder turn if you want with little effort, the Rev's/XP's you have to kick them over hard on one running board to motivate them to get completely sideways like an M-Series does. I can go downhill on my M1000 sitting and just turn the skis and lean it right over completely on it's side for however long I wish and flip it over to the other side in an instant. It takes alot of effort to get that RT to go some places, and I'll tell you what, if she don't want to go there, you won't make it go there! When that big sled starts to go one way or another, if your not on top of it before it moves it will pull you down with it. I'm 195lbs without gear and can throw my M1000 around like nothing, and can make the RT move pretty good, but nothing like my M. Just the way of the chassis. I can see it getting better with the 151" track, but not by much enough to make it feel like it lost 50lbs.

The Powerclaw on the M1000 and the tunnel changes could only make it better for the big M10. Price you pay for power/torque of the big boys I guess..... Both are great sleds, no sled today is a "BAD" purchase. Just depends what you want a sled to do for YOUR type of riding. I definitely would only recommend an RT1000 to 200lb+ riders, it has alot of room for anyone over 6' tall.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I have spent quite a bit of time on a RT1000 with a Dynoport single exhaust setup, basically stock other than that. It was a 162" track, which I think is too much.

Will it be competitive with the M1000, for sure, they each have their strong points. The RT has crazy bottom end (TRA clutch) and phenomenal traction with the 162" on hardpack or in the deep. Sometimes it seems like too much track ever for that powerful machine. It could use a box to tune out a rich spot around 5800rpm with the pipe, but other than that the machine runs spot on. It's heavy, don't deny it. It feels about 50lbs heavier than the M1000, and the skis and front suspension need work to get ride of a nasty death wabble it will get you in on the hardpack off the throttle in some bumps. New skis and more preload would help there. It's super plush on the bumps up the trail too. Great machine, just too big and long (in 162", 151" may help that part), and definitely tires you out even quicker than the M1000 will for it's size in weight. I got on an XP and thought it was such a nice break after wrestling the big 1000's in the deep for a few hours.

The M1000's will lay over almost upside down in a powder turn if you want with little effort, the Rev's/XP's you have to kick them over hard on one running board to motivate them to get completely sideways like an M-Series does. I can go downhill on my M1000 sitting and just turn the skis and lean it right over completely on it's side for however long I wish and flip it over to the other side in an instant. It takes alot of effort to get that RT to go some places, and I'll tell you what, if she don't want to go there, you won't make it go there! When that big sled starts to go one way or another, if your not on top of it before it moves it will pull you down with it. I'm 195lbs without gear and can throw my M1000 around like nothing, and can make the RT move pretty good, but nothing like my M. Just the way of the chassis. I can see it getting better with the 151" track, but not by much enough to make it feel like it lost 50lbs.

The Powerclaw on the M1000 and the tunnel changes could only make it better for the big M10. Price you pay for power/torque of the big boys I guess..... Both are great sleds, no sled today is a "BAD" purchase. Just depends what you want a sled to do for YOUR type of riding. I definitely would only recommend an RT1000 to 200lb+ riders, it has alot of room for anyone over 6' tall.
Good to hear your take on it. Im still pretty confident that its gonna be fun. Ill be getting a 151 for sure and timbersled skid and well, it will be the ride of my life till i set my sights on something even bigger! I dont agree with the REV being hard to carve part however. REVs are meant to be carved with one hand, easiest sled to carve and doesnt drag, but thats my opinion on the chassi

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Sorry, may have worded a little bad there. Rev's carve pretty decent, it's the RT that changes everything with the wider front bulkhead chassis that doesn't make it impossible, just harder. I do find the Rev's are less work to KEEP sideways than the XP, but neither of those compare to the M-Series for being abled to lay them on their side no matter how long the sidehill or powder carve with minimal effort.

If I owned an RT, as you mentioned, it would need to go on a crazy diet of minimum 50-75lbs for me to be happy with it and no longer of a track than 154". I've ridden 144-159" Doo's and think the 154" worked best, but all had the same trade mark off/on throttle deep snow traction under 15MPH because of the 16" wide. IMO it takes a good boosted sled to keep a 162X16" wide turning over 50MPH track speed and hold it there as well. My M1000 153" with SLP pipe setup sure works hard to keep my track going over 50MPH and I think that's what edges it out over the RT1000, even if it's only another 5-10 ft higher on a climb, it's still higher.... Technical climbs through the trees make me nervous on the big stock RT cause it might not want to go where I want it to when the weight starts to get thrown around. Good luck, you will have a tractor that won't be beat by much for traction on the hill! I would take a TRA clutch anyday for boondocking. :beer;

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Good point! Just to be clear, all the Doo's I was referring too all had the sway bars pulled within the first weekend. That would help the RT in the dance it does off the thottle on some bumps, but is mandatory to be taken off to help throw that mega long tunnel/skid around the trees....

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
I didnt realize the marketshare they are capturing from one-armed riders. Does your sled have a sway bar? If so its sole purpose is to prevent roll......like making pow turns lol
Carved fine with the sway bar on, only difference i felt was drivin on a trail on one ski, thats the difference taking the sway bar off for me. I honestly dont even think it was worth the work to take it off. Only saved me a pound if even that and it still smashes around the corners. Ill be going back to a 4 wheel axle next year though so well see what happens, as people always tell me the only reason MINE carves so easy is because im big or its the 2 wheels kit lol, those dragon riders couldnt pull a bike on its side, and majority of the M riders that only like it because its "easy to tip over"

Sparx im feelin your take on the 16 wide being heavy feeling under long pulls, makes good sense as i never thought about how you can even hear the track spinning faster on 15 wides, which is why i mentioned id still like to try a pclaw 141 on my 1M because its for hauling *** and nothing else. Well see next season!! One more question sparx, whats the ski width on the RT? The summit i rode had the skis shimmed all the way out and he didnt know what it measured out too. Thanks

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
"Like the M because they tip over easy", Thats it:D, I was being nice and still like the doos but even a 09 slp M8 will stomp a rt in every aspect a 09 slp m1000 just brings shame, You may want to go back to the doo threads.:D

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
"Like the M because they tip over easy", Thats it:D, I was being nice and still like the doos but even a 09 slp M8 will stomp a rt in every aspect a 09 slp m1000 just brings shame, You may want to go back to the doo threads.:D
Haha you internet boys are great. AKMC800, we live in the same state so stick around and ill show you something next season since your quite sure over the internet. I never said the RT would beat your precious M at any point i said its a decent comparison and i was even saying that WITH a timbersled skid and more ****, so you should be happy i didnt come in here trying to say it would smash your precious M1000 with slp top end, good for you and you 190 hp sled. You girls, i mean guys probly dont like apex's either "cuz theyre hard to carve and actually hook up when you hit the gas so it makes it hard to lean over and sidehill.. Grow up and get real. I came in here with my experience with the powerclaw and stated my opinion, the thread died and i "thought" i was having a convo with wyoboy1000 but since you guys are too sensitive about these sleds never mind then. Oh, and your precious M got jacked from a cat dealer mc800, mines wouldnt because it doesnt go to the shop, fool. Enjoy your red repping me, girls

Last edited:
M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Sorry, may have worded a little bad there. Rev's carve pretty decent, it's the RT that changes everything with the wider front bulkhead chassis that doesn't make it impossible, just harder. I do find the Rev's are less work to KEEP sideways than the XP, but neither of those compare to the M-Series for being abled to lay them on their side no matter how long the sidehill or powder carve with minimal effort.

If I owned an RT, as you mentioned, it would need to go on a crazy diet of minimum 50-75lbs for me to be happy with it and no longer of a track than 154". I've ridden 144-159" Doo's and think the 154" worked best, but all had the same trade mark off/on throttle deep snow traction under 15MPH because of the 16" wide. IMO it takes a good boosted sled to keep a 162X16" wide turning over 50MPH track speed and hold it there as well. My M1000 153" with SLP pipe setup sure works hard to keep my track going over 50MPH and I think that's what edges it out over the RT1000, even if it's only another 5-10 ft higher on a climb, it's still higher.... Technical climbs through the trees make me nervous on the big stock RT cause it might not want to go where I want it to when the weight starts to get thrown around. Good luck, you will have a tractor that won't be beat by much for traction on the hill! I would take a TRA clutch anyday for boondocking. :beer;

Just gotta pipe in here...a few of us took out the new rt 1000, I have my viper 835 and after gettin off the viper and switching to the RT,,,,what a pig. ..Had decent power down low, but went exactly where it wanted to go. I could not even follow my bud ridding my viper in his tracks in turtle. Giving away about 20% in size of the motor the viper would eat the rt-1000 in a drag race on the lake...up the hill..and back to the truck. The BEST track speed I saw on the rt-1000 was 44 mph, but it was a bugare''' to side hill or follow. Just ttttooooo heavy. Does not have the balance of the Yami 4 stroke.(they fffeeellll) light in the pow. but we know they aren't

IMG_0513.jpg Apex ride 004.jpg

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
Cat, have you even ever rode a m series before? I rode doo's my whole riding career (12 years) and i switched 5 weeks ago to a 09 m1000 and never have looked back. I think you should really ride a cat before you are so doo happy. By ride i mean actually spend a day or two on one with an open mind. I loved my rev to the end but after i spend an hour on my m1000, the rev felt like old tech. I even get on my pops xp and it feels like a tank even though on paper my m1000 weighs 60 pounds more.

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Cat, have you even ever rode a m series before? I rode doo's my whole riding career (12 years) and i switched 5 weeks ago to a 09 m1000 and never have looked back. I think you should really ride a cat before you are so doo happy. By ride i mean actually spend a day or two on one with an open mind. I loved my rev to the end but after i spend an hour on my m1000, the rev felt like old tech. I even get on my pops xp and it feels like a tank even though on paper my m1000 weighs 60 pounds more.
No iv never ridden one. I only came into this thread talkin about how my friend and i werent all that happy with the power claw he put on his M, the same guy i ride with every trip and we switch sleds constanty, and do a lot of two up on em because **** breaks constantly with us. If you want the best report iv got from his sled is that it two ups better because my floats dont hold 2 riders up on my rev! Havent taken the 2 too do any open hill climbing this year, his m7 highmarked the rev by a constand 20ft feet last year, do i care? No. The rev was also stock then and would only hold 6500 rpm where as his M ran like a raped ape.. Do i want an M yet?? No. IV got nothing wrong with the M, iv got a problem with how it gets through deeep *** snow in the trees where the throttle isnt wide open and its doing 20mph up a hill. Im glad you like your m1000 more than you STOCK rev.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
when you say rev are you talking rt 1000? I know you never said it would beat my m1000, but you haven't actually had the experience on both sleds when they both ripped. I have, and with a open mind I can honestly tell you in the areas I ride in, Many rt 1000 have been embarrassed by my 07 and 09 m1000, there is not a lot of diff in some instances from a stock 07 m1000 and a stock rt 1000 but the m1000 will still win on the average, on a m you can mod them all day long without worries so why not. A 09 m1000 will stomp a rt1000 as well so mine is a 09 slp bdx bd 162 m1000 I've beet turbo sleds, practically stopped on hills and pulled the skis and took off again. I know you are holding on to what you know, I've done the same thing. I really don't care and I take all opinions and learn so you wont be getting any red from me!

But I don't ride where you do and will give you that. So if you find some way to prove me wrong let me know and I will give it up.

Also I can ride any sled to its max even a rx-1ton, the m just does more and better, other than big big air, give it up to a light xp.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
One more question sparx, whats the ski width on the RT? The summit i rode had the skis shimmed all the way out and he didnt know what it measured out too. Thanks

We have the skis set on the narrow position. It is the narrowest width sled in the group as it is running stock skis and the rest even on the narrowest are running the wider Simmons Skis. We did this to help the machine carve better through the trees with the 162", but that track is just too long in the end...

As I said before, any sled now a days are so good I think it's the rider that makes the difference in most groups. Just buy what you want in the end....

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
You can put a 162 anywhere a 151 will go, just depends on the rider. if your working through the trees up hill the 162 is more forgiving, I can all but stop going up hill and take off again, thanks to the powerclaw, couldn't slow down near as much with my 07.

Premium Features